PDA

View Full Version : rats, foiled again!

RICHARD
08-04-2003, 11:34 AM
from the LA DAILY NEWS..

Who let the cats out? An idea blossoms at Flower Mart
By Mariel Garza
Staff Writer

A few years ago, the Flower Mart in downtown Los Angeles had an unpleasant problem: Large rats with a fondness for red carnations roamed the two warehouse buildings, terrorizing tenants and customers.

"We tried everything from big traps and the glue traps to even more inhumane ways," said Scott Yamabe, general manager of the Los Angeles Flower Mart.

But nothing worked for long.

Enter the cats.

A colony of feral, or wild, cats placed at the mart by an animal rescue organization immediately drove out the rats. Since then, the cats have taken up permanent residence, an arrangement that has worked out well for both the mart and the cats.

The relationship began three and a half years ago, when Melya Kaplan, founder of Venice Animal Allies Foundation, an animal rescue organization, stopped to chat with a mart worker one day. As someone who worked finding permanent homes for abandoned or undomesticated wild cats, Kaplan came up with an idea to solve two problems.

She convinced Yamabe to try out some cat tenants, with the understanding that she would take them all away if they didn't work out.

Kaplan said all the cats -- which number about 20 at the various mart locations -- came from shelters, where they would have likely been euthanized, since feral cats are considered unadoptable because of their human-shy nature.

"We wouldn't want to place domestic cats because people take them," Kaplan said. Domestic cats make friends with people and forget why they are there. "We don't want people to play with cats. They are there to do their job."

The cats have names such as Attitude and Frankie, since he's the king of the mart's anti-rat pack.

They have displaced the rats, but not by catching and killing them -- although Yamabe acknowledged that a few rat-less tails have been discovered since the cats moved in. Rather, its the "eau du cat" odor that drives the rat to find safer territory.

So far, the living arrangements have worked out just fine, Kaplan and Yamabe said.

"(It's fine) as long as tenants don't complain and as long as cats aren't eating the flowers," Yamabe said. "Then we may have to bring in dogs."

---

PayItForward
08-04-2003, 01:06 PM
What a good idea !

jenluckenbach
08-04-2003, 01:36 PM
Sounds good to me (as long as these cats were neutered first).

Killearn Kitties
08-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Excellent solution!

AmberLee
08-05-2003, 12:03 AM
??? Maybe ferals are less experimental than domestic cats, but I've banned cut flowers from our home since the night Cassy ate a dianthus (poisonous, blast it).

:eek: :rolleyes: :(

gini
08-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Richard, I was at that Flower Market and I actually saw the cats.

Have you ever been there? It is huge and great deals can be had if you want flowers. (bought some there for a birthday party).

krazyaboutkatz
08-05-2003, 12:45 AM
I think that this was a great win win solution. The feral cats now have a home and the Flower Mart is rat free. :D

bisi.cat
08-05-2003, 01:27 AM
This reminds me very much of the cats of ancient egypt...first they were allowed because of the rats and mice...later they were worshipped...:D
Go, cats, go!!!:)

HayleyRosie
08-05-2003, 05:55 AM
Sounds like a great solution. Too bad there are no pictures. :(

RICHARD
08-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by gini
Richard, I was at that Flower Market and I actually saw the cats.

Have you ever been there? It is huge and great deals can be had if you want flowers. (bought some there for a birthday party).

hmmmm,

i'll have to get down there!!!
:)

slick
08-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
the "eau du cat" odor that drives the rat to find safer territory.
That's exactly what happened to my Ex when I tried that perfume.........:eek: :eek:

How could anyone go into that shop and not want to pet them. I'd have a real hard time with that.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-05-2003, 04:56 PM
:confused: Um, if the cats are in a building, where do they go to the bathroom? Just wondering.;)

RICHARD
08-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
:confused: Um, if the cats are in a building, where do they go to the bathroom? Just wondering.;)

LOL, then i'm just gonna have to get directions from Gini and go look for myself......of course i'll have to buy flowers too!!!:)

gini
08-06-2003, 12:27 AM
The Flower Market is a huge building - divided into several rooms, but more like a manufacturing plant. There is stall after stall of all kinds of flowers - all fresh. You can either buy by the "bunch" which is much larger than say a "bunch" that you would buy at the grocery store. When you buy them - they cut off the stems if you want and then wrap them in newspaper. It is primarily for wholesalers, florists, and opens at 2 AM. But they let regular folks in at around 7 AM

I have to be honest, I never did see a litter box, but then I wasn't looking for litter boxes. It is possible that they have them underneath the tables where the flowers are displayed. The cats have the complete run of the place - but you don't see them very often.

The place that is really fun is Moskatel's which is right next door.
And if you park in "their garage" (Richard this is for you), and buy something in their store.....the parking is free. Otherwise the lot up the street costs $5.00.

Moskatel's has everything for parties, candles, ribbon, wrappings and so much "stuff" that it is a days event to get through the place. But you can save a lot of money if you are throwing a party.

Well, this is more than you all wanted to know about the Flower Market:D :D

NoahsMommy
08-06-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by gini
The Flower Market is a huge building - divided into several rooms, but more like a manufacturing plant. There is stall after stall of all kinds of flowers - all fresh. You can either buy by the "bunch" which is much larger than say a "bunch" that you would buy at the grocery store. When you buy them - they cut off the stems if you want and then wrap them in newspaper. It is primarily for wholesalers, florists, and opens at 2 AM. But they let regular folks in at around 7 AM

I have to be honest, I never did see a litter box, but then I wasn't looking for litter boxes. It is possible that they have them underneath the tables where the flowers are displayed. The cats have the complete run of the place - but you don't see them very often.

The place that is really fun is Moskatel's which is right next door.
And if you park in "their garage" (Richard this is for you), and buy something in their store.....the parking is free. Otherwise the lot up the street costs $5.00.

Moskatel's has everything for parties, candles, ribbon, wrappings and so much "stuff" that it is a days event to get through the place. But you can save a lot of money if you are throwing a party.

Well, this is more than you all wanted to know about the Flower Market:D :D
ooh ooh ooh! Gini!! I want to go there too!! Will you take me?? :)

gini
08-06-2003, 12:36 AM
Of course, we could do the Flower Market, Moskatel's - then have lunch - and then go to the Grove and Farmer's Market.

Richard? Wanna join us?

Uabassoon
08-06-2003, 02:20 AM
That sounds like a really good idea. I'm glad the ferals have a home now.