PDA

View Full Version : Kong Toy

Brook
11-29-2001, 12:39 PM
I've got a question about the Kong Toy. I've heard that putting treat's in the Kong and letting your dog get them out is a great toy for them. My Brittany will try to lick her treat out of it rather then chew the kong and break up the treat. I am wondering if anyone has ideas for this toy. She use to be a big chewer and she seems to not like chewing on her toys anymore and I'm trying to get those teeth clean. Any help is appreciated :)

Logan
11-29-2001, 01:32 PM
Licking the Kong and staying occupied is the goal, I think. I've heard of people freezing yogurt in them, as well as filling them with peanut butter, milkbones, etc. I have always used them to distract my girls for a while. That stuffing doesn't last long though!!

They have no interest in the Kong if it isn't stuffed with something though, so needless to say, they haven't had a Kong in quite a while since they are D-I-E-T-I-N-G. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Logan

shais_mom
11-29-2001, 01:39 PM
Go to www.kongcompany.com (http://www.kongcompany.com) (I think) and check out the recipes.
They have some great ideas!

Welcome to PetTalk!

RachelJ
11-29-2001, 01:47 PM
The only time Hannah chews on her kong is when we are playing fetch with it. Before she relinquishes it back to me, she has to stand there doing the chewing motion. Other than that she really doesn't chew on it at all. What she does enjoy (although as we are dieting we don't do this much) is my putting a small milk bone inside the kong. She then takes her nose and pushes it in different positions on the floor until the milk bone falls out.

I think a lot of dogs lose interest in chewing as they mature. Mine have
(unless you count my chewing my undies). :o

aly
11-29-2001, 02:42 PM
Whenever I make a kong for the dogs at the shelter, I put small broken up treats in them and cover the holes with either easy cheese or peanut butter. It is a lifesaver for the poor shelter dogs who need things to stimulate their minds.

I make the kong the same way for my own dogs, but usually just give it to them if they're going in a crate. Since I don't crate them anymore, I seem to have lost my kongs :eek:

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-29-2001, 02:48 PM
Brook. Drake will only play with the Kong long enough to get the peanut butter out.

If you are trying to clean your dog's teeth, a fast and very effective treat is the knuckle. Your dog will not leave it alone till it is almost gone. The chewing will clean his teeth and is safe for his gums as well. After they are really clean, I would suggest you brush his teeth regularly to keep them clean.

Knucles come in all sizes and cost anywhere from $3.99-$11.99.

Pam
11-29-2001, 09:42 PM
Bella's favorite toy is her ball, any ball, as long as someone will throw it to her. The kong is tied for second with her tug-of-war rope. (Stuffies would be right up there with her ball, but none have been purchased recently since they live such a short life around here. :rolleyes: )

Rachel, I love your new signature with The Polar Dog and Tucker Love. Wonder if Bella will be a polar dog this winter. We didn't have much snow last winter and she was just a widdle puppy back then. :)

shais_mom
12-03-2001, 01:05 AM
I just filled my kong with frozen bil-jac and beef broth and froze it. Stuffed some cheese in the small end and stuck it upside down in a cup in the freezer. Keegan will get it when she is in her crate.