PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Dog Wanted

Melly
08-16-2003, 12:46 PM
My partner and I moved into a great second floor apartment in a fourplex. We live across the street from a large park, have a yard and room to spare. We currently have 2 cats and desperately want a dog. Sometimes we hang out in the park just see the dogs and get a chance to pet one. We know we will be great parents to a dog.
The dilemma: our landlords. They are very kind and understanding people. They were very accepting of our cats. But we worry because we have only lived here 3 months and don't really want to push the issue so soon.
There is a single retired lady that lives below us, and she would likely be the only one person that may be disturbed by extra paws running around. We were thinking of trying to talk to her about it before the landlords.
So...does anyone out there have any tips on how we can approach our landlords with this request?

Karen
08-16-2003, 01:06 PM
First talk to the woman downstairs. Bring her cookies or lemonade or something as an excuse to be neighborly, and to talk. Maybe she wouldn't object.

Does your lease make any mention of animals? If it says "no dogs" specifically, you'll have a bigger hurdle to overcome ...

Melly
08-16-2003, 01:24 PM
The lease was really informal. It said no pets of any kind. Then we mentioned our cats. The landlady said she didn't mind as long as we were responsible pet owners. And we are so we told her that we took very good care of our cats and loved them a great deal. She smiled and understood. Her husband, when he visits, gets right down on the floor to play with them. So I think they would be okay with it, as long as it didn't disturb anyone else. Which is why we need get on the good side of the lady below. I think we already are, but you just never know how others will react. Thanks for your idea, I think we'll use it!

wolfsoul
08-16-2003, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't want to push it too much. But I'd look for possibly an older dog that is already housebroken and trained. And maybe if it's in a kill shelter, you might add to the landlords that this dog is on death row, and needs your help.

I hope everything goes well for you, good luck! :)

kingrattus
08-16-2003, 09:53 PM
Just to add to wolfsouls post, an older dog wont be as active so the lady downstairs wont hear loud pawing thuds.. & if u get a Benji (I have no clue on how to spell it) they can't bark at all, so they r perfect for large apt.

clara4457
08-16-2003, 10:28 PM
Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK and welcome to Pet Talk. You guys sound like the perfect canine companions. I think an older dog is an excellent suggestion. Call you local rescue organizations - they will find ther perfect dog for you!!

Cheshirekatt
08-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Hello and welcome to Pet Talk! :D

I agree that an older dog might be better. Look for an older couch potato type dog that isn't too rambunctious but would like to go to the park for walks.

You'll probably even be able to find one that's got experience with cats!

Melly
08-19-2003, 06:20 PM
We will definitely seek out an older dog - likely from a shelter. I'm drawn to the lazier breeds any way - so it should work out fine.

Thanks!