PDA

View Full Version : World's first cloned foal

Miss Meow
08-06-2003, 08:29 PM
I fail to see the sense and benfits in cloning animals. Does anybody agree with animal cloning, and why?

--------------------------------------------------------

From www.theage.com.au

World's first cloned foal
Deborah Smith
August 7, 2003

The cloned foal with her mother.
Picture: Giovanna Lazzari

The world's first cloned foal has been born. And in a double first, the mare that bore her is the horse from which she was copied, making mother and daughter genetically identical twins. Named Prometea, the Haflinger foal was created by Italian researchers.

While sheep, pigs, cattle, mice, rabbits, cats and mules have all been cloned, horses have proved extremely difficult. In May, a mule was the first member of the horse family to be cloned.

Prometea was the only survivor out of 328 cloned embryos made by taking a skin cell and fusing it with an empty egg.

The embryos were placed in a number of surrogate mothers, and it was by chance that the one destined to survive had been placed in the mare that provided the skin cells for cloning.

The researchers said the birth challenged the accepted wisdom that a mother's immune system had to recognise a baby as different for a pregnancy to succeed.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1060145722570_2003/08/07/07CLONED_HORSE.jpg

Miss Meow
08-06-2003, 08:34 PM
And 327 embryos failed to create one life ... :rolleyes:

RICHARD
08-06-2003, 11:53 PM
a phoned coal????????????:confused:

RICHARD
08-07-2003, 11:38 AM
saw a pic of the horse....beautiful!

cheetahgirl
08-07-2003, 10:31 PM
No, I don't believe in to clone. I think its wrong.

CathyBogart
08-08-2003, 02:06 AM
I think that cloning, like anything else, has its uses. When I'm more awake I'll go into it in detail. :)

tikeyas_mom
08-08-2003, 03:13 AM
I think cloning is pointless and waist of many and time, why play god? the lamb that was cloned died after 2 years, she never got to even live her life to full age!!!!!

why tortue these creatures with all these test ect..

primabella
08-08-2003, 08:30 AM
You took the words out of my mouth Jynelle. Why play God? Maybe cloning has it's pluses (I said maybe, I don't even know them) but I think it's totally wrong to clone. Maybe if anything cloning of endagered species is okay, just to get the population up to help with breeding but other than that...I don't know.

the lamb that was cloned died after 2 years, she never got to even live her life to full age!!!!!
That was because she was cloned, her body aged faster than it normally would. Or that's what the local news said here.

What are they trying to achieve doing this??

pitc9
08-08-2003, 05:30 PM
I could NOT agree more...why do these people play God?

What reason in science do they need to do this?:mad:

breezy625
08-09-2003, 10:26 AM
i don't because every animal is unique in a different way. with cloning they arent