PDA

View Full Version : What do parakeets like to eat?

*LabLoverKEB*
08-13-2003, 02:48 PM
What kind of human food to parakeets usually like to eat? I've tried grapes, and she doesn't like them!

Any suggestions would ge greatly appreciated! Thank you!:)

wolfsoul
08-13-2003, 03:04 PM
She probably doesn't like grapes because she's never had them before. :) Birds are very cautious about what they eat because it could be poisonous.

I know that most birds will eat bread and that it's good for them. :)

Is this your bird? Is it new?

popcornbird
08-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Grapes are not something a bird would be willing to try at first. It took my birds 2 years to even think of biting the grape! :eek: They'd rather play soccer with it than eat it. :rolleyes:

You bird NEEDS to eat veggies and other *people food* along with seeds and pellets to get the proper nutrition she needs. Start with broccoli, peas, and romaino lettuce. (dark leaves, not the *ball* kind). Iceberg lettuce is mostly water and doesn't have much nutrition. You need to be patient and offer the bird veggies until she gets it. Broccoli is very nutritious and a veggie most birds LOVE. Its the veggie my birds started with and until today, its still there favorite. One she gets used to the greens, you can try offering her carrots, corn and other veggies. NEVER give her avacado as that is one vegetable that can kill birds.

Other people food that's good for them is whole grain bread. White bread is not so good for them, as its not so good for us, so give her whole wheat or whole grain bread. Birds also love popcorn. If you want to give her popcorn, it should be just popped corn, with no added butter or salt. If you need any more help, feel free to ask. :) You should have posted this in Pet General though because I would have seen it earlier. :p

Ps. You never did show us pics of your birdie did you? :( :p

Cookiebaker
08-14-2003, 05:59 PM
My Azure *loved* grapes!! All I had to do was eat them in front of them, until his curiosity got the best of him.

He also loved purple cabbage (weird, I know!); definitely BANANAS; romaine lettuce; carrot peels; apple peels; Cheerios; and just about anything I ate, he wanted to try.

:o Did I miss something?? I didn't even know you had a parakeet! Do you have pictures of him?? :o

*LabLoverKEB*
08-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Thank you sooooo much everyone! I will try to get her to try everything throught today, and next week. I really appreciate it! Sorry! I meant to put it in Pet General! It was really late last night when I made this thread!:D Thanks again, everyone!