PDA

View Full Version : The fairy tern – my ‘aumakua

Kater
08-18-2003, 10:12 PM
I want to share with you the most charming of Hawaii's seabirds----THE FAIRY TERN!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p94eb14c1315e70c9d0dccff6ac1cc1fe/fb5a3746.jpg

THE FAIRY TERN is a celestial vision: Its silky plumage pure white, its slender wings translucent, its large, black-rimmed eyes the deepest midnight blue. When one hovers above you, all innocent curiosity, you can easily understand why on some tropical islands it is called the Holy Ghost bird.

http://www.nwf.org/internationalwildlife/1998/fairy.html
(The following text is my summary from the above webpage)

The female does not build a nest. Instead she balances her single cream-colored, brown-speckled, slightly spherical egg on branches without so much as a twig, feather or piece of mud to help keep it there. The only thing parent terns do to keep their eggs from rolling to the ground is sit on them. But still, eggs fall all the time. The male and female take turns incubating their egg. Only one-third to one-half of fairy tern eggs laid actually produce chicks. :( Male and female fairy terns look identical, mate for life and live for 16 to 18 years.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p3a2378c38166df7f38c6d7a65337b1d2/fb5a374f.jpg

Such high-risk hatching is like being born on a swinging trapeze, but the chick arrives prepared for danger. It is a little ball of fluffy down with oversized, long-toed feet and an innate and imperative urge to clamp itself instantly to its natal branch. So strong is its grip that should a gust of wind topple the chick, it will hang upside down, then right itself with frantic cheeping and wild flutterings of tiny wings.

Fairy terns have mastered the neat trick of catching and holding many fish at once without dropping any of them. They fish close to home in offshore waters, usually in late evening or early morning. It is probable that in the soft-gray light of dawn and dusk, a bird's pure- white plumage and translucent wings and tail render it virtually invisible against the softly shining sky. A hunting fairy tern hovers on rapidly vibrating wings above the sea, dives suddenly and snatches a small fish or squid from the surface without ever getting wet. That is an important precaution because, unlike gulls and other seabirds, its delicate plumage is not waterproof.

An adult often returns to its chick with a dozen or more fish, some nearly as long as the chick itself, neatly lined up crosswise in its bill. Maw agape, the youngster swallows the fish headfirst, leaving half out. It digests a part, sits squat--its eyes closed--and swallows convulsively. More fish glides down. Each day, the growing chick can eat about half its weight in food.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p50460e1cbc8739a2569658d86776e6dd/fb5a2dd7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p7d807aeae48804edb4499c00e6ff87d0/fb5a374c.jpg
“FEED ME!”

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p48d2fa16a014f9a9da72429d0caa1a24/fb5a373b.jpg

For all that, a young fairy tern grows surprisingly slowly. From a roundish ball of brown-gray down, it becomes longer and slimmer and gradually sheds its baby down to reveal the brown-white speckled plumage of a juvenile. Both parents feed their chick until it can fly. Chicks take their first flight at about 7 weeks old, before they've lost all their down or fully grown their wings. They can fish on their own two weeks after that.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p93145d749b3019fed6136039251b21a4/fb5a3750.jpg
This Chick is only a week old and measures about six inches high. The little flying fish is approximately the same length as the chick and it took 45 minutes to eat with a few breaks for rest in the exhausting task.

Baby fairy terns are extremely obedient to their mother's commands. When she sees something threatening, such as an approaching dog, she gives a sharp call and they all drop belly down and remain completely immobile, like a stone. They don't move till they hear the "all clear" call. They don't move even if you pick them up and put them back in almost any position.

One of the physical features that makes these seabirds so lovable is a ring of black feathers surrounding each dark blue eye. This gives the birds a wide-eyed, innocent look that can melt even the coldest heart.

The rest of the album can be viewed at: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289366497

Kater
08-18-2003, 10:13 PM
I have loved these birds from the first day I “met” one. Let me explain…

Fairy terns can fly distances when they need to, but they can also hover in one spot like, well, fairies. Since they're often curious and unafraid, fairy terns sometimes seek out and follow people, humming and twanging just above your head.

