PDA

View Full Version : I have an interesting dilemma & could use advice, prayers and/or encouragement

robinh
08-13-2003, 01:27 PM
A while back I was talking with a co-worker (single executive with one child). She had us all over to her house last Christmas and I got to meet her puppy. He's a bichon - a beautiful bichon with a wonderful temperament. At that time half in jest and half in seriousness, I said to her if she ever wanted to get rid of him to let me know.

In July she and I were at a conference and got to talking. She was telling me that with her new expanded job responsibilities, buying a house (no fenced yard) and taking care of her son; the pup was getting to be too much. I again told her that if she wanted to get rid of the pup to let me know.

Since all this transpired we've acquired our newest family member, Muffin. Well, she came in today and said it was all getting to be too stressful and she wants to talk to me about the pup. She looks broken hearted about it.

I'm going home to talk to Dick this evening and see what he says. Not too long ago, he said we have ENOUGH dogs. I know we have four, but three are small. I don't think there is such a thing as enough dogs, but I also don't want to see this pup go to a pound or to someone who won't care.

Would like your opinions on the whole idea.

:confused:

Aspen and Misty
08-13-2003, 01:39 PM
I think you would give it a wonderful home! And that I think you should take him!

Ash

4 Dog Mother
08-13-2003, 02:14 PM
You are asking the wrong person since I can't say no to a dog. But I have 1 large, 3 medium and 1 small dog so I say 3 are small and this one is small - go for it!!!;)

pitc9
08-13-2003, 02:20 PM
I also think you would give the pup a great home!!

Cincy'sMom
08-13-2003, 06:24 PM
I would have a hard time turning away a sweet little Bichon. However, bottom line is you have to do whatis best for your family. If your husband will be miserable, becuase of one more, tenny, tiny little puppy ( :p ), It isn't worth it. Also, you have to think of your dogs. If you already have 4, chances are one more will just make it a bigger, happy pack.

Maybe if the dog isn't right for you, you could still help your friend out...foster him til you find the perfect home ( or til your husband is hooked and says you can keep him)

Good Luck, to you and the pup, whatever you decide :)

sabies
08-13-2003, 06:34 PM
I agree with Cincy'sMom, fostering is a good option if keeping the dog is not an option for your husband.

Logan
08-13-2003, 07:08 PM
My first reaction is to hope that your husband will say "yes". But I know that five dogs is more than I could handle, and I would be the one handling the situation most of the time. But I have to tell you that I would take a Bichon in a heartbeat!! LOL!!!!!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Logan

micki76
08-13-2003, 09:35 PM
Yep, I too like the idea of fostering until hubby says ok!!! Ahem... that's how we aquired dog #3! :) (who is now HIS dog)

Fox-Gal
08-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Yep, I too like the idea of fostering until hubby says ok!!! Ahem... that's how we aquired dog #3! :) (who is now HIS dog)

Thats how it works around here! :D I take them in as fosters and then he falls in love and tells me "No that one has to stay and that one and that one".

There has been that rare time he says "that one has to go soon" so it's not full proff. But out of 8 dogs only 2 are leaving (one day ;) ) it works pretty good. :D And I maybe having another one coming that he has already said it will stay, if we get him.

robinh
08-14-2003, 07:45 AM
Poor guy! I think he really knows me way too well. I brought it up this morning and he said OK! But this is the last one! (That's what he said after Muffin.) :D

So I'm gonna call the gal today and get the particulars on the pup. Will let you know more when I can.

ChloeLove
08-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Yay! Keep us updated. :)

anna_66
08-14-2003, 08:38 AM
A new addition hu?:)
Congrats & can't wait to see some pics!

micki76
08-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by robinh
Poor guy! I think he really knows me way too well. I brought it up this morning and he said OK! But this is the last one! (That's what he said after Muffin.) :D

So I'm gonna call the gal today and get the particulars on the pup. Will let you know more when I can.

Yay!! He he he. The last one. Yeah I've heard that, too. Until he saw Aly's little newborn fosters. Now HE wants one!

Good luck and pictures, pictures, pictures. You don't post enough pics, so WE NEED LOTS OF PICS OF EVERYONE!! :D :D :D

ramanth
08-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Best of luck with the new pup! :)

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2003, 09:53 AM

Ask a sillie question :p

Get the Standard Pet Talk Answer...

Sure ~ KEEP IT!!

:D :D :D

robinh
08-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Still waiting to hear from the gal.

micki76 - I'm terrible about pictures. Everytime I think I have a good photo opportunity, the camera is in the house or in the other room and by the time I get back with it - they have quit doing whatever is so "doggone" cute. Then when Max and Muffin hear the camera, they charge it. "ME, ME, ME - TAKE A PICTURE OF ME, MOM!!" and I can't get everyone in the shot.

robinh
08-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Yikes! Talked to her. I'm going over tonight to see him again and may be taking him home tonight. Will let you know.

