PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras- help!

babolaypo65
08-10-2003, 03:23 PM
Hi pt-ers, I need some advice. I've been borrowing digital cameras for far too long. Time to buy my own. I'm on a budget (who isn't right?), and would like to spend about 300. I use a mac (sometimes that matters).

What do you wise folks suggest? Any brand you like, any particular camera? Any store you'd suggest shopping at? 3.2 megapixels is good right???

help!

binka_nugget
08-10-2003, 03:47 PM
3.2 megapixels sounds great although, 2 megapixels is fine also. I used my cousin's sony cybershot dsc-p31 (2mp). It was great with flash, but without it, it was iffy. I don't recommend it. It ate up about 8 batteries in 4 days, upclose pictures suck and the movie mode doesn't have sound.

Randi
08-10-2003, 04:05 PM
Good luck finding the right one! We have a Nikon Coolpix 950, but it's rather expensive, so take a look at this site, there are reviews on lots of different kinds. :)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

koxka
08-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Kirsten and Vio&Juni have one that works wonderful , you can see it from their pictures.
Mine it was expensive, now they come with great features for less.

dukedogsmom
08-10-2003, 04:50 PM
3.2 megapixels is very good. I don't know what one to suggest since you sometimes use a Mac. I got mine at buy.com. It's refurbished but it comes with a good warranty. And I knew it was good because my sister-in-law has had the same one for years. Also, I think they sell completely new items as well.

zippy-kat
08-10-2003, 04:52 PM
I just broke :( :( my Fuji FinePix 2600Zoom. Absolutely LOVED it!! However if/when I get another, I want one that will capture sound on the videos.

I hope to have a digital camcorder by the Oct PT Meeting!

EDIT: Wanted to add that Dell has wkly internet specials. I'm not sure if Mac does or not... might keep an eye on the website though!

babolaypo65
08-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks. This is a great start. Randi, I'll check out the site you suggested. The mac thing shouldn't be a problem, per se. I have USB/firewire, but some of the ones I looked at say "made for AVI" which mac doesn't really do so well.

Thanks. I'll keep asking you guys more questions, I'm sure.

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-11-2003, 06:32 AM
I have a Fuji 4800, which is 2.4 MP

I am very happy with it. It's VERY easy to use, and the picture quality is great - even for having prints blown up for framing etc

Just one thought - "try them on" to make sure you are comfortable holding the camera - there were ones available which were smallar than the Fuji, but my husband found the buttons too small and fiddly! So the smallest may not always be the easiest to use.