Every time I would take Jack out for his evening romp in the field behind my house, these birds would be out and about, and would hover over me as I threw Jack balls and frisbees. I was totally enchanted by their friendliness and beauty. My parents would often see them in the early dawn hours when they took their walk around the neighborhood and they were equally taken by these striking creatures. At some point, after we had learned some things about these fascinating jewels of birds, we decided to claim fairy terns our ‘aumakua. An ‘aumakua is defined as a benevolent guardian spirit or family protector. In the past, each Hawaiian ohana (family) had an 'aumakua or ancestral guardian spirit for protection, comfort and spiritual support. ‘Aumakuas were thought to possess both awesome power and loving concern.

Though some view the practice as a religious one involving worship, most, regard it as a continuation of an ancient belief system, a cultural practice that does not interfere with other religious beliefs. Nonetheless, for those who have a relationship with their 'aumakua, it remains a powerful force. It has been a real stronghold for me in this difficult past year – my first year away from home at college.

One way to explain the relationship might be to compare it to the feelings a person might have for his elders. When in a difficult situation one might recall the lessons that your grandparents or another respected elder taught you. This grants wonderful feelings assuring you that they’ll be there to watch over you. So like a revisiting a time of guidance from someone you look up to, your ancestral god might appear in a dream to furnish guidance or spiritual strength in difficult times. This is what it is like to have an ‘aumakua. However, beyond this ‘aumakua were even thought to bring warnings of coming misfortune and deliverance from immediate danger through dreams, visions and physical manifestations.

In ancient times, families were careful not to eat certain forms of animal life if their 'aumakua was thought to appear in that form, for if they did, they knew the punishment could be as severe as death. Offerings of taro leaves with sincere prayers could abate the anger of an offended 'aumakua. In my own way I follow this practice by abstaining from all animal products.

This does not mean every fairy tern is my 'aumakua because not every fairy tern will be “gracious” to you. (However, fairy terns are a more apt to interact with humans than the animals others often choose for ‘aumakuas—sharks, turtles, hawks, lizards, owls, rats, octopuses, etc) 'Aumakua are identified very specifically by body markings, and are named. They are part of the family. There is a direct connection, a blood relationship. However, one will always be able to recognize their ‘aukmakua, no matter what form it chose.

As the major gods of the Hawaiian universe caused the rain to fall and make the lands fertile, the sun to rise and travel slowly across the sky, and the ocean to be plentiful with fish, so the 'aumakua, the personal gods, managed the simpler aspects of daily life, which were equally important in the scheme of things.

Why did I share this? Well, I wanted to share the fairy tern with you animal lovers because I think it is a little known jewel of a being. I was putting together an imagestation album of great fairy tern pictures I found on the ‘net for the sole purpose of printing them out when I go back to school and taping them onto my dorm room walls and ceilings. However, I couldn’t keep these wonderful photos to myself and wanted to share them with my fellow PTers! As for why I shared my personal story about my ‘aumakua and some of the history behind this Hawaiian belief--- well, I want to show PT a bit of the Hawaiian culture. But I also have this inkling that perhaps by sharing this ancient belief system with those that might otherwise never learn of it--- I might help someone discover this practice and experience its calming, reassuring, magical, helpful, strengthening force – as I have.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Karen
08-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Very nice, thank you for sharing! :) They are so sweet!

Uabassoon
08-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Those birds are so beautiful! THey don't even look real, they look like something out of a fairy tale.

popcornbird
08-19-2003, 02:19 AM
Wow! They are SO beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Do you see these a lot in Hawaii?

Soledad
08-19-2003, 06:53 AM
I've never seen such a gorgeous bird. So delicate and so angelic!!!

anna_66
08-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Thank you so much for sharing your personal history and these beautiful winged creatures with all of us here at PT:)
They are just absolutely the most gorgeous bird I have ever seen.
Thanks for teaching me something new today!

Kater
08-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Wow! They are SO beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Do you see these a lot in Hawaii?

They are quite rare, actually. At the house I grew up in (I moved to another part of the island a year ago) we had 6-8 adults living in a tree in our backyard. It was a great location for them as the tree was mature with many branches and only about one block from the ocean.

This website lists them as uncommon: http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/Biology101/lab/Lab01/birds/campus_birds.htm
This website has some really great pictures of some of our local birds!

ramanth
08-19-2003, 12:43 PM
What an absolutely stunning bird!

Thank you so much for sharing the info and your story. :D

(You're never too old to learn :D )