Do know that he's a neutered male just a little under a year old. Very mild temperament.

Karen
08-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Every Bichon I've met has been very sweet. My cousin's came to my uncle(her dad)'s funeral, with a somber grey bow, and was very well-behaved through the whole thing. It was only back at the house that he went puppy-wild! :)

robinh
08-14-2003, 12:37 PM
He couldn't be any wilder than the two littlest ones are. They race around madly and roll one another. Then they are up and off again. They wrestle and make a lot of noise. Occasionally, we have little nips (working on that); but all in all they have a great time.

lizbud
08-14-2003, 12:50 PM
robinh,

Well, if you have the space & time for another dog & there
are no city ordinances( as to a certain number of dogs), it sounds
like he would be a great "little" addition to the family. LOL.
Fostering this dog till he finds his forever home would also be
a wonderful thing to do. You & your husband have very kind
hearts to help the little guy out.

robinh
08-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Dick knows fostering isn't really an option. Once I get 'em - they are there for the duration. He knows that about me. He's the same way.

Once we give 'em our hearts - we'll do our darndest to make it work. If the pup has problems, we work with them. An adoption is a lifetime commitment to us. Out of all of ours Carly was our worst. We almost gave up so many times; but we both kept saying "There has to be a way to get through to her". Not sure if she was testing us or what, but one day she got it and she's been one of the best since then.

robinh
08-15-2003, 07:44 AM
Well, Kirby came to our house last night. Too busy an evening to get pictures, but I'll get some this weekend. He is a character. I don't know why she said he was a calm dog, cause he sure wasn't at our house. There is way too much to do and to see and to play with and wow, he was so excited. All in all it went very well. We do have some issues to work on but nothing critical. He's not used to other dogs, so he's not sure how to play nice and that'll work out.

The one thing that drives me CRAZY - HE STICKS HIS FEET IN THE WATER DISH AND PAWS. It's such a simple, dumb thing, but it's making me nuts. I have water everywhere. Any suggestions?

4 Dog Mother
08-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Taggert did that for awhile. I don't know if they think they are branding the bowl as theirs and then no other will drink out of it or what. We would yell at him when he did it but I can't say that is what made him stop (although he still does it sometimes if his feet are muddy or he is at the dog park). He did just stop.

micki76
08-15-2003, 09:22 AM
The one thing that drives me CRAZY - HE STICKS HIS FEET IN THE WATER DISH AND PAWS. It's such a simple, dumb thing, but it's making me nuts. I have water everywhere. Any suggestions?

That’s weird! No advice here, though we have water issues, too. Aneko has maybe 3 teeth and so she eats wet food. Then when she drinks, she get food ALL in the water. My other two are very weird about drinking after her, so I have several water bowls set up around the house so that (hopefully) they can find one that she hadn’t had her dirty face in.

Also, most of the water she *tries* to drink just dribbles back out on the floor. YUCK!

Wondering, does he do this while he's drinking, or just for the heck of it?

robinh
08-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Think it may be a marking thing. Once he does it, all the rest of them look at me with a look that whines " :p :p :p :p Mom, the water's yucky! Kirby put his feet in it! Get clean fresh water, we're thirsty!" All the while he's standing there with wet feet and smiling. :D

ParNone
08-15-2003, 10:25 AM
That sounds like the perfect picture opportunity, if ever I
heard of one.:)

Par...

anna_66
08-15-2003, 01:47 PM
HE STICKS HIS FEET IN THE WATER DISH AND PAWS.
Roxey did this when she was a puppy & every now & then...but I'm not quite sure why:confused: Sorry I can't be of any help.

robinh
08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Well, here are a couple pictures of the little darling.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/p8370c95b77b209e108932f39c20a043d/fb614372.jpg
Here is Kirby and Muffin wrestling over a toy.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/p7f8495f106d15c3a22c1aed9dba0b79b/fb61416b.jpg
Here he is coming up over a pillow.

micki76
08-15-2003, 02:55 PM
He he he. :) What a cutie! Looks like he's fitting in nicely, playing with toys and Muffin. :D :D

anna_66
08-16-2003, 07:38 AM
He's so cute!

sabies
08-16-2003, 08:11 AM
Very cute. Looks so happy too.

ChrisH
08-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Awww, he is a real cutie!:) Congratulations!!

Uabassoon
08-16-2003, 11:02 AM
What a cutie! He looks like such a happy dog.

jazzcat
08-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Oh what a cutie.

This is my first post on the dog boards since my 3 cats keep me busy on the cat boards but as the owner of a bichon mix I had to reply. Congrats on the addition and I think it is wonderful that you took this little guy in. I'm sure he will calm down as he gets use to the situation and I'm sure he is going to be much happier in your home with other dogs than in the other where he was alone so much. Bichons seem to do much better with company than alone all day.

Enjoy your new addition.

Karen
08-16-2003, 12:45 PM
What a smile he has! As if to say "I'm home!" :D Congratulations!