PDA

View Full Version : So upset with UPS!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-17-2003, 03:38 AM
I ordered a new Laptop for my hubby off the internet. It was shipped by UPS, ADDRESSED TO ME, with the delivery address being my office, as there is no-one at home to sign for it.

UPS delivered it, and instead of asking for me, they just let the stupid woman in reception sign for it - and now it's missing! My company does not cover personal belongings, I hadn't added it to my household insurance ('cos I hadn't received it yet - DUH) - and UPS say they are not liable because they have a signature, and their responsibility ends when they get a signature at the destination address.

I said to them "but it was addressed to ME - not the company" but according to the *&^%$ manager at UPS if a package is delivered to a business ANYONE can sign for it and it's good enough for them - as long as they have proof of delivery they don't even care if the package reaches the right person!!!

I am so upset right now - I have to wave goodbye to almost 2 months salary! I'm in the middle of moving house, and am working two jobs to try to get ahead financially, and now THIS happens! I just feel like crying:( :( :(

popcornbird
08-17-2003, 03:56 AM
Oh my goodness. :( That just sucks. :(:(

When UPS comes to our house, if its addressed to my dad, any one of us signs and they're ok with that. They don't care who signs, just that it was delivered at the right address. If there's no one at home, they just leave it outside, no matter how expensive the item might be! :eek: I didn't realize they would let just *anyone* sign it at a company! Its different at home because its still going to the right household and the right family, but company? Gosh that's so awful. :( I hope you can try to do something that can get you your computer back. Try talking to the company and see if they can find out who has it or where the person who recieved it put it. I hope its not stolen. :(:(:(

Karen
08-17-2003, 08:35 AM
What does the woman who signed for it say?

RubyMutt
08-17-2003, 08:43 AM
That is horrible :( Is there someone at your work that you could talk to? Maybe that receptionist's supervisor? Since that package was signed for it was obviously in the building, IMHO, your company should be trying to get you that package! :mad:

But that is true about UPS. When something is signature required they just need anyones' signature from that address, not necessarily the adressee. At my work I often have to sign for everyone's packages in the whole building. If I went to every person and asked them to sign for their own package they would probably laugh in my face :rolleyes:

Felicia's Mom
08-17-2003, 08:48 AM
I am sorry that happened. My cat litter is delivered UPS and I have never had a problem with it.

bluekat
08-17-2003, 09:19 AM
I'd be really mad too if I was you. That's horrible! I'm so sorry to hear that.
I was wondering too, what did the woman say?

sasvermont
08-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Sometimes car insurance covers items not in your home, but also not in your car....for example: things taken from a school locker...etc. It's worth a try.

I would grill the person who signed for it and find out where she had it placed after she signed for it. It should have a serial number as well, and I wonder if when the person who stole it, registers the software, they (the computer company) could let you know.

I would be irate!

Keep us posted.

SAS

Tonya
08-17-2003, 09:46 AM
That is BS! I would continue fighting that. Don't listen to what the 1st level manager says. Escalate it as high up the chain as you can. The first few levels of management don't have as much power. Also, contact the company who sent it. Maybe they have some pull. They should be responsible too.

There's been a few times where I have ordered expensive things and UPS just drops it off on my front porch or at a neighbor I don't know's house.

Once, I had a Candlelite party, so I was expecting about $500 in candles to come to my house...the box said 'Candles, keep out of heat" right on it. They dropped it off on my doorstep Gosh knows when. By the time I got home from work at 6pm, it'd been almost 100 degrees all day, the candles looked horrible. I called Candlelite and told them that they were the ones that shipped it that way, so I was not going to be held responsible. Candlelite dealt with UPS, and UPS covered the damaged candles. I believe the package was insured. Was yours an insured package?

wolfsoul
08-17-2003, 12:17 PM
Oh my gosh, that's terrible! :mad: How could they do that!? I think they need to change their rules, because that is so stupid!

I'm really sorry that you don't have a new laptop now. :( I bet you worked really hard to get it. UPS is stupid.

