PDA

View Full Version : Uggggh! Constipated Pups

aly
08-17-2003, 12:51 PM
My puppies are 10 days old now and I've had them for 9 days. They've not been doing too good in the potty business. For the first couple days it was bad diarrhea which is to be expected because the formula usually does that to them. Now they are both really constipated. That is pretty much to be expected also, but just now when I was trying to get Piper to go, she went a tiny bit and there was a drop of blood :( :( :(

I'm going to talk with the vet and see if there is anything I can do. I guess I just sort of had to vent this out. They are stressing me out soooo bad. Sebastian has got this habit of nursing on his sister .. in a very bad place!!!!!!!!!!!! So I can never get her to pee for me, then I figured out what he was doing and figured he was stimulating her to pee all the time. I feed them every 2 hours again, but he still keeps doing it :eek:

kingrattus
08-17-2003, 09:54 PM
My dad told me that I use to get ill like the puppies on name brand formula (or something like that) He said he put me on a Soy one & presto, not one single problem.

I saw on tv once that a lady with tiny pups had given them southers (sp), somthe to suck on & she said the pups did much better & didn't suckle on eachother, which is bad. If my dads home tomorrow I'll try to get the name of the formula & it just might work on the puppies too (talk to the vet first of course)

tikeyas_mom
08-17-2003, 11:51 PM
well since they are 10 days old the mother dog would usually stimulate for the puppies to urinate and poop, where is the mother dog? I am confused lol. :o

aly
08-18-2003, 12:01 AM
They are my fosters and I stimulate them for pottying. But they are constipated and struggling.

Anyway, I had them in at the clinic at the shelter today and they got a little warm water squirted into their bums :o Since then, they have both had a much easier time with going potty :)

They are doing great otherwise. Very strong and healthy.

tikeyas_mom
08-18-2003, 12:05 AM
I am very happy they are better, any pics. I didnt know you were fostering these pups. what happend to their mother??? poor things. they are in good hands

aly
08-18-2003, 03:18 AM
Their pics are in this thread :

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31853

Thanks for the info Kingrattus.

Cookiebaker
08-18-2003, 06:43 AM
So glad to hear that they are doing a bit better.

I can only imagine how stressful it is, Aly! But everyday is a milestone, and pretty soon they will be jumping and wrestling. Thank you so much for caring for them!! ;)

anna_66
08-18-2003, 07:02 AM
I'm so glad to hear that they are no longer constipated:) and doing good. Any new pictures?