PDA

View Full Version : Just made my first batch of RAW food and Micah LOVES it!! :)

NoahsMommy
08-16-2003, 09:51 PM
After going to three specialty/healthy/natural markets and/or butchers, we found all we needed (meat-wise) at Albertsons! ;)

It wasn't hard to make and was really quick. The worst part was
reaching into that tub of blood and chicken livers :eek:, but that's over for at least two weeks. :) (Each batch lasts that long)

I used the Instincts powder Link for more information (http://www.felinefuture.com/products/) with Foster Farms chicken livers,
boneless, skinless chicken breast and boneless, skinless chicken
thieghs. I gave Micah a taste on a tablespoon and he cried for
more. :) I gave him another few tablespoons and he was happy.

As far as the grinder, we decided to buy the meat grinding
attachment for our Kitchen Aid mixer. It worked really well and its
smaller than the other stand alone grinders we saw.

I'm currently in between cleaning all the litter boxes so I can see
the progress I'm anticipating. :) :) :) I'll be sure and keep you
all updated.

Micah's progress on the Innova is good energy/appearance, but he's still having the same litterbox problems. No crying, not as often, but still strictly diarreah. Hopefully this'll do the trick.

~Kelly

krazyaboutkatz
08-16-2003, 10:04 PM
Kelly, I'm glad that Micah seems to like his new raw diet. :D Hopefully this will help his diarrhea problems and keep him healthy as well. I look forward to hearing some good updates on him in the future. :)

rg_girlca
08-16-2003, 10:58 PM
Aww fingers and paws crossed that this new diet will help Micah.
I'm glad he loves it.

wolflady
08-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Yay! I'm so happy that Micah loves his new special food! How neat! I really hope that you do see some progress in the litterbox soon!
How do you make the food? Do you just grind all those ingredients together and add the supplements? You might have to post a before and after pic of Micah's poop! :eek: LOL LOL Just kidding, but I do hope this helps the cutie pie! :D

**hugs**
Karen

bisi.cat
08-17-2003, 01:56 AM
Micah is really amazing, that he switches his food preferences so quickly...I guess he just knows what's the best for him!;)
One beautiful and very smart cat!!!:D

Hope this diet will work for him...do you prepare the food fresh daily...or do you prepare a certain amount and then freeze it?!

Kater
08-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Kelly, what a wonderful kitty Mom! Reaching into a tub of blood and chicken livers--- that sounds like more than I could handle!!! I'm glad Micah likes the taste of the raw food now we just hope that it helps his Crohn's.

Fingers crossed here! :D

Felicia's Mom
08-18-2003, 08:25 PM
I hope the raw diet helps. Are you giving it to all your cats or just to Micah?

I fed my cats a raw diet for a while, but quit because Felicia would always throw it up. I may try it again.

Christiansmommy
08-18-2003, 08:37 PM
Just a quick thought..., i am introducing the raw diet to Dale as well (a couple times a week), so i have been doing some research on it and have read that your pet can experience some diarreah in the beginning of this new diet...b/c it is new to their system...so i would watch his poops, but they could still be a little runny until he is adjusted to the diet...

I havent given a lot of this to Dale so i am not an expert...but i have come across that online...

Hope he is doing better!

Robyn

NoahsMommy
08-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Well...it seems the raw food may be a little too rich for my Micah. He's only supposed to get 1/2 cup a day, spread out into two meals. Well, I spread it out to about 3 and mixed it with his canned Innova. (At about a 3:1 ratio Raw to Innova)

Um...still too rich.

He threw up all over the floor and chair in the den this morning about a half hour after he ate. Most of the food was digested (watery), so I guess its good that it went that far.

Poor guy. :( But...he was hungry an hour later and kept all that food down.

We're starting again. This time, keeping his Innova as his main diet, with about a teaspoon of raw mixed in. Spread over about 4 to 5 meals a day.

bisi.cat
08-19-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Spread over about 4 to 5 meals a day.

I think this is an excellent idea...we feed Nellie a lot of "mouse-sized" meals during the day rather than one or two big meals and she seems to like it very much...I prepare the amount each morning and give it to her over the whole day...well Nellie's on a diet, but this works very fine with her...:D

wolflady
08-20-2003, 07:32 PM
Poor Micah. Yup, the new diet must be pretty rich! I think your solution is really good for him, with smaller meals more frequently during the day. Once he gets used to it, I'm sure you'll be able to week him off the Innova and have him on the raw diet. Give it a few weeks, and see what happens. I'm glad he likes the Innova though! Let us know how he does with the little meals. His little tum tum just needs to get used to the raw foodies! What a cute little sweetie he is!!

**hugs**