PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the dermotologist

wolfsoul
08-08-2003, 05:02 PM
I have alopecia areatus (sp?). It is a disease where your immune system attacks your hair follicles.

Atleast I have a medical reason to go on a diet lol. Apparently my diet of cereal isn't good enough. :p I need to eat more vegetables. I'm trying to talk my mom into buying me some green barley. (Ok, I mostly want to use it for the rats...she won't know the difference ;) )

I also have to avoid stressful situations. Which contradicts the fact that I have to get another figgin' blood test!!! :( She said that they need to check my iron level. I'm not too sure why. But she's really nice. She said that since I'm afraid of needles to get the Emla cream. This time, hearing it from a doctor, my mom said okay.

She also said that since my hair is already growing back, it probably won't all fall out, but it's still a possibility so I have to watch it carefully. She said there is nothing they can do for my eyelashes. :( They will either keep doing what they do now (Falling out and growing back over and over) or they might grow back and stay that way. There aren't many treatments for alopecia, and all the treatments are only for your hair. Not your eyelashes. :( They won't treat my hair unless I get bald spots. The treatments are needles and/or cream. She said that since I don't enjoy needles, that she doesn't enjoy torture therapy and will use the cream. Lol.

I'm not as freaked out as I was before. I guess I'm growing accustomed to the whole no hair/eyelash thing. Blood tests aren't that bad, they don't hurt, just pinch, but I'm still getting the Emla cream so I don't feel it. It bugs me -- something going inside of my skin and into my vein. Taking my blood. Makes me cringe when I think about it.

I was sort of afraid to post about this. People keep PMing me their stories because they are afraid that people will think they're doing it for attention. I hope no one thinks that. :o

Jordan

tatsxxx11
08-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Oh Jordan, who could ever think that you're doing "this" for attention:( It's a very upsetting condition for a young person to handle and you're doing it with grace and class!:) Diet is SO impotant in treating this condition and as well, keeping you fit and healthy overall, so eat your fruit and veggies!!!:) Follow your Dr's advice and try and avoid those stressful situations...hard to do, I know;) Hopefully your hair will continue to grow back and your eyelashes too...Thinking of you and sending postive thoughts your way! {{{HUGS}}} Sandra

Karen
08-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Hey, at least you have an excuse to wear false eyelashes for glamorous occassions! ;) And an excuse to avoid stressful events (no, sorry, I can't go - my health depends on it! ;) Glad you are finding a way to manage!

wolfsoul
08-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks. :) I'm glad you don't think that this is for attention.

Lol, Karen, I'm still trying to talk my mom into the fake eyelashes! :D And if I do lose my hair, then I could always have a bunch of wigs. ...Hmmm I think I'll wear the purple wig today... ;) I wonder if they will let me quit school to avoid a stressful situation ;) lol

tatsxxx11
08-08-2003, 07:11 PM
I wonder if they will let me quit school to avoid a stressful situation

Just think of the possibilities!!;)

Cataholic
08-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Jordan, I am sorry to hear about this. I imagine it must be tough on you. I am glad to hear it isn't life threatening, and that your hair will grow back. I wonder if meeting with a nutritionist might be a good idea for you? Good luck!

gini
08-08-2003, 08:39 PM
Jordan, I too am sorry that you have this condition. Sandra is absolutely right - diet is all important. I think we can forget that sometimes and miss out on what the body needs to stay healthy.

I didn't think you posted this to get attention..but considering what you are going through - you need some attention from all of us.

There are GOOD ways of getting our attention, and there are BAD ways to get our attention.

Yours was only Good.:D :D

Tonya
08-08-2003, 08:59 PM
My mom had that from stress once. It grew back pretty quickly. I'm sorry to hear about it. Try to eat well and stay relaxed.

wolfsoul
08-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys :)

Maybe I should talk to a nutritionist. My diet is a terrible one. I'm glad I have a good metabolism. lol.

Here's what I ate today: 2 bowls of mini wheats, 3 bowls of corn pops, 2 pizzas, 2 cookies, 2 yogurts, 1 baby carrot. lol, I'm so unhealthy. I'll call that my last splurge. Then again, yesterday at Wendy's was my last splurge. Meh...From now on, I'm going to try and eat healthy! :D

I'll try and exersise too. I usually bike with Timber everyday, but it's been too hot..:eek:

krazyaboutkatz
08-09-2003, 12:36 AM
Jordan, I'm so sorry to hear that you have this condition. :( At least it's not life threatening and seems to be treatable through diet and relaxation. Maybe you should try meditation to relieve some of your stress. Please take care.

