PDA

View Full Version : we built a screen door for INSIDE

jenluckenbach
08-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Sasvermont (with the Ti problem) inspired me to build a door to separate our 3rd floor from our 2nd floor. This can serve our fosters or our own anytime I need to confine the cats (1, 2, ALL).
We built it from items that we found around my house (and my dad's house) We only needed to buy the hinges (and I probably could have found them too, but I wanted them to match.)
The door is in 2 parts, a regular size door, and a "window" size door that allows it to go all the way to the ceiling. (cats climb, you know)
Both the top and the bottom will swing all the way open and lay flat against the hallway wall OR all the way closed to entirely block the steps leading from the 2nd to the 3rd floor OR half way open/half way closed and it blocks the hall (on the 2nd floor) so now the 3rd floor and the master bedroom are in one section and the rest of the 2nd and 1st floor is in the other section. (This part still requires the addition of one more piece, but it will work like this soon)
Since my fosters are on the 3rd floor, in 1 of 2 rooms, this would allow them access to the 2 rooms (or 3) and the stairway, but not the rest of the house. (or my bothersome cats)
OK, enough descriptions, onto the pictures:
Picture #1 show the view looking out from the bedroom. It is 2 photos put together to get the full effect:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p9d7cd0cfd5e6b7b75121ca1dfff795f6/fb7164da.jpg
Picture #2 is looking into the bedroom. Both of these show the door open and flat against the hallway wall:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/pcb1f1a8e04d8e75435db3cc9ff2854b8/fb7164d7.jpg
Picture #3 shows the door closed blocking the stairs. I left the bottom door unlatched so you can see where the break is between the 2 parts.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/pdf7484d1f9a6cc5e677b73ea19550aff/fb7164d3.jpg
This is when I ran out of film and did not get a picture of it ACROSS the hallway, but you get the idea.
It is just dumb luck that the width of the stairway opeing was EXACTLY the same measurement as the width of the hallway.
By the way, this door was made from 2 large old fashioned wood framed window screens that my dad did not throw away when he got new house windows. Hip Hip Hooray for those pack rats out there.

tomkatzid
08-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Great idea;) The things we do for our kids:D

lizbud
08-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Jen,

The door looks great. :) I too tried to make a lot of mental
notes about Sas's screen idea. There were times when it would
have really come in handy at my house. Congrats on a job well
done. :D

Logan
08-08-2003, 09:16 PM
That's a great idea, Jen and will provide you with some ability to control things when you need to. My sister used one years ago when her daughter was an infant (she's starting college this year :eek: ) to keep her two cats out of the baby's room. It worked beautifully! So glad you decided to give it a whirl!!!

NoahsMommy
08-08-2003, 11:01 PM
That's awsome Jen!! It looks really great and it sounds like the perfect way to separate the kitties if you need to. :)

sammi
08-08-2003, 11:29 PM
;) Great job Jen! Do you hire out????:D :D

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2003, 12:11 AM
What a great idea. :)