PDA

View Full Version : Lily has just taken over Luna's scratching post

Kirsten
08-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Seems to be very obvious now who's going to be the alpha cat here!

This happened about an hour ago: Luna was sitting on her beloved scratching post, chewing her cat grass (it's placed on one of the higher platforms). When Lily saw her eating, she immediately showed huge interest and wanted the same. She walked over to the scratching post, and already when she jumped onto one of the lower platforms, Luna started hissing and growling. When Lily tried to enter "her" platform, Luna pawed at her twice. Baby Lily fell, but came back and eventually started eating the grass, too, as if nothing has happened. AND WHAT DID LUNA DO???? She still growled a bit and stared at Lily, but then went down to a lower platform where she was still sitting for a while before she jumped down and left the room!

Even though I know they have to work things out, it was heartbreaking for me to see Luna giving up one of her favorite places, and I felt so bad for her! I know how much she loves her scratching post; everytime we get visitors she walks over there and scratches to show them it's hers!

BTW, as soon as Luna has left the room, Lily lost her interest in the cat grass.

Another thing: When they're sitting face to face and growl and stare at each other, it's always Luna who turns around and walks away...

Kirsten

Barbara
08-09-2003, 09:09 AM
In Singapore, dominant business women are called "dragon ladies". Looks as if you've got a dragon girl:D

However this is not the last word I am sure. Luna seems to be a little grumpy that this dwarf is now around. Giver her a treat and a scritchie.

Tigris and Filou share scratching posts (about the only thing they share) and still compete for the highest hammock in the cat tree. When Filou lies there, Tigris comes and starts what looks like friendly grooming but as a matter of fact it is mobbing:eek: After 2 minutes, Filou is bothered and goes:(

Apart from that they have different places: Filou on my duvet, Tigris under Siegmar's bed, Filou on Siegmar's desk chair, Tigris in the basket at the window etc.

I am sure there will be enough favorite spots for Luna and for Lily the menace
:D

bisi.cat
08-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Lily is such a brave and funny little girl...and Luna being the elder and wiser of the two surely just thinks "Well, let her have her way..."

As soon as they have both settled in with the new situation you will know who's really the boss (I vote for Luna!)...

This reminds me so much of the introduction of my sister's younger cat Mulle to fourteen year old grumpy cat Moni...first thing Mulle did was walk straight to her litterbox and pee in front of Moni's eyes, while Moni (who always was a threat to all the neighborhood cats) looked just dumbfounded and then with a hiss and growl of disbelief...

They go along fine today...Mulle is still the funny baby who's allowed anything (she's three now), but Moni is the boss...

ScantyNebula
08-09-2003, 09:13 AM
heh same thing here. I am sure they will get along in no time. At least they are not fighting! :D

How are they acting when it comes to eating? This is something I tried with Toby and Lily on their second day together ... I filled a bowl with tuna, to see if they would eat together, and sure enough, the two of them ate together from the same bowl :)

Now, I notice that whenever Toby sits down to eat, Lily sees this, runs over and pushes his head out othe way to eat from his bowl. Toby leaves, and then Lily stops eating! Its like she doesn't want Toby to eat lol

catmandu
08-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Scanty Nebula has a grat idea! Put somethingtasty in two little bowls sie by side ! And then they will associate good things from being together! And have some catnip that they both can share! Or an interactive toy! Dont worry they will learn to share!

Kirsten
08-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Good idea! :) I'll go and buy something very yummy on Monday! :)

I was already thinking about an interactive toy, but Luna isn't showing much interest in toys. But I will try it later when it has cooled off. Right now both kitties are sleeping, and that's the best they can do in this hell of a summer that we have here...

Edited because I forgot to mention:
An hour later Luna attempted to get her scratching post back. She sat on the ground and growled a bit, while Lily was still on "her" platform. The baby didn't even growl back at Luna and wasn't impressed at all, so Luna gave up and walked away after a couple of minutes.

BTW, Lily is still sleeping on that platform now, she hasn't left it since! :)

Kirsten

bisi.cat
08-09-2003, 11:37 AM
I highly recommend the malt or vitamin paste from Gimpet...I don't know any cat, who doesn't love it!!!

Kirsten,
I just found little Lily on a different website:
(turn on the tune!)
http://www.flowgo.com/flowgo2_view.cfm?page_id=10927

RedHedd
08-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Luna does feel her territory is being invaded. It will take time, but it sounds like you've made great progress for such a short amount of time together. They will figure it out. I had to train Mitzi to use the scratching post (she was using my carpet :rolleyes: ) and now she and Mishi share the same scratching post -- I must try to get a pic of them - one on each side of the post, him towering over her, both scratching away. It's really cute. :)

My two eat together at his bowls (I still have to keep their eating places separate as they're on different diets). She likes to go eat his (regular calorie) stuff and he likes her low cal stuff. :rolleyes: I'm taking Mitzi to the vet today for vaccinations and will get her weighed. I hope she's lost some weight, my little butterball! :D

Kirsten
08-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Looks like we're making some progress here: :)

Randi's idea to stroke cats with a wet cloth (due to the horrible heat wave we have) had a great side effect! I've tried it on my cats and thought I would start with Luna because it will do less harm to rub her scent on Lily than the other way around. And guess what happened? Luna lets Lily coming much closer and sniffs her, and when they just met in the hall, the sniffed each others' nose without growling. Of course they're still far from being best friends, but they're acting much better now! :)

Kirsten

NoahsMommy
08-09-2003, 03:46 PM
That's great news Kristen! :)

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Kirsten, I'm so glad to hear that they're starting to get along much better. :) I'm sure that everything will work out in time. Have you been able to take any pics of them together yet?

PayItForward
08-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Ditto. I'm glad they are getting on so well but where are the photos.

Kirsten
08-10-2003, 04:11 AM
So far they haven't been close enough for me to take good pictures of them together.

But things are getting better now - slowly! Of course there's still some growling by Luna, but sometimes she tolerates her now when she's playing next to her or when she's passing her by.

And they started something that looks like it could become a play. They run towards each other with arched back, then turn around and run away, and the other one follows, but they haven't wrestled yet.

Bad news is that Luna has peed on the carpet in the hall last night because the little one has slept in the cat room with the litter boxes in it (both didn't have access to my bedroom last night because I had no other choice but to open the windows wide, it's been 34°C in here = 94°F). Now I'll place one of the boxes in another room so Luna can go there while the baby is in the cat room. Hope this works, we all know how touchy Luna is when it comes to the litterbox business! :)

Kirsten

Barbara
08-10-2003, 09:40 AM
I am sorry for the litterbox problem. It's Luna's weak point -poor girl.

But all the other news sound wonderful. This will work much fatser than I expected. I agree with Bisi.cat: Try to feed them both with Gimpet Multivitamin paste. It's expensive but both Tigris and Filou hang at the tube as if it was a bottle:) I try to put something on different fingers but while I'm doing that the cats just lick it away:D

IttyBittyKitty
08-11-2003, 06:21 AM
Although it was a bit distressing, the whole scratching post thing was part of their "negotiations" for dominance. Once they sort that touchy little issue out, things will calm down a bit. Of course, rubbing them with each other's scent helps the whole thing along quite well!

I hope moving things around will help Luna out, she is rather touchy in that regard.

34 degrees? YOWEE!!!! I'm going to enjoy the cold weather for as long as I can!