PDA

View Full Version : Toys with feathers....

Kirsten
08-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Just a question... Do you think these kind of toys is dangerous to cats, especially to kittens? Mine got a set of toys today, and some of them have these colored feathers on it. Of course they love it - but they pull them out and chew on them, and I'm wondering if there are any health risks, especially when they eat them... After all, when they catch birds, they also eat some of their feathers and puke them out later.

What do you think?

Kirsten

Barbara
08-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Tigris and Filou never ate the feathers. They just were happy to pull them out. I sometimes brought them feathers I found outside (not thinking about whether they are healthy or not) and they just had fun in destroying them.

:)

BastetsMum
08-17-2003, 03:36 PM
Bastet loves pulling the feathers out, licking them and leaving a wet, coloured, soggy mess on the floor for me to pick up later. She never ate them but gave them a darn good cleaning!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Kirsten
08-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Hmmm, Luna ate some a couple of months ago (from a toy mouse), but didn't seem to have any problems after that. But I'm wondering about baby Lily...

Kirsten

krazyaboutkatz
08-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Mine also love their feather toys. They pull the feathers out and chew on them until they'll all wet. :) I don't know if they've ever eaten them before. If they have it didn't hurt them. I would just try to supervise little Lily just in case there might be a problem.

jazzcat
08-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Jazz is the only feather crazy cat here and she too tends to pull them out and lick them to death. Ripley and Scout don't seem to care for feathered things too much.

rosethecopycat
08-17-2003, 05:26 PM
Feathers aren't a particular problem here. The big problem is mylar stringy toys. BANNED.

Only mylar mice and balls are allowed now.
:rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
08-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Feathers are fabulous! (say the kittens). I have not had any problens yet. The foster kittens LOVE their feathers as do the adults.

puppygrrl4eva7
08-17-2003, 06:39 PM
A few years ago I got some peacock feathers for the cats, they were destroyed within a day:rolleyes:

Cataholic
08-17-2003, 07:38 PM
I wonder if the feathers have the hard end to them, sometimes what is used to glue them onto the stick. That would be my concern...I take the feathers to the trash, once the kitty has de-feathered it...