PDA

View Full Version : How do you go about fostering?

catlover4ever
08-18-2003, 09:27 AM
I know that sounds like a stupid question, but I was wondering from all of you out there, what made you decide to foster? Do you have to have certain qualifications? How do you begin (I know really stupid question)?

I know that my calling in life was to work with cats, but I never thought myself smart enough to go to vet school, or to become a vet tech, instead I was a flight attendant and now have settled into life as a secretary (don't get me wrong I love both jobs) but I have always had it in the back of my head that I want to care for animals (cats especially). As most of you know I have 5 babies already. My husband says "no" to keeping anymore, but I just can not let it go.....I really have a longing in my heart that something is missing, so I was thinking of asking him if he would consider letting me foster.

Thank you in advance for any advice, tips, etc....I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

Thanks, Meg

jenluckenbach
08-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Why to foster? Because I was running out of room to adopt......hee hee.......and then I did ANYWAY (totally another story). But seriously, foster because you want the cats to be in a home environment (vs. a cage in a shelter or worse, on the street) until a suitable home can be found.

How to get started? Find a rescue group in your area and talk to someone. Each group will have their ideas on qualifications. (And I am not necessarily talking about YOUR qualification, more so, I am talking about whether they pay for food/litter/vet bills, do they prefer you keep the fosters seperate/or intermingling with the resident cats.......stuff like that).

emily_the_spoiled
08-18-2003, 10:52 AM
I am a foster home for military pets. I made the decision to foster this way for a couple of reasons. First of all this was my first time being a foster home and this organization has everything spelled out very clearly (you even sign a contract). Secondly, if I were to foster an orphan I think that I would want to keep them. This way I know that the cats have owners that love them and will come back for them.

http://www.netpets.org/netp/foster.php

I currently have two fosters and two of my own, so it makes life interesting when I am trying to feed them. But I do not regret this opportunity a bit.

Cheryl

catlover4ever
08-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Jen, thanks for the info. :)

rosethecopycat
08-18-2003, 01:15 PM
I am a foster for siameserescue.org

I like how they support you in every way. Communication, financially, finding adopters for you.

All you have to do is some paperwork and care for and love on those cats.

:)

If you go to siameserescue.org you can find a place to inquire about being a foster.

It's so fun!
:D

rosethecopycat

Soledad
08-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Why can't you be a vet tech? I think it's sad that you don't feel you are smart enough to be one and I'm fairly certain that you're wrong. Not that this would mean you can't foster as well, but it concerns me that you've given up on a dream before you've even tried. :(

catlover4ever
08-18-2003, 02:03 PM
A great big thank you to everyone who responded. I will be talking to my husband tonight.

Soledad, thank you for the vote of confidence, I have the book smarts and the common sense to make it as a vet tech, but my other knowledge is just not there (ie. chemistry, algebra, etc).

Wish me luck, my husband is a hard sell.

Soledad
08-18-2003, 02:17 PM
I think you should still look into it. It is my understanding that algebra/chemistry requirements of a vet tech are not that rigorous. I think most of that falls solely on the veterinarians. I have even seen positions for vet techs in the paper that say "training will be provided."