PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone with covered litterboxes have this problem???

moosmom
08-08-2003, 10:47 AM
All my litterboxes are covered because my cats tend to dig to China when covering their stuff.

I use Feline Pine. I remove the solid waste 2x a day, in the a.m. and p.m. Last night I noticed that there were little bugs flying around the inside. The room itself is a little warm and humid cuz of the weather. I'm not sure if it's just the litter that's attracting them (it's actually pellets of sawdust that turn back into sawdust when it absorbs the urine) or if it's because the boxes are covered.

I was just wondering if any of you have had this problem with the SCOOPABLE litter as well.

I hope I don't have to change back to the scoopable litter, cuz I really like the Feline Pine. But, if it will eliminate the bugs, then so be it. If it's just the weather, heat and humidity in the room, I guess I can live with it till fall and winter comes.

emily_the_spoiled
08-08-2003, 10:53 AM
I have three covered litter boxes and I have not seen any bugs floating around. But I have been running the A/C 24/7 because it is that time of year down here. The other difference is that I use the scoopable littler and not the Feline Pine (I tried it but Emily didn't like it...)

2kitties
08-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Never had a problem like that. We keep the boxes in a closet in the basement, it's always very cool down there.
My boys have absolutley refused to use anything except Tidy Cats Crystals.

Cinder & Smoke
08-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
...Last night I noticed that there were
little :eek: bugs flying around the inside...

Hey Donna ~

Call em up and ask if there's any possibility that your
"lil :eek: BUGS"
came along for the ride IN the Feline Pine bag?

Call us at: (800) 749-PINE
Write us at: Nature's Earth Products, Inc.
2200 W. Florida Mango Rd.
2nd Floor
West Palm Beach, FL 33409
Email us at: [email protected]

Feline Pine web site (http://www.felinepine.com/index.htm)

:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-08-2003, 11:22 AM
I really don't know, Donna, but I'm thinking it's just the heat and humidity. Here in Chicago we're having a problem with gnats which I don't ever remember hearing about. I think it's just all the rain and humidity. If they're not too bad, maybe wait until the weather gets cooler and dries out a bit and see if the flies disappear before changing litter. Although I don't know if the flies might be a health hazard to the kitties......

K & L
08-08-2003, 11:39 AM
It almost sounds like something laid eggs in the litter and they hatched.

ramanth
08-08-2003, 11:43 AM
I've got gnats and I hate them. :mad: *squisy, squishy* ;)

I've started to spray the inside cover of the litter box with Lysol everytime I scoop or change the litter. Seems to be helping. :)

(Now the knats have migrated to the kitchen trash... :rolleyes: )

Dad calls the little gnats 'no-see-ums'. :D But I can see em! :p

moosmom
08-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks Phred!!

I called them and told them about. I told them I wasn't sure if it was because of the heat, humidity and covered litterboxes, or if maybe a couple of them hitched a ride on the last bag I bought. They were VERY nice.

Not only are they sending me a coupon for a free 20 lb. bag, but they said if I send the UPC label and register receipt from the bag I bought, they'll refund my money!!!!

I told the woman they had an exceptional product that I really like better than clumping litter. She said that they really appreciate any and all comments or complaints, and to call back again if something else comes up.

What a great company!!!

jenluckenbach
08-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Even though you have already talked to the company I thought I'd answer. I use all covered boxes and scoopable litter and I have not had this problem (yet). So maybe it was that particular bag of pine.

shais_mom
08-08-2003, 11:26 PM
I have been mixing Feline Pine with my regular litter but I haven't noticed these yet. Sounds like they are an exceptional company!!!

krazyaboutkatz
08-08-2003, 11:41 PM
I use scoopable litter with my covered boxes and have never had a problem with any kind of bug yet. I tried the feline pine and both the cats and I didn't like it. They sure sound like a great company though. :)

IttyBittyKitty
08-09-2003, 05:50 AM
I'll have to wait and see when summer comes!