Uabassoon
08-17-2003, 12:22 PM
I'm sorry about what happened, I hope things get worked out and you get your laptop.

pitc9
08-17-2003, 12:35 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that!!

I hope it turns up!! Have you spoken to the women who signed for it?? She would be the #1 person I would talk to!

Cinder & Smoke
08-17-2003, 01:02 PM
Ally Cat's Mom ~

Don't give up - you just need to talk to some more people!

Start with your Company Manager -
Find out WHAT the Receptionist is "supposed" to do with incomming packages. WHO is allowed to claim them - and is there some accountability when she allows someone to claim a package??

Find out if the Company will help with the investigation - WILL they interview everyone who may have had access to your package? There may be problems if the policy is to just let packages "sit" at the receptionist's area until "someone" picks them up.

If the Company won't help - consider filing a formal complaint of THEFT with the local Police agency... THAT might get some attention.

Did you PAY by credit card?
Contact the CC company to find out if they have any satisfaction guarantees that might help here. ASK the CC company what they will do if you refuse to pay THEM because you never received the item that you charged on their CC.

And demand that UPS report this to their security/theft/fraud department and that you be contacted by a UPS investigator... UPS has trained investigators for this sort of problem.

Contact the SHIPPER -
Find out if the package was insured (and if not - WHY not?)
If it was insured - tell em YOU didn't get it...
Let the Shipper argue with UPS.
The "contract" for delivery was between the Shipper and UPS...
if UPS doesn't have YOUR signature - they can't prove YOU got the item... and you might not have to pay for it.

And DO contact your insurance company!
You might be surprised at what they "may" cover!
You'll never know until you report it to them. MAKE a written claim instead of being told verbally they won't cover it. They will spend a little more time "thinking" about it if your claim is in writing.

And write everything down!
Names, titles, phone numbers, dates, times, and WHAT they said.

Good Luck!

/s/ Phred

emily_the_spoiled
08-17-2003, 01:11 PM
You can also request a copy of the signature that UPS obtained when they delivered the item. This may help you to identify which "stupid woman in reception" signed for it (especially if they deny doing it).

Keep going up the food chain until you find someone willing to help you.

Good luck

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the support - you guys are the best!

I know who signed for it - unfortunately she just says that she signs for loads of packages (which she DOES), and can't remember what happened to that specific one. (Normally an Internal Messenger would deliver to the correct dept. / person, but there is no process to trace this).

I kept on asking the seller to give me a waybill number so I could check on my side, but he told me his shipping dept works with Invoice Numbers, and it took a few days to get the waybill number, by which time it was too late.

They DID have my phone number wrong on the waybill, so UPS was unable to contact me to pay the duty when the item arrived, but instead of holding on to it, UPS just put the duty onto my employers account (we also use UPS for business deliveries) and dropped the item at my office.

I am now arguing with the seller that if he had got my phone number correct (he switched two digits when he captured it on the waybill), and also that if he had given me the waybill number to me I could have traced it, this would not have happened. I have asked him to supply me a replacement (but am not holding my breath).

My only other recourse may be to go to the police and lay a case of theft, and then go to my credit card issuer and file a dispute as I didn't receive the item. (This is a million-to-one shot, as the item WAS delivered, just not to me)

So hold thumbs for me that I'll get something sorted out - It's going to take me another year to save up for a new one!

By the way, I report directly into the GM, and he doesn't give a hoot - the receptionist is a relative of his, and has been working there for years. She is totally incompetent - arrives late / two hours klunch / leaves early / never passes messages - but she is "bullet proof":mad:

emily_the_spoiled
08-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Okay, you know that she signed for a bunch of parcels but there is no official method to trace a parcel once it came into the company.

Is there one specific person who would be making these deliveries? Since it just came in, would it be possible to talk directly with them to see if the remember if it was delivered to someone else that day...

I am actually a little surprised that the seller would have an incorrect phone number for you. Given the amount of money it was worth, you would think that he would want to be able to contact you if something went wrong...

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Re the phone number - I gave him my phone number to include on the waybill, so UPS could get hold of me to arrange delivery, but when his shipping department captured the data they switched two digits, so UPS could not reach me!