PDA

View Full Version : Question about dog parks

Tonya
08-11-2003, 12:15 PM
These might seem like dumb questions, but I was just wondering about dog fights at dog parks. The closest one we have is one hour away, but I would love to bring my dogs. Dusty occasionally gets in a tiff with some males. (Not an actual fight, but enough to get your blood flowing.) I'm sure he isn't the only dog like that. Are the dogs just having so much fun that they don't fight? What if my dog is off leash and gets in a tiff? Is there some kind of dog park etiquette that I should know about before I go? Any tips? I want to go to a dog park so bad, but I am afraid that I might get myself into something that I can't handle. Thank you!

micki76
08-11-2003, 01:39 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only with these questions and apprehensions! Chester's the same way. We've been working on our obedience since there's talk of a PT meeting here in Oct or Nov and it'll be at a dog park!! Mine are never allowed off leash anywhere since they aren't terribly reliable around other dogs. :rolleyes:

Kfamr
08-11-2003, 01:50 PM
I was really surprised, my snobby boy Simba has gotten along so well at dog parks.

It works very well with simba if we walk him around the park before entering. Let him sniff the new smells and get used to the place. If your dog acts agressive outside the gate, I wouldn't try inside.

I've never really seen any dog fights in the parks, most of the dogs are well behaved. If it does happen, all of the owners are right there to tell them to knock it out.

anna_66
08-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Everytime we've been to the park there has been no *real* problems to tell of. Sometimes they get a little excited with each other, but that's really it. I was so amazed that so many dogs could get along so well. I would give it a try, your dogs are pretty small it wouldn't be too hard to break up a fight;)

primabella
08-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Mick got together with a friend of mines' dog and they wrestled and stuff. When they got too agressive, we just tugged on their leash to separate them. Maybe keeping your dog onleash the first time would help. That way you can get him used to the dogs and still have immediate control over him. Did that make sense? :p

KYS
08-11-2003, 08:02 PM
I am not sure what to tell you, only you know your
dog.
Sheba was fine at the dog parks, but Rocky got in
2 fights by the time he was 5 months old, and
the 2nd one he did not start.
That was the last time I took him to a dog park.
And because of past bad experience's he became quite a bully as he matured.

I truely feel that only dog friendly dogs that are not
dog dominant should be taken to the dog park.
Rocky was a head strong puppy, and was playing
nicely with the other dogs, until a male large adult
dog came over to hims and stared him down.
Well Rocky did not back down.
That was the last time I took him to a dog park. :(

wolf_Q
08-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by primabella
Mick got together with a friend of mines' dog and they wrestled and stuff. When they got too agressive, we just tugged on their leash to separate them. Maybe keeping your dog onleash the first time would help. That way you can get him used to the dogs and still have immediate control over him. Did that make sense? :p

I wouldn't recommend keeping a dog onleash in a dog park for long.....Well, just from my experience here....The first time I took Nebo to a dog park I had him on a leash. Several dogs ran up and surrounded him. He felt cornered and he snapped at them. Once I took him off-leash he was ok. I think it's a good idea to walk the dog around the park on a leash, and let your dog meet other dogs on-leash..but in a crowded dog park where all the other dogs are loose it can get a bit stressful on the dog. Nebo and Kia kind of got into a little tizzy at the dog park (don't know who started it :confused: ) but neither was hurt. I'd always recommend keeping a close watch on your dog at all times.

Kfamr
08-11-2003, 08:15 PM
I didn't really have to keep an eye on Simba since he barely left from under the picnic table.:rolleyes: :D

tikeyas_mom
08-11-2003, 08:30 PM
well Tikeya always challenges everydog befor she starts to play with them. she puts her head on the other dogs back and growns with hairs standing up. She is fine after the other dog backs down though. I wish we had a dog park here :(.

4 Dog Mother
08-11-2003, 08:34 PM
We live in Findlay so we go to the dog park very often. Some weeks it is every day. We also have both the dogs who will let others dominate and ones who won't. The easiest way to break up a dog fight is throw water on the dogs. It is probably the safest too because you certainly wouldn't want to be the one bit. Of course, water is not always on hand. Then hopefully you can grab ahold of your own dog and pull him away.

From what I have encountered most dog fights begin when too many dogs "welcome" a new dog into the park. Each dog has to do his "sniffing" and when a whole crew enmass on a new dog, trouble can begin. So it is best that you let each newcomer adjust to as few dogs as possible at a time. We try to introduce our dogs one at a time. And let the non-aggressive go first.

Also for some reason, the picnic table seems to be another area of contention. I don't know whether some are encroaching on others territory or what. But get several dogs under a picnic table and there is bound to be some growling or dis-satisfaction.

Keeping a dog in on a leash is not always a good way to tell if the dogs will work out in the park. For some reason, being on a leash makes some dogs more aggressive than others. Whether they feel they are at a disadvantage or what. I just have seen dogs ready to attack another dog on a leash but when off, go about their own business.

What ususally works for us, is to let our dogs meet the newcomers and then get ours walking around the park with us. Sometimes the new dogs join in, sometimes they don't. But it seems to break the tension either way.

Dazzi is our aggressive one and we can often tell which dogs she will not get along with - she doesn't not like goldens and often other long haired dogs like huskies. Then we just hang on to her a little longer and let her get used to them a little more slowly. The dog park has a time out cage so she sometimes ends up in it when she won't behave. Jack sometimes doesn't like other males. Again, we let them adjust to each other slowly, distract Jack by playing ball or taking walks.

It is amazing how well most dogs get along. We have been at the park with 20-25 dogs and had them all get along fine. And we have been there with just one other dog and had a hassle. We never thought our 14 year old Oreo would get to go to the dog park. She just doesn't like other dogs. But she loves wondering around, smelling everything new and she just growls at the ones who annoy her and everything is fine. It is funny to see dogs 10 times her size run from her when she does growl and snarl at them. With her with other dogs (not people), her bark is far worse than her bite.

For those of you who have more than one dog they want to take to a park and aren't sure how they will get along, I would advise only taking one dog at at time. It is very difficult to keep an eye on more that one dog if you are uncertain of how they will react.

lovemyshiba
08-11-2003, 09:11 PM
I worry about the same thing with Kito--but I don't have any parks around to take him to.
I'm sure Abbey and Riley would do great, and Kito may too--he's always much better off leash--he doesn't feel quite so trapped.

Good luck!!