PDA

View Full Version : Big Ol' Bad Ron

Tonya
08-05-2003, 12:37 PM
A new cat showed up around here and I'm assuming he's a stray because he's really afraid of people. I've been concerned because Ron has been hissing and chasing this cat off. Ron gets along with the rest of the cats in the neighborhood, and I wouldn't want him out if he's going to get into cat fights. Anyways, today, I pull up, and Ron and this stray are in the front lawn sleeping. Totally cuddling together. They were like one giant fur ball. It was so cute. I get out of the car and Ron thinks "Oh! I got caught being nice!" He hissed and ran the cat off. It was funny. My big tough guy.

I want to try to get this cat fixed and vaccinated; but we have some new people in the neighborhood. I'm going to wait a bit and make sure it isn't their cat first.

Please don't make this thread and indoor/outdoor debate. If you have a comment about my cat being outside, find the indoor/outdoor drama thread and post there.

PayItForward
08-05-2003, 01:47 PM
So the new cat may be a keeper ?

Where are the photos ? ;)

Tonya
08-05-2003, 02:43 PM
He won't let me get close enough yet! But as soon as he does, I'll take pics. He's a long haired brown cat. He looks a bit mangy right now, but he'd be beautiful with some brushing.

ramanth
08-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Sounds like Ron's protecting you from the 'stray'. 'My mommy! Mine! ;)

Hope you get to keep him! :D

NoahsMommy
08-05-2003, 03:15 PM
He could be a stray...usually feral cats have groomed hair and their used to being on their own. Ferals also do not come out during the day.

That's all a good thing in I bet he'll be able to be tamed. :)

Very cool!

Tonya
08-05-2003, 03:33 PM
I bet Ron will tame him! :D

Tonya
08-05-2003, 03:35 PM
He could be a stray...usually feral cats have groomed hair and their used to being on their own. Ferals also do not come out during the day.

Noahsmommy, whats the difference between a feral and a stray? I thought they were the same thing...Strays have homes but wander around, Ferals are wild?

PayItForward
08-06-2003, 11:40 AM
Strays cats have been socialized with humans at some stage in their life, they would prefer to find a home. They can be seen at all hours of the day, may be vocal, often will eat food in front of you. Some cats are dirty & badly groomed, as if they can't cope on the streets.

Feral cats are not attached to humans. They are happy to be on their own, they don't want an home.Tend to look clean and well groomed. Generally seen dusk & Dawn, silent, won't eat food until you back off.

In short Strays can be befriended, loved and rehomed, whereas Ferals just want to be left in peace (preferally after they have been altered, near a feeding station)

NoahsMommy
08-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Strays cats have been socialized with humans at some stage in their life, they would prefer to find a home. They can be seen at all hours of the day, may be vocal, often will eat food in front of you. Some cats are dirty & badly groomed, as if they can't cope on the streets.

Feral cats are not attached to humans. They are happy to be on their own, they don't want an home.Tend to look clean and well groomed. Generally seen dusk & Dawn, silent, won't eat food until you back off.

In short Strays can be befriended, loved and rehomed, whereas Ferals just want to be left in peace (preferally after they have been altered, near a feeding station)
That was a great explanation!! Cool!

Tonya
08-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Thank you, payitforward. That is a good explanation.

K & L
08-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Well I have to admit during some of our feral TNRing I'm sure we caught a few neighborhood cats. We just figured if they're not going to get them fix, we will! If they're roaming free without tags, you just don't know! I vote for getting him fixed!!

Tonya
08-07-2003, 12:25 PM
Good point, K&L!

I can't help but have this mental picture:

"Hi, welcome to the neighborhood. I'm Tonya. I stole your cat and had his nads cut off. I hope you didn't need them. Nice to meet you."