PDA

View Full Version : Using The Sink As A Litterbox

krazyaboutkatz
08-04-2003, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone. :) I'm asking this question for a co-worker. He has 3 male cats. He adopted two of the cats about 7 months ago. I think that they are still under 1 year old. The other cat is about 7-8 years old. For the past 2 months one of the younger cats has been peeing and pooping in the bathroom sink. :eek: He said that the other day they had company over and the cat did it right in front of them. Have any of you ever had this problem before? Do you know what might be causing the cat to do this?

I told him that it might be because the litterbox is too dirty for him. He had also thought of that too. I think that he only has one litterbox. I also told him that he might want to try to train the cat to use the toilet. He thought that would be a great idea. Thank you in advance.

gini
08-04-2003, 11:38 PM
Gosh, Tracey, it sure sounds like a litter box problem to me. Sometimes they just don't like each others odors. He really should have two litter boxes for three cats.

When I had Emma and Annie in the house along with Rascal it became very clear I needed more than one box in a matter of hours. I found myself cleaning the box out five times a day.
Not fun!

Uabassoon
08-05-2003, 04:08 AM
I used to have a problem with Corkscrew pooping in the bathtub. After I learned he was healthy I did a few things to get him to stop. I made sure to clean the litterbox more often, I sometimes would get lazy and wouldn't clean it everyday so now I make sure I clean it everyday. I also gave him more attention and started giving him treats out of my hand on a daily basis. Then wondering if the tub was just an attractive place, I would leave it filled with a little water to stop him from going in there. Now he doesn't do it anymore unless I go away on a trip.

Killearn Kitties
08-05-2003, 04:10 AM
I too think the first thing to try would be an extra litter tray.

jenluckenbach
08-05-2003, 04:57 AM
Peeing in a sink or bathtub is almost always a sign of UTI or crystal formation. The fact is that these placs feel "cool" and therefore feel good if they are experienceing a bit of burning or pain. But the fact that it is combined with pooping may mean something else. I would still rule out the UTI/crystal formation, because the pooping could be just a "Habit" caused by doing the peeing in the sink. And since male cats can block so easily and it is a LIFE-THREATENING illness, please ask her to have it checked out.

Only after that cat is cleared of illness can you start thinking of other possible problems.

Randi
08-05-2003, 07:06 AM
I agree with Jen here, the first thing to do is have the cat checked for crystals, it can be really painful to pee if he's blocked - and life threatening!
A clean litterbox is essential of course, and maybe she could try to change the kind of litter she uses. :)

Barbara
08-05-2003, 07:14 AM
I agree too: first he/she should rule out an UTI and then add a new litterbox -or two. Cats can be very picky about their places to go....

Edwina's Secretary
08-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Edwina used to do this. But only in the powder room in the house we lived in before. I think she was too lazy to walk downstairs sometimes. (sigh.....) I always had to check the sink when company came over. I think I posted the story once of her getting in the sink while the realtor was showing around some potential buyers.....:rolleyes: The realtor -- a friend and animal lover knew about her habit. She grabbed Edwina and said "Aren't cats so cute how they love cool surfaces!"

Once we moved she tried the powder room sink once but didn't like the configuration...:rolleyes:

Although I would prefer it to the dining room carpet....

krazyaboutkatz
08-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll relay these messages to my co-worker. BTW it's a man. :)

IttyBittyKitty
08-07-2003, 06:29 AM
Mum's cat, Whiskey, had a wonderful habit of peeing and pooping in the shower. Yup, she'd do both. Nope, there were no health problems. The reason she did it? Pure spite directed at me. If I refused to feed her or do what she wanted, she'd go straight in there and do her thing!!!!!

moosmom
08-07-2003, 06:51 AM
First thing is to rule out a Urinary Tract Infection. Once the cat gets a clean bill of health, the rule of thumb is one litterbox per cat. I suggest your friend go out and buy 2 more litterboxes so they each have their own.

It COULD also be that the litterbox is not clean enough for the cat. I check my boxes twice a day, having 8 cats of my own. Once in the morning before I go to work and once when I get home. Because it's summer and hot out, I absolutely HATE coming home and smelling my litterboxes.

Please keep us posted.

krazyaboutkatz
08-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the great info. :) I told him about the litterboxes and hopefully he'll buy at least one more. The older cat uses the bathroom outside. He also mentioned that this problem cat demands a lot of attention and has been known to do bad things in order to receive it. He's on vacation now so I'll try to find out how the cat is when he returns. Thanks again everyone. :)

tuxluvr
08-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Dittos on the UTI thing - when Ritz had hers, it was the only time she ever attempted to pee somewhere other than her box....she felt like she had to pee all the time and jsut couldn't make it back to the box...get the checkup, and I would agree on one box per kittie.

I can always tell when Ritz wants the litter changed...she does this little tightrope walk around the edge of the litterbox and won't walk inside it :rolleyes: ...we sift litter no less than every other day and completely replace clean litter at least every two weeks (sometimes more often, depends)-we are a one-cat household.