PDA

View Full Version : Great scratching mat

Candy
08-03-2003, 01:27 PM
I made a great, easy, & inexpensive scratching mat for my cat, Rocky, & he loves it!

I got a natural fiber door mat ($5) and secured it with heavy-duty staples to a board. Plywood or any kind of firm board and nails with big heads would work good, too.

The first thing Rocky did when he saw it was sniff it thoroughly and then he proceeded to sharpen his claws on it. He uses it regularly now.

You can try just the door mat without securing it but cats like something immovable better so they can get a good grip on it.

Declawing cats should be outlawed!

A short, sad story:
A friend had her kitten declawed because he was always going to be a house cat and for 17 years he was a house cat. About one week ago he darted out the door unnoticed and he hasn't been seen since. The poor kitty is (was?) practically defenseless against the coyotes that are prevalent in San Diego County. Not to mention all the other dangers out there.

Candy

jenluckenbach
08-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Welcome.

I like the scratch pad idea. Have you had it long? (I wondered how well it holds up)

I am very sorry for your fiend's kitty who escaped. 17 is very old for a kitty and it is entirely possible that he/she was searching for a place to go to die. But wherever he/she is I send my prayers and well wishes.

krazyaboutkatz
08-03-2003, 05:50 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Candy. :) Your mat idea sounds great. I'm so sorry to hear about your friends cat though. Hopefully he'll be found soon. I'd love to hear more about your cat and see some pics of him too.

NoahsMommy
08-03-2003, 09:33 PM
Welcome Candy! :)

I really like your mat idea...I bet my cats would love it! Thanks for passing it along.

As for the declaw thing....I couldn't agree more. Its now to the point where it makes me ill to think about cats having to go through that. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-04-2003, 03:59 PM
A big welcome to PT, Candy! I loved hearing the story of your Rocky. I have Tubby (black in my avatar) who is 17 and he's also been my constant companion since he was a kitten, and Tubby too is still quite active, although he only gets to go outside on a leash with me supervising.

Peanut, the tortie is my avatar, is almost 15 and has been hoping for a beau here on PT ever since Tubby and Samantha got hooked up. Maybe she and Rocky will hit it off once you figure out the whole picture posting thing. ;) :D

If you click here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21032&goto=nextnewest) you will find a wonderful tutorial on posting pics.

Again welcome to PT! :)

Kona & Oreo's mom
08-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Welcome, Candy. I look forward to hearing more about Rocky and see his pictures soon. He sounds like a very polite boy if he waits until after you're awake to start meowing! Can he teach that patience to my Kona? :)

Candy
08-06-2003, 01:40 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p7e0019d7c2a22953539d935cf781aef5/fb76a323.jpg

OK - here's Rocky's picture, finally. I know everyone's just dying with anticipation for the great unveiling!

Rocky doesn't usually like to meet new people but the first time my future husband came over to my condo, while he was sitting on the sofa, Rocky pulled his socks off. I took that as a good sign and it was!

To Tubby & Peanut's Mom: Thank you so much for the link to the tutorial on picture posting - I needed that. ImageStation is so cool. It's hard to believe they let you post pictures there indefinitely for free but I'll take it. I was trying to post Rocky's picture as an attachment before but it wouldn't work. This way is even better!

Isn't it nice to be able to have 2 cats that are living nice long healthy lives? You must take very good care of them. The older Rocky gets, the more worried I get that something may happen to him. He is SO pampered now. I want him to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for the cat who lived the longest - along with every other cat. I've lost 2 cats due to my ignorance & carelessness and I never want that to happen again. In my life I hope to give many more cats a happy, healthy, safe environment where they can live to a ripe old age.

I don't think Rocky is much interested in being anyone's beau, but you never