PDA

View Full Version : Seeds or Pellets?

wolfsoul
08-04-2003, 03:25 PM
For a tiel what do you think is better to make up the base of the diet? Seeds or pellets?

I've been reading alot, and while one side says that seeds are very fatty, the other side says that since pellets have been sold, there has been a dramatic rise of the diseases of cockatiels. Pellets also have more vitamins, but I plan to feed both, so my tiel should get enough vitamins.

What should I use more of? Seeds or pellets? I think I'm leaning towards the seeds...

Any opinions?

CathyBogart
08-04-2003, 03:55 PM
We use mostly seeds at work, we just make sure never to use seed mixes with sunflower seeds in them, as they are extremely fattening! I so adore the way the pellets smell...yummy...Same with hand feeding formula...it smells so good!

wolfsoul
08-04-2003, 04:00 PM
I thought the pellets would smell like rabbit pellets lol. I hate the smell of those.

I read that most tiels won't convert to a pellet diet easily...So I read that you can mush them up in warm water and add veggies and they might like it better. I'll have to try that :D

Also -- does anyone know what kinds of pellets are best?

CathyBogart
08-04-2003, 04:33 PM
The pellets we use smell like Trix! They don't taste so good though. >.<

We've used the warm water method too, especially for our just weaning birdies.

wolfsoul
08-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by WolfChan
The pellets we use smell like Trix! They don't taste so good though. >.<
Speaking from personal experience? :D

CathyBogart
08-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Yep!

wolfsoul
08-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Heehee...I ate one of the hamster treats the rats got from the gift swap. Nummies. :p

binka_nugget
08-04-2003, 05:08 PM
lol my brother and I tried a pepperoni stick that was meant for Kai. It tasted just like an actual pepperoni, I think it might have been. I had to go out and buy a whole lot more because it tasted so good lmao.

tikeyas_mom
08-04-2003, 06:37 PM
well we feed Cheeko cockatiel seed, he likes it, he refuses to eat anything other then seed. :rolleyes:

popcornbird
08-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Actually, they say pellets are important for tiels to have a balanced diet. Tiels fed ONLY a pelleted don't always do well, and tiels fed ONLY seeds can get fatty liver problems later in life. Tiels need to be fed a well balanced diet of seeds AND pellets, along with fresh veggies, whole grain bread, popcorn (no butter or salt), etc to get proper nutrition. My advice to you is do NOT lean towards just seeds or just pellets, because you need to feed BOTH along with veggies like broccoli, peas, carrots, etc. Tiels that are fed an only seed diet are hard to convert, but it they get used to variety at a young age, its as easy as apple pie. :p My tiels tried their pellets out the first day I offered them, and by the end of the first week, they were actually enjoying it. I feed them half pellets and half seeds (in their food bowls), and out of the cage, I feed them veggies daily, so it adds to the nutrition they get. My vet recommends seeds AND pellets for tiels. He said that only seed diets and only pellet diets are bad. Although tiels will probably like seeds better, you need to give them both. I give them half and half and when I watch them eating, I see them eat one seed, then one pellet, then one seed, etc. They take turns and eat both. :p

Ps. Wolfchan, at the pet store where you work, do you feed the birds ONLY seeds? That's sad. :( Those birdies probably give their mommies a hard time learning to eat other stuff. :p

At the Petco I go to, they feed their birds seeds, pellets, and dried veggies. A very complete diet, and I think its good because the people who buy them don't have to go through much trouble of having them eat a variety of different foods.

tikeyas_mom
08-04-2003, 08:24 PM
trust me popcornbird, my cockatiel Cheeko, hates veggies and fruits and pellets and bread, he will push it all out of the food dish and go right for the seeds. I have even tryed putting them all in different bowls and he just ignors them :(.

How old can cockatiels live to be?? :confused: I think Cheeko is like 15-18 years old. .

CathyBogart
08-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

Ps. Wolfchan, at the pet store where you work, do you feed the birds ONLY seeds? That's sad. :( Those birdies probably give their mommies a hard time learning to eat other stuff. :p

Did you READ my posts? We feed MOSTLY seeds, with pellets mixed in, and the birds get a dish of fresh fruits/veggies/tofu/etc every morning. Some of the birds don't eat the pellets, but most do. Our younger Sun Conure only eats the red ones. 0.o

Our birds get great diets, and we're very proud of the care they get! ^.^ (Our Timneh and our Phillippine Blue Nape just went through their well-bird exams with flying colors!)

wolfsoul
08-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Ok, thanks, I'll just do half and half. :) How much a day should one cockatiel get?

Tikeyas_mom -- If he doesn't like it, you should try adding some vitamins to his water. The only problem with that is that you have to watch him to make sure he's actually drinking his water, because if a tiel thiks the water tastes funny he won't drink it. It is also a breeding gorund for bacteria, so the water will need to be changed about 3 times a day. But atleast he would be getting his vitamins...

I read that the avarage lefespan is 15-20 years, but a very healthy tiel can live to 30. :)

tikeyas_mom
08-04-2003, 09:01 PM
wow Cheeko still has alot of years left in him ;). we have cheekos water in a HUGE saucer thing hanging on the sade of his cage he uses it to bath and drink lol, he also potties in it often or Spring does :rolleyes: we change it once a day.

I dont think he would like the vitamin idea. lol he is very picky .

popcornbird
08-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Oh Wolfchan. Sorry, didn't notice. :o Sounds like you take great care of your birds at work! That's wonderful. :)

Tikeyas mom, I trust you. LOL Cheeko doesn't because he's well into his teens and never got used to it. Have you tried giving him dried veggies available at pet stores for birds? Its like dried greens a crushed into an *almost* powdery form. You should try giving him that. He might like it, and he'll get his greens from it. :) My birdies prefer fresh, but when I go on vacation, I buy that so that their *bird sitters* give them that. I prefer they don't give them fresh veggies in their cage because no one is as careful as their mommy to clean it all up right after they are done eating so it doesn't rot. :o

Cockatiels' average lifespan is what they usually say 15-25 years. Tiels easily live into their 20s and many make it well into their 30s as well. I've *heard* some have even made it to like 41 but I'm not sure of that. Cheeko's probably in his middle ages at the moment. Wish you many many more years with that Cheeko boy. :)

Ps. They usually do not recommend putting vitamins in water, because it rots FAST, and if you forget to change it like 3 times a day, it can rot, and that's not good for your tiel. They sell vitamin bars for birds, which look kind of like seed treats but are vitamins. I would recommend those over adding vitamins to water, since they don't rot, and we all know how much tiels like to chew on hard stuff. :p

CathyBogart
08-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Hehe, thanks. :)

We've had a few birds that we've out vitamins in the water for, and even with our morning/evening water changes they were pretty gross by the end of the day. I'd say that might be a good idea once in awhile, maybe if you have a weekend where you're going to be home to wash it out a few times. LoL