PDA

View Full Version : Sounds silly, but.....

Chinadoll
08-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to get my driver's license. Any kind thoughts, prayers to the driving gods, etc.. would be greatly appreciated. I'm one of those freak people who never wanted to drive. That's why I'm 23 with no license. It's really at my future father-in-law's insistance that I'm going tomorrow. I am so hoping I don't get too nervous and do something stupid or god forbid injure the F-I-L's BMW that he's letting me drive (talk about trust!)

Logan
08-14-2003, 03:10 PM
You'll be fine!!!! Driving is such a pleasure for me. Thank goodness because I have to do it a lot!!!! :) Good luck!!!!! Keep your eyes on the road and don't be too nervous!!!

Logan

Kfamr
08-14-2003, 03:18 PM
I must be a "freak person" too. :rolleyes:

Good Luck.

I NEVER want to drive, but probably will have to. :(

Chinadoll
08-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I must be a "freak person" too. :rolleyes:

Good Luck.

I NEVER want to drive, but probably will have to. :(

Thanks. I only say freak because you should see the incredulous looks I get when I tell people I don't have a license. It's simply incomprehensible to them that I didn't follow the band wagon and get my license at 16 like everyone else. I chose not to, but now I guess I have to. *sigh*

carole
08-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Oh GOOD LUCK, I really hope everything goes well, Don't be like me I am in my middles forties and I still cannot drive, and I have no confidence now, although my mother was 50 when she got her licence so there is a dismal bit of hope yet, I learned when I was young and could drive just never sat the test, now I feel it is too late, I Don't even want the responsiblity.

You are still young enough, and will never regret it, it is certainly one of my biggest regrets in life, and it can be a real pain having to rely on others to help out all the time, and my hubby is the taxi driver around here.

I WISH YOU THE BEST AND I KNOW YOU WILL PASS WITH FLYING COLOURS.:)

popcornbird
08-14-2003, 03:39 PM
LOL! I *so* never wanted to drive, but my parents insisted that it was important to learn, even if I didn't want to drive, I should still know how and have a license. My dad said, "Your cousins are learning, your friends are learning, WHY do you want to lag behind?"

I honestly don't know why, but now I have my permit and drive almost everyday, getting better everyday. I'm starting to enjoy it now. I HATE driving the mini-van because I feel so *insecure* driving it, but I love driving the car. I've only had my permit for a month now, so I still have time before I go for my license.

dukedogsmom
08-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Don't feel bad. I failed my test the first time I took it! I hope you have a lot better luck.

Miss Meow
08-14-2003, 04:01 PM
I didn't get my licence until I was 23, so you're not the only one! I used to live near a train station or ride my bike to work, so I never had a need for a car.

I failed the test the first time because I was nervous and forgot to undo the handbrake to leave the car park. The tester like me sit there in a panic and failed me. Didn't even get to drive during my driving test :rolleyes:

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cataholic
08-14-2003, 04:15 PM
If only my SILLY LURKING SISTER WOULD POST....she could tell you her tails of no drivers license...and Chinadoll....she has you beat by a LONG shot...and drives around town today in a big ole truck, no problem. In fact, the other day, I thought she was being too Zippy (no offense to our pal ZC).

Good luck.

carole
08-14-2003, 04:20 PM
you only have to be 15 to get your learners licence in nz, what is the legal age in America and other countries i wonder?

Chinadoll
08-14-2003, 04:23 PM
here the law differs from state to state. Up until about 6 years ago, you could get your license at 15 in Louisiana. It has since been raised to 16. I thought I read about a few European countries where 18 is the minimum age for a license.

carole
08-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Yes well in NZ you have to obtain a learners licence to even learn to drive a car, it was not always this way, by sitting a written test, which is multi-choice type, you must get 23 out of 25 to pass, then you are able to learn to drive with a full licenced driver, then you must sit your restricted which is the practical side of it, on passing you can drive around by yourself but not take passengers or after ten pm, but most of the young ones ignore that and just accept the 400 dollar fine.

Then you have to sit another test to get your full licence.

This the other reason, I just can't be bothered with all the different things you have to do, in my young day it was just one licence sat all together and that was that, much easier and much cheaper too.

It costs around 500 dollars to finally get your licence, you must stay on restricted for 18 mths, unless you do a defensive driving course , then it is 12, but it all just cost more money, and of course if you fail , you have pay it again and again, also if you have some professional driving lessons, that really does go in your favour.

Cookiebaker
08-14-2003, 05:51 PM
Good luck on your test!!! Sending good wishes your way!!

Steffi N
08-14-2003, 06:42 PM
I was over thirty when I learned to drive after moving back to New Jersey. I had been living in Boston, where I did not need a car. I was very nervous, but did manage it. Good luck on your test, Tiff, I am sure you will do well. :)

micki76
08-14-2003, 07:48 PM
I failed the stupid test twice! I was also 21 when I got my license. Part of that was my mothers fear projected onto me. She never learned how to drive and I always feared it because she did. :rolleyes: After I learned there was no stopping me! You too may learn to love the freedom. :) Good luck!!!

RubyMutt
08-14-2003, 08:05 PM
That's so funny... one of my co-workers, he's 26, is going to get his diver's license tomorrow as well :D

I never really wanted to drive either, but I really needed to so I got my license at 16.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine :)

Chinadoll
08-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by micki76
I failed the stupid test twice! I was also 21 when I got my license. Part of that was my mothers fear projected onto me. She never learned how to drive and I always feared it because she did. :rolleyes: After I learned there was no stopping me! You too may learn to love the freedom. :) Good luck!!!

