PDA

View Full Version : Rooster & Cat

K & L
08-08-2003, 10:14 AM
I think this picture is so cute. This is Newman, one of the park ferals, and one of the many roosters that live there. The chickens, roosters, and baby chicks, all eat together with the cats!And the cats don't eat the chicks!

http://www.mindspring.com/~neal241/azcats/saguaroranch/big/18-tuxedochicken.jpg

2kitties
08-08-2003, 10:18 AM
That is a wonderful pitcure!

Reminds me of my trip to Kauai, Hawaii. The resort where we stayed had cats everywhere. They weren't exactly feral, but not exactly strays. They kept the rodent pop down around the resort grounds and "lived" in the garage area behind the restaurant. The restaurant management apparently kept them fed.

On Kauai, there was a hurricane and flood years ago that set all the domestic chickens free. Today, chickens run all over the island. I'm serious, they are everywhere. The island bird is the rooster. You're standing in the walmart parking lot and a chicken will walk by. It's weird.

K & L
08-08-2003, 10:33 AM
That is weird! I went to Oahu one time but never saw that!

2kitties
08-08-2003, 10:37 AM
K&L, from what I've read, it is just on Kauai. The domestic chickens were freed in the flood. They have since mated with the Fighting roosters and are now a thriving wild population with no natural predator.
Very interesting, I think.

K & L
08-08-2003, 10:44 AM
That is interesting! Would love to see it, along with Kauai:D

Uabassoon
08-08-2003, 11:05 AM
That picture is just too cute! It makes me want to go visit your ferals at the park. Glendale isn't that far.....

K & L
08-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Uabassoon
That picture is just too cute! It makes me want to go visit your ferals at the park. Glendale isn't that far.....

Come on over!! We would love to take you on a tour of the park and meet all the ferals. Let us know if you ever plan on coming to Phoenix and we'll get something arranged. It could be fun!

Uabassoon
08-08-2003, 11:17 AM
K & L I just sent you a PM :) Maybe next month I can go and meet your park ferals and the roosters :)

K & L
08-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Looking forward to it. Bring your camera!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-08-2003, 11:26 AM
What a great picture! It's funny how the cats don't bother the chickens seeing as how chicken is one of Peanut's all time favorite foods. :D

K & L
08-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
What a great picture! It's funny how the cats don't bother the chickens seeing as how chicken is one of Peanut's all time favorite foods. :D

It's funny cause the cats are actually afraid of the grown ones.

One of the funniest sites we've seen at the park is a cat was running in shear terror (that wasn't funny) so we stopped to see what was going on........would you believe a RABBIT was chasing him?!:eek: We laughed so hard and wished we had a video camera. I think it would've had a close running for first place on Homes Funniest Videos!

Uabassoon
08-08-2003, 11:43 AM
It's funny cause the cats are actually afraid of the grown ones.

LOL I don't blame them, I'm afraid of the grown ones too!

ramanth
08-08-2003, 11:49 AM
What a unique shot! :D

bisi.cat
08-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Aaaawww, what a lovely picture!!!
We had chickens a long time ago and they were really smart and we had lots of fun with them, my favourite chicken (a Dutch Hooded Bantam) named Wilmaaaaa even joined me on my walks...and yes, they are almost very brave and a big rooster has very much self confidence...

So I guess cats and chickens are great company...

Fox-Gal
08-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Love that picture, Looks like my back yard. Same kind of chicken and Dagwood my black/white cat. You sure you didn't sneak in my yard.............j/k ;)

My cats sleep with the chickens alot and just seem to enjoy watching them. There's never been a problem, they all seem to know not to mess with each other.

krazyaboutkatz
08-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Great pic. :) My cats would probably be afraid of rooster's too. :)