PDA

View Full Version : Rocket isn't well again

primabella
08-15-2003, 05:57 PM
I know I should be posting this in Pet Health. Sorry.

I'm crying right now. If you remember awhile back I said how Rocket was having problems with his foot. He was alright after. Well today he couldn't walk or stand up on the perch again. He went into little fits where he would cry and walk around in circles and twitch a lot. I tried picking him up and holding him but he wasn't getting better. My sister called the vet's office and they redirected us to a vet that specializes in birds and other exotic animals. We called but they told us of another vet's office. It is located somewhere where I don't know where it is. A good few hours away, maybe more. We described Rocket's symptoms and the secretary told us he needed to see a vet. They were closed on weekends though and have weird hours during the weekdays.

I called my mom (she was out) and told her about Rocket. I don't think she would have come home if I hadn't been crying on the phone. She did and checked him out. My mom loves animals but she kept saying how nothing could be done for a bird. This upset me. However, she did stay with him. He then went into another of his fits. My mom and I thought it was a seizure of some sort. He was twitching and moving around a lot. She took him and brought him out of his cage. She pet him and he lay his head back. For a minute I thought he had died. She kept whispering, "No more suffering for Rocket, no more suffering for Rocket..." and he stopped twitching. We put him back in and watched him. Then she had to leave to go back to my father and brother so that was it. She stayed for a good half hour, I think.

Now he is doing better. He isn't walking in circles anymore and he jumped onto his perch and then onto his swing. I tried giving him some millet, but he didn't take it. That really worries me. I feel so helpless. Even if my parents agreed to taking him to the vet, it is hours and hours away and we would have to wait until Monday.

Is it normal for birds to have seizures? This really looked like one. Can you also please send a prayer that he will do well and be strong. I've been praying and he has gotten better. If you don't like praying, please send some good wishes and positive thoughts our way.

I know a lot of you must think I am a bad owner, and I agree that it is my fault that Rocket is the way he is. I should have taken him to the vet after the first time he got injured. I'm so sorry Rocket. :( I'm a terrible mommy. :(

jenluckenbach
08-15-2003, 06:03 PM
Rocket will be in my prayers. I assume that any animal could have a seizure

tikeyas_mom
08-15-2003, 07:10 PM
I am sorry that rocket is sick :(:(. You arnt a bad owner. TRUST me alot of ppl acuse me of being a bad owner and I am not. Dont blame your self, it isnt your fault that he is sick, he could have a genetic disorter that was passed on to him by his parents, luckily for me I have a exotics vet 10 min away by car drive, thats where I took Pippin, I am sending thoughts your way, get well soon rocket :).

RubyMutt
08-15-2003, 08:53 PM
You are not a terrible mommy! Please don't think that, it'll only make this more difficult for yourself. We've seen how much you love & care for your pets, Rocket getting sick is not your fault. :(

I hope your parents decide to take him to that vet. Stay strong, beautiful Rocket! You will be in my thoughts.

popcornbird
08-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Oh no! :(:(:(

Do you live in a big city? I don't see how its possible that an avian vet would be so far away unless you lived in like some village. We have avian vets in every animal hospital here. They are different from exotic vets. :confused:

I'm very sorry this is happening to Rocket again. :( I wished you had taken him to the vet last time, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. :( Your mom is mistakened about vets not being able to do anything to help birds. Birds are the 3rd most popular pet after dogs and cats and vets help them every single day. Avian vets don't study birds for years for nothing. :(

Honestly, I do not believe Rocket's leg was injured. Its seems to be something else, and if it has showed up again, he needs medical attention. Dear Rocket, please make it through this for your mommy. Your mommy loves you. :( Primabella, please take him to the vet no matter where the vet may be. I suggest going on the web and searching for *avian vets* in your area. You might be able to locate some closer ones.

Ps. I know its not your fault that your birds aren't allowed out of the cage, and I'm not blaming you in ANY way. What was meant to happen was meant to happen and there's nothing anyone can do about it. :( I just want to say that PLEASE, I really really hope this will help your mom realize how IMPORTANT it is for birds to get out of the cage time. Its terrible for their health to be locked in a cage for life, and no animal was born to live its life in a little cage. Staying caged all the time can take a dramatic toll on their health. They need their exercise. Your birdies are still so very young. :( Please start allowing your birds out of the cage so they can get the exercise they need. You are a wonderful pet mommy and I know you will do the best you can for your birds. Get well soon Rocket. I'm praying for you little keet. :(

CathyBogart
08-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Please do take him in ASAP! It is possible for a bird to have a seizure, and I can't believe your mom actually said that nothingcould be done for a bird! Nothing could be further from the truth!

Please take him in and get him taken care of, he deserves to be with his wonderful mommy for many years to come!

wolf_Q
08-15-2003, 11:13 PM
So sorry to hear about Rocket. :( I hope that you will be able to get him to the vet, and it's nothing serious. I'll keep him in my thoughts.

primabella
08-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Thank you everybody. PCB, I live in the city. I know I found it so weird that an avian vet was so far away.The stupid thing is that we need to drive to the far away one and if he needs emergency care, we need to drive him to a place that's a little closer to us so he can get treatment. Isn't that ridiculous?! :mad: But it's true. We called the vet Mickey goes to and she told us that they don't do birds. I couldn't believe it. I keep telling my mom we need to take him in...:mad: she doesn't want. Maybe if I offer to pay for the vet bills? I don't know what to do about that anymore. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers though.

Last night, Rocket had another "attack". We took him out of the cage and my mom pet his head and stomach. He was chirping very softly. We put him back in and for a minute he just lay face down on the floor, not moving. I thought, this is it. He's gone. But he got back up again. He started walking around and his leg was sliding all over the place. He was sort of limping. We decided to play vet, and took a piece of gauze, cut it up and put it around his leg. My mom took him out and wrapped him in a blanket. He fell asleep that night on her lap. I held him for awhile too. He looked so peaceful and happy. That night I prayed for my baby boy.

This morning I came downstairs to check on him. He was up on the perch eating. I couldn't believe it. I made him get on my hand and he was hopping around like normal. We took out the gauze and he was fine. A miracle, maybe? :D

I still want to take him in, but that's gonna take a lot of convincing. I also want to get his wings cut so he could come out the cage. Last night, he didn't even flutter his wings when we took him out. He was so good and calm.I'm not sure about Sky. She's afraid of everything (no matter how hard I try to get her to go on my hand) and wouldn't let me near her. Just run off all over the house. And then there's Mickey. Would he try to eat them? Mickey loves chasing the birds in the back and at the park.

Thank you everybody for your prayers and advice. And for saying I'm a good mommy. That made me feel good. Still, I need to do what I can to avoid this to happen again and it won't be easy. :(

Thank you once again. :) *hugs* to all.

popcornbird
08-17-2003, 02:45 PM
I'm so glad to hear Rocket is feeling better. Please hang in there and recover fully little Rocket. Your mommy needs you. :) May you have a happy long life with your family, human, feathered, and furry.

How's Rocket today?

wolfsoul
08-17-2003, 02:53 PM
Aww poor Rocket. :(

Maybe you could just call the vet, and describe the symptoms? I do that all the time when I'm not allowed to go to the vet.