Funny you should say that...I know exactly where you're coming from. My grandmother practically raised me and she has always been the most paranoid driver. One of my earliest memories is of her making my preschool teacher take out a map so they could find a different route so she wouldn't have to cross a busy intersection that always made her so very nervous. I think I picked up on her fear and paranoia as a young child. I can remember being in 1st or 2nd grade and thinking how nice it was that I didn't have to drive.

Even though I've hated it, I'm glad my F-I-L has made me start driving these past few months. I'm much more comfortable with it than before although traffic does freak me out and I do drive like a Maw Maw, but hey, it's progress.

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes. Hopefully I'll have my license by this time tomorrow and I can stop the weekly driving lessons with Pop(my F-I-L). While the driving has been fine, every time I get into his new BMW, I'm so afraid that something will happen while I'm driving it. I so don't need that stress anymore! :p

Vio&Juni
08-15-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Chinadoll
here the law differs from state to state. Up until about 6 years ago, you could get your license at 15 in Louisiana. It has since been raised to 16. I thought I read about a few European countries where 18 is the minimum age for a license.

It's 18 for Moldovans too. I am 28 and don't have a license either, although I am not afraid to drive, nor ever failed the test. I just don't have a car, because I would hardly use it. But I am planning to get the license this fall maybe.

Chinadoll
08-15-2003, 04:39 PM
No License :( :( :(
and not because I failed either.

Pop picked me up and we went down to the DMV only to find out that they weren't doing anymore road tests today. I did the eye exam and two written tests and passed, but I have to come back to do the road test.

I'm so upset. I was dreading doing this and just wanted to get it over with. Now I have to put it off for another week because that's the only time Pop and I can coordinate our work schedules to be off. It's so frustrating.

And it's no myth that the DMV is a horrid place with horrid people working there. Every employee I encountered was abrupt to the point of rude. Now I realize they must deal with many people throughout the day and some of those people act like jerks. I'm not always the nicest person in the world, but I certainly don't treat people any less than I expect to be treated. I went to catholic school all my life, even went to a catholic college. Politeness has been so ingrained in me. But the rude, condescending attitude I encountered even when I went out of my way to be exceedingly polite made me want to snap back.

UGH!

RICHARD
08-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Chinadoll

And it's no myth that the DMV is a horrid place with horrid people working there. Every employee I encountered was abrupt to the point of rude. Now I realize they must deal with many people throughout the day and some of those people act like jerks. I'm not always the nicest person in the world, but
UGH!

a thought??
when i go to places like the DMV i'll make it a point to say something like, "Hi, I am going to be the NICEST person you take care of today!"

that usually brings on the smiles.....

if you are dealing with a Driving Test person, put the car in neutral, rev the engine and drop that sucker into gear.....the longer the rubber marks you leave in the parking lot, the more points you score........

against your license.....;)

good luck!

Chinadoll
08-15-2003, 05:00 PM
LOL! Good idea :)

Steffi N
08-15-2003, 06:12 PM
I'm glad to hear you passed the written tests. Sorry you couldn't take care of the road test as well. I know it's frustrating and rude people just add to it. Try to stay relaxed and I'm sure everything will go well next time. You'll be chauffering kitties and ferrets very soon. :)

HoRsELUvR
08-15-2003, 09:52 PM
good luck on the driving test!hope it all goes well!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-16-2003, 03:35 AM
Poor you - you must be so dissapointed! But on the positive side - it gives all the PT positive thoughts and wishes another week to work their magic!

In South Africa we can get our learners at 17 (written exam, then you are allowed to drive with a licenced driver next to you and no other passengers). Then when you are 18 you can go for the drivers. I actually only got mine when I was 22, as I couldn't afford a car until then, and I didn't want to take the responsibility of only driving occasionally, beng nervous, and damaging someone elses car!

One good thing - once you get your licence, and have a car to use, you will wonder HOW and WHY you didn't do it sooner!:D

(Of course now I need to get my BIKE licence - I've been riding bikes since I was 15, but still haven't got the licence for that!

Chinadoll
08-18-2003, 11:40 AM
I got my license!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

We worked it out so I could go this morning. Spent all morning there. Thank goodness work was so nice about letting me off of work 1/2 a day again. I am soooooo glad that is over with. Thanks for all the pettalk good wishes.

<does happy dance>

CountryWolf07
08-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Congrats!!! :) I never wanted to drive til' I was 17.. I could get my permit when I was 15, but I didn't want to.. so I've been driving about an year now.. and now I just got used on driving on the interstate..

emily_the_spoiled
08-18-2003, 12:18 PM
CONGRATULATIONS :D :D :D

I am glad that you managed to get the time off and go for your test this morning. You are going to find that driving really isn't that bad and it will give you alot more freedom. Enjoy your happy dance ;)

Steffi N
08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Good for you!
Now enjoy the freedom driving brings.
<Doing congratulatory happy dance>

cubby31682
08-18-2003, 02:42 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Way to go. I will be going in to get mine in 2 weeks. Hubby is really pushing me to get it. I just am not sure if I will be a nervious wreck when it comes down to it with the instructor in the my car with me. :confused:

Congrats again

Katie

Uabassoon
08-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Congrats!

Chinadoll
08-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by cubby31682
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Way to go. I will be going in to get mine in 2 weeks. Hubby is really pushing me to get it. I just am not sure if I will be a nervious wreck when it comes down to it with the instructor in the my car with me. :confused:

Congrats again

Katie

I can relate. Joey has been after me to get my license for the last 5 years. He'll be estatic when he finds out. My family thought I should e-mail him, but I want to wait until he is home and I can see the expression on his face. It'll be priceless.

I too was nervous when the instructor got in with me, but I relaxed once I was on the road. Good Luck!!!

cubby31682
08-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Thank you.

AmberLee
08-18-2003, 03:36 PM
Congratulations! So happy and excited for you!