IttyBittyKitty
08-09-2003, 04:55 AM
Argh, I hate blood tests too!

At least now, you know what is wrong with you. Follow the doctor's instructions and you'll be fine! I prescribe plenty of Pet Talk to ease you through your days! :D

I lost a lot of hair myself when I was your age. I felt ugly enough, without that happening too! So, I'll say right now ... you're a lovely girl and you'll be fine and dandy! :)

Barbara
08-09-2003, 07:17 AM
I think it is very courageous of you to talk about this condition openly and in public.

Just have your iron level checked. The production of hair is so complex and iron is one of the things that can influence the growth. Many women suffer from a loss of iron. It was presribed to me some weeks ago and I see that my nails grow much more stable now.

The complexity makes it so difficult to predict what can happen. Diet, some extra substances etc. will certainly help to keep your hair as healthy as possible:)

Rachel
08-09-2003, 07:37 AM
Think of this as your body giving you a wake up call, putting you on notice, if you will. Poor nutrition can lead to many more problems than the one you are dealing with now, so in a way that this happened is a good thing.

As I look back on my early adulthood, I am aghast at the crappy diet I consumed. Now I wonder if some of the physical problems I have could have been avoided had I eaten a more nutricious food. Fruits and vegetables are of paramount importance. You don't have to give up your cereal, just eat less of that and look for a good healthy one.

People here will be more than willing to offer some suggestions. It's okay to make changes slowly and little, by little to add the nutrients you need to your diet. Supplements never substitute for the real thing, good healthy food. Keep us informed on the changes you are making in your eating patterns.

anna_66
08-09-2003, 07:50 AM
Well I'm glad to hear that you finally know what the problem is & how to deal with it. Now...if you can only change your cereal diet;)
Good luck!

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Hi Jordan,

I've had Alopecia Areata since 1988! It started during my final exams at high school (my Doc back then also told me it is stress related), and even today, if I am really stressed at work or something, I get a "breakout" - or should that be a FALLOUT?

Mine is in the centre of my head, about 1 inch back from my fringe, about 1 inch square - it always falls out in exactly the same place. When the hair grows back it isn't really very noticable, and I have learned to style my hair to disguise it - most people don't even know I have it - only my family and now everyone on PT! The only downside is that I am limited as to what hairstyles I can wear - no middle partings, and I can't have a nice thick fringe, as it shows if my fringe is too far back into my hair (does that make sense?)

When I first got it they treated it with cortisone injections into my scalp:eek: Then they gave me a horrible cortisone cream which made me look like I hadn't washed my hair in months!!!

Now I just work around it and try not to get too stressed. The patch hasn't got any bigger, and also hasn't broken out anywhere else.

So don't feel alone - there are plenty of us with the same "problem". If you feel like venting you are welcome to PM me - I REALLY know what you are going through!

(((HUGS)))Julie

wolfsoul
08-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

I'm eating cereal AND broccolli as we speak lol.

I'm still not looking forward to the blood test. It wasn't that bad last time. Sure, I cried, I was hysterical, but it didn't really hurt..Just the thought of it, and I can't get it out of my mind. :o Uggh. I'll have to go through with it.

Julie -- they told me about those cortisone injections. I wasn't happy lol. If I ever need to ask any questions, or talk about it, I'll pm you :) Thanks for offering.

KYS
08-09-2003, 03:29 PM
What a silly goose you are, who would ever think
you were doing this for attention!!!
As Sandra said, follow your Drs. advice,
and TRY NOT TO STRESS!! (easier said than done) :)

Sending you many positive/good thoughts.
Hugs Karen

popcornbird
08-25-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm glad it isn't something serious, and can hopefully get better with a healthy change in your diet and lifestyle. Sorry that you have to go through this, but thank goodness it isn't anything too bad.

With a healthy diet, should your hair start to grow healthy again? I sure hope so. Good luck and keep us updated!

wolfsoul
08-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

With a healthy diet, should your hair start to grow healthy again? I sure hope so.
I hope so too. :) My hair is growing back. It's very annoying because the hairs are still quite short and stick up right in the middle of my part. T-T The hairs on the back of my neck are growing back too. I could have done without those. :p

I'm still on a diet, and it's making me gain weight! I've gained six pounds since I've ben on it! My aunt says it's because I'm getting better and more healthy. T-T Evil diet. I'd rather switch back to nothing but cereal! :o lol, ahhh it's hopeless.