PDA

View Full Version : Indoor or Outdoor?

Dogz
08-06-2003, 06:14 PM
I haven't posted much in the Cat forums, because I don't have a cat, but I really want one! I was wondering if your cat is indoor or out. I would love to have an indoor cat, but sadly, my mom is allergic. Do you think it is bad to have an outdoor cat?:confused:

Uabassoon
08-06-2003, 06:30 PM
I personally keep my kitties indoors all the time. The area where I live in just isn't safe for kitties to be roaming around outside. I think depending on where you live an indoor/outdoor cat is fine as long as you are able to be outside with your cat to make sure he's safe. However if you are planning on keeping your cat outside 100% of the time, then maybe owning a cat isn't right for you. Maybe you can talk to your mom about getting her on medication. I'm allergic to my cats but I still have them anyways. I take medicine and use an inhalor once a day and I'm fine.

Dogz
08-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the advice.:) No, I'm not thinking about getting kitties right now. It just isn't the right time. Prince has never been around cats before, so I will wait a while be for I get cats.:) I just like to go to my friends house and play with their cats. I also volunteer at my local humane society, and spend lots of time with the cats there.:D

NoahsMommy
08-06-2003, 06:35 PM
There is a ton of stuff you can do if you have allergies and want to have an indoor cat.

*Get a vacume with a hepa filter....if your mom has allergies, this will help her every day. Its an excellent investment if she's that bothered by them.

*Install hepa filters in your air conditioner

*Vacume and dust your house often

*Groom your cat, giving them lots of brushing and wipe baths. You can get these http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping/grooming%5Fsupplies%5F%5F%5Ftools/wipes%5F%5F%5Fwaterless%5Fshampoo/products/product%5F34708.shtml at your local PetSmart. I'm going to pick some of these up this week for our furkids.

We normally use these:
http://www.petsmart.com/cat/shopping/grooming%5Fsupplies%5F%5F%5Ftools/wipes%5F%5F%5Fwaterless%5Fshampoo/products/product%5F20138.shtml and they work really well.

*Get a shedding hook for cats. You'll see them here at PT, there's a thread right now all about it. It removes SO much hair.

*Don't allow the kitty in your parent's bedroom

I have both allergies and asthma and my maine coon sleeps on my pillow at night. (READ: large, furry cat) :) All this stuff has worked for me, and I've also developed an immunity to the cats.

If your mom has allergies, she's most likely taking something like Allegra. That works for cat dander as well.

Good luck! Let us know what happens. :)

Dogz
08-06-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks!:D I will have to talk to my mom about all of this stuff. I love seeing all of these beautiful kitties here on Pet Talk, and if I can talk her into it, I can get the cat from the Humane Society that I have been keeping my eye on.;)