I, too, use a covered litter. LOL@ digging to China, Pixel goes in there sometimes just to dig. I think it's because she's an indoor cat only, and enjoys feeling a bit of the "outdoors" under her paws. I also use clumping litter, and as she is the only baby using it, I empty it once a day.

Ick, we have VERY humid summers here I really hope we don't get bugs too! I am also worried about how to keep Pixel cool during these times.

catmandu
08-09-2003, 09:44 AM
I had to buy Litter gitter mats as my Cats forever are digging to China and there is a big pile in front of the box. Then some cats will use the pile or the remnants if it is not totally cleaned up!Cats!!!!

08-09-2003, 12:47 PM
No bugs here! Both our boxes are covered too; we did this because Inka & Maya always dig a lot too, and no matter how often I sweep the floor, there is ALWAYS spilt litter on ...:mad: :(

moosmom
08-09-2003, 05:31 PM
Yeah, the covered litterboxes are great, but there is still SOME litter that happens to make it way outside the box. Hey, I guess it's just one of the cons of having cat. And it that's all there is, so what????

ramanth
08-11-2003, 09:23 AM
I picked up a bag of Feline Pine on Friday and mixed it with the last of the "Normal" litter (Tidy Cat). At first Zam stuck her nose up and ran off but Logan used it right away.

No messes on the floor from the weekend, so I know Zam decided to use it. :)

Not sure if the Tidy Cat is soaking up the piddle, but the Feline Pine was still hard when I scooped this morning. :confused:

Is that why they say you can wait 4 weeks before changing the box?

moosmom
08-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Kim,

Yes. It lasts about 4 weeks. Once it turns to complete sawdust, you just dump the whole box and start over. I love the stuff. It's best to gradually introduce them to it. You do that by mixing the Feline Pine with the litter you're currently using. Once it's ready to be completely dumped, you just use the FP.

I remove the solid waste 2x a day, in the morning and at night. It cuts down on the odor. The urine is absorbed by the pellets. I don't bother with a scoop either. I just use a paper towel to remove the solid stuff. It's alot easier.

Keep me posted as to what you think.

ChrisH
08-11-2003, 01:17 PM
I also use the wood pellet litter, I used it in the open litter box and continued to use it when I got the covered box. It works really well so I haven`t had any reason to change to anything else.
I scoop the solid waste every day.... I don`t use the usual scoop for the solid waste, I use a ladle! :) Also, most days, I use the normal scoop to sift the pellets free of the sawdust, then scoop out the dust with the ladle and then add a little, or lot, as needed, of fresh litter.:D

Chris

shais_mom
08-13-2003, 12:24 AM
Donna have you noticed increase tracking of the litter since you switched?
I have noticed more litter outside the box than with the other.

:)

ramanth
08-13-2003, 08:46 AM
So far so good. :) I'm getting used to the Pine smell. :)

There is a little bit of sawdust but still plenty of hard pellets. I'm really liking this stuff.

moosmom
08-25-2003, 10:43 AM
I think I figured out the problem with the bugs.

I bought the "suspected" buggy bag of the Feline Pine at a feed store. I noticed little holes in the bag, but figured it was from them stacking bags on top of each other, making the pellets cause the holes, so I paid no attention.

Well, I went to the same feed store this weekend and bought another bag, but didn't notice the holes in the bag till I got home. Since it was late while I was changing the boxes and the store was closed, I used it anyway. I did mark the boxes I used that particular bag in and will watch it for bugs again. The other bags I bought from PetSmart had no holes.

I'm figuring either there are mice or bugs in the warehouse that are somehow getting in the bag and causing the problem. If I get bugs again, I'm going to PetSmart from now on.

The only reason I've gone to that feed store is because they match the prices of PetSmart and PetSmart is a little further to travel. Looks like I'm making the trip!! :D

Just to be on the safe side, I'm also going to check the bags before I buy!! Better to be safe than sorry.