PDA

View Full Version : dandriff, and hates being brushed !!!!

tikeyas_mom
08-15-2003, 01:13 AM
My cat Fuzzy has the worst dandrff and clumps right above his tail. He is an outside cat and has ouchy claws :eek:. when I try to brush him he gets all playfull and attacks me :eek: then he takes off running to the basement or outside :rolleyes:... I tryed inclosing him in a room while brushing him but he freaks out meowing and running away and scratching me :(. What can I do to brush him without him having a spaz attack lol :p.

ps hes a long haired cat.

jazzcat
08-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Have you tried brushing him while he eats? That is how I got Ripley to let me brush him without being attacked. Just a suggestion.

tikeyas_mom
08-15-2003, 02:06 AM
yes :o. that is the only time We have a change to cut out his clumps :eek: but he isnt ever sitting long enough for us to brush him :(.

jenluckenbach
08-15-2003, 06:09 AM
Don't use a scissor on those clumps unless you want a trip to the emergency vet for stitches! Cat skin is EXTREMELY easy to cut. And when the fur mats it pulls the skin up in to the mat. That is another reason it is so easy to cut the skin. First suggestion....clip the nails BEFORE you try to brush. Next suggestion.......do only a little at a time, this way he knows it won't be a long session. If you stop BEFORE he gets upset he may learn that it is not such a bad experience. If it is more than you can handle have the cat professionally groomed this once and then keep up with him so he does not mat again. PREVENTION is the key.

sqwelch
08-15-2003, 08:05 AM
What about trying these gloves you can buy with the built in brush, your cat might sit still longer !!!

Sorry, don't have that problem as both my 2 love being brushed, especially Jock who will sit all night !!:)

RedHedd
08-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Mitzi matts "there" too - she has VERY thick, long fluffy fur (heavy fur? :D). Like Jen said, short brushing sessions - a little at a time, do work -- at least Mitzi will tolerate that and give her a treat afterwards for being a good kitty. I use a wire brush on her as her fur is so very thick and dense; not sure if those grooming gloves have long enough bristles for this kind of fur. I also found that gentle combing with a flea comb in that area seems to be tolerated a little bit better. As for the dandruff, my vet suggested a little bit of flax oil in her food. It seems to have worked -- her fur is slowly getting shinier, the dandruff is gone and she has fewer matts. HTH

tikeyas_mom
08-15-2003, 02:01 PM
thanks for all the replys :):) ... I will try the brush in mittin thig, We have been cutting out his matts his whole life :o. we havent ever hurt him. My mom does it not Me. Anyways I tryed to cut his nails but he sqwermed WAYYYY to much I was scared that I would hurt him :o:o..

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Try wearing gloves when you brush him so if when he scratches he won't actually get your skin. Also, I wouldn't try and force the brushing on him. That will only make him hate it worse. Try short sessions while talking soothingly to him. You have to show him that it's not something to be dreaded, but something to be relished. Good luck! :D

2kitties
08-15-2003, 02:56 PM
I have a big box full of paper. they love the paper and the box so much, they forget about me and the job at hand.