PDA

View Full Version : Tiffy do agility?

Buddy2101
07-20-2001, 10:34 PM
Tiffy is a 7 month old Dachshund. I was wondering if this breed can do agility. I hope so cause she ahs alot of energy and nothing to do with it so I was thinkin agility woudl be perfect for her, but I don't knwo if it will hurt her back :( . I hope not cause she would love it so much. Any info would helop. Thanx

tatsxxx11
07-21-2001, 09:37 AM
In the agility classes my lab Star has enrolled in, there are dogs of EVERY breed! From bassets, to bloodhounds, as well as daschunds! ALL sizes and ages. Even an old English sheepdog! The point in our class is to help all dogs gain confidence, get some exercise, socialize and just have a good time. Many are wonderfully talented, agilie and are up and on their way to competing. The rest just enjoy doing what they can. I would highly recommend it; as along as it's not a "high pressure" performance oriented type class. Don't get me wrong, if competition is "your thing," classes such as the ones I've taken with Star cater equally to that as well. It's just wonderful that no dogs are excluded or ridiculed for what they can or can't do! Good luck! I know you'll love it! Oh, forgot to mention that around here, most dogs must be two years old before enrolling as it can be physically demanding, with potential falls, tumbles and such, and well, we have to watch out for those still developing and strenghening bones and muscles! Sandra

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

AdoreMyDogs
07-21-2001, 10:31 AM
As long as Tiffy is fit (not overweight), and you warm up pleanty before every class then I would recomend it. It's real good mental stimulation and it's great excersise. Tiffy may have to be a little older to enroll in class, check with your nearest agility school to see what age requirements they have.

As for her back, just be careful and use your own good judgement. Doxy's are very prone to back problems as you know, so start slow and only do what the instructor advises. I have heard horror stories of slightly overweight dogs going right from sleeping on the couch, to the car, and then to agility class, where they tore a cruciate ligiment on their first jump due to lack of warming up and streching muscles before a run. As long as you make sure she has streched her muscles, she can do agilty just fine.

ShepherdLover
07-21-2001, 05:19 PM
If she's only 7 monthes, you might want to wait. Doing jumps might hurt a pup. Breed wise, SURE YOU CAN DO A DACHSHUND!

If you do do it, GOOD LUCK! I'm sure you'll do fine!