PDA

View Full Version : Emergancy...please Help

Cataholic
08-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Hi. This is cataholic's neice. I just got a new kitten. He is only 3 weeks old and his mother died. I really need help on nursing my new kitten. I don't know how to look or other threads b/c i've never been on this website. Please help me!

apcrs5122
08-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Ok. You can call a local vet and ask them for help, but here is my info (we just finished raising a litter).

You need to go get kitten formula, and a special bottle made for babie animals. Try to get formula with colostrum, just because s/he is so young. Run hot water into a big glass and set the bottle of formula in it. When it is kind of warm (test in on the inside of your wrist, NEVER FEED THEM SOMETHING THAT YOU HAVE NOT TESTED!), take it into her and put the nipple in it's mouth. If it seems that it is having trouble, gently squeeze the bottle (not too hard, you can possibly choak it).

You need to keep it warm, and in a cozy place (a good-sized box). I would reccommend putting in an old stuffed animal to act as a "mother figure". You should feed her every 4 hours. When you can, take her into a local shelter and have them look her over and give you some information. You could also go to the vet's, but then you'd probably have to pay a fee.

I hope I helped, just let me know if you need any more!

Kater
08-13-2003, 08:48 PM
Aly has some good advice on the following threads: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28583

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26425

Lerah021399 on this thread:
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29602

krazyaboutkatz
08-13-2003, 09:01 PM
I don't have any advice to give you but you might want to also post this in cat health. Just click on forum jump and then click on cat health. There are many people here who will give you excellent advice. Good luck and please keep us posted.

aly
08-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Hi!

Did you read the links Kater gave? Where is Cataholic?

I almost constantly have newborn foster babies so I could help you out. Do you have AIM or ICQ or anything?

Don't worry, 3 weeks is past the critical period where they are really delicate.

Cataholic
08-14-2003, 08:32 AM
Hi guys, it is me, Cataholic. I was at my house when my neice called re the kitten. I didn't have my laptop home, so, I gave her my info. Things were a bit panicky last night! Thanks for helping her out, and I think Donna walked her through.

Aly, you were the one I was trying to locate.....and I know Ashley does have Aim...so, I will be telling her to sign on.

Thanks alot!!!!!

Cataholic
08-14-2003, 08:35 AM
ASHLEY- CALL ME AT WORK.

ramanth
08-14-2003, 08:50 AM
I have no info, but best of luck with the kitty! :)

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2003, 09:02 AM
:eek:

Well Now - THAT got ebberbuddies 'tenshun, dint it!?

Hey Ashley - the lil KittyPup *eating* yet???

We all hope things are a little more calm today - and that Kitty is doing alright.

Give us some details when you can.

catland
08-14-2003, 10:19 AM
I don't know if this would work, but would it be possible to find someone who has a cat with a litter of kittens and just smuggle this one in? A mom cat has such strong instincts that she might accept an addition. The great thing is that while they are maternal, they can't count.:)

If this is possible, maybe you could get a towel and rub it on the litter and then on the orphan - that way the mom will think that it smells like her until it is too late.;)

gini
08-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Johanna, keep us posted on how the kitten is doing. Never a dull moment!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Yes, Ashley, you need to sign on yourself and let us know how the little tyke is doing! I'm so glad you got another kitty to look after, although it sounds like this one is having a little bit of a rough start in life - poor mommy kitty. :(

I'm glad you got somebody to help right away - but please keep us updated! :D

moosmom
08-14-2003, 02:43 PM
I posted somewhere else and will post here in case you didn't see it:

You need to get a kitten bottle from the pet store and poke holes in the nipple with a needle to make sure the milk comes out. Heat the needle so it goes through the nipple easily. Get KMR, which is a milk replacement for kittens. Kittens that little need to be fed every 2-3 hours. Once the baby is full, he will need to be stimulated to go potty.

To do this, take a soft cloth and gently massage it's butt near the rectum. The kitten will pee (you'll feel something wet and warm on the cloth). It might poo too. Not to worry though cuz that's what is supposed to happen.

Put the kitten in a box or basket that the kitten can't climb out of, lined with lots of old towels. Underneath the towels, put either a hot water bottle with boiling water in it or a heating pad set on low. Make sure there is plenty of towels covering the pad or hot water bottle so the kitten doesn't get burned.

At about 5 weeks, you can start him on canned kitten food mixed with the liquid KMR. Just mix it up and put it in a saucer and put the kitten's nose near it so he can smell it. He'll get the idea. He also may walk in it and make a mess, but that's to be expected. Kittens are very easy to bathe. Just use a little warm water and either Johnson's baby shampoo, kitten no-tear shampoo or, as a last resort, blue Dawn dish soap (it's the closest to a kitten's PH).

He can also start learning how to use the litter box. Get a small box (either a lid from a box or a case that soda came in that has a short edge) that will be easy for him to climb in and out of. Everytime he's done eating, place him in the box. He will eventually start using it. Because he's so young, you'll want to use strictly clay litter till he gets older.

I hope this has helped. If you have any other questions, you can call me. I'll PM you with my phone number. Justs please keep one thing in mind. Sometimes kittens this young without their mamas don't survive. It's nothing you've done or not done, it's just nature. Give it all you've got, that's all you can do. If it's meant to be, he'll pull through.

Good luck.

Cataholic
08-14-2003, 06:57 PM
I have encouraged Ashley to keep us updated, and, secure her own log in name...he he he.

When I got home from work, there was a message from her saying she saw everyone's posts, and had written stuff down, and the kitty was playing like crazy, and that she would call me later. So, I think things are going ok.....

Thanks again everyone for helping out.