PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I'm weak, I admit it.

moosmom
08-18-2003, 08:36 AM
I was chatting with some members last night and finally admitted that I have started going back to the shelter to volunteer. I miss the cats too much. Especially the kittens in the nursery. There's this one little guy that I'm going to work with who could be Eli's twin. He's feral and terrified of any human contact. I just sat on the floor yesterday for an hour stroking him and whispering to him. He does NOT want to be picked up yet. But I'm sure he'll come around in time. I love a challenge and he's definitely a challenge. I'm going to make sure that he gets a great home once he's socialized.

As a matter of fact (ahem, okay, I admit it, I'm in love and my sworn statement of never fostering again has wained :(, there is an adorable 5 week old orangie little girl named Toby who needs a foster home. :D :D :D She's getting a complete health check up. I have already asked to foster her. Something tells me I'm gonna end up with 9 cats :eek: :eek:

ramanth
08-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Donna, you're a sucker like me. ;) :D

Best of luck with Toby! I want pics!

Randi
08-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Donna, I love your kind of weakness! :D Toby sounds like a real cutie, and who can resist an orangie anyway. ;) Best of luck!!

Barbara
08-18-2003, 09:56 AM
You aren't weak- you are incredibly strong and you will make a difference for many of the little ones out there in the shelter.

Good luck this time. May all your experiences be happy:) :)

jenluckenbach
08-18-2003, 10:03 AM
:D

bisi.cat
08-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Randi
Toby sounds like a real cutie, and who can resist an orangie anyway. ;)
Yes, how true!!!
The best of luck with your new addition!!! Pictures, please!!!

moosmom
08-18-2003, 01:51 PM
I called the shelter and Cathy said she tested negative for Feline Leuk and Aids. I'm unsure as to whether I should foster her or not. I'm already in love with her. I just don't want any of my cats to get sick. Cathy told me that alot of the kittens that were in the nursery have been sent to isolation because of a URI. When I asked her if Toby has the sneezes or ookie eyes, she said "not yet". What should I do??

Any advice you guys can give me? Just the thought of this little poop in a cage breaks my heart.

rg_girlca
08-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Well Moosmom my opinion would be to wait. To me your kitties at home should come first. You wouldn't want to chance bringing in a sick kitty and then having the whole household sick also.
I know it must be hard for you as you seem to love this little one so much.
Go with what you think is best. As my mom use to always say to me, "Go with your head, not your heart."
Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure everyone will be behind you 100%.
Good luck
Also you are not weak. You just have to much heart to not help these precious little one's who need you.

moosmom
08-18-2003, 02:26 PM
rg_girlca,

You've made alot of sense. I've decided to wait til the end of the week. If there IS a URI coming in her, I'll sure know by then and save my cats alot of problems and myself alot of money. My first responsibility IS to my 8 other furbabies. And I know the shelter won't pick up the tab should any of them get sick from Toby.

Thanks for your advice. Your mother is a very smart woman!!! You are too!

((((hugs))))

ramanth
08-18-2003, 02:51 PM
I was going to reiterate what rg_girlca said, but I see you already saw the advice. :D

*HUGS*

rg_girlca
08-18-2003, 04:37 PM
You're welcome Donna.:D
I'm glad you decided to wait, and I hope you are able to foster little Toby. She sounds like a sweetheart.

((((Huggies)))) to you too.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-19-2003, 01:04 AM
Donna, I think you got some good advice - as you said - your first priority HAS to be for your existing Furkids.

And I DON'T THINK YOU'RE WEAK - you just have a big heart and so much love to share - and I think that's something to be proud of ;)

NoahsMommy
08-19-2003, 01:49 AM
You are SO not weak!! Only YOU know your limit, financially and time-wise.

You're such a sweetie Donna. :)

moosmom
08-19-2003, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone for such wonderful advice and support. I called Cathy and told her that I'm afraid I won't be able to foster Toby, as much as I want to. She has a MUCH better chance of getting a home if she's at the shelter where she can be seen in person(who couldn't fall in love with her???) than if she stayed with me. It was a decision made from my heart. I always try to listen to my gut instincts. But when it comes to cats, my heart always takes over. This time is different. I'm sure lil Toby will get a home in the blink of an eye. In the meantime, I can go visit her, smooch her belly and love her all I want till the time comes when someone else realizes what a wonderful little girl she is.

Thanks again guys! I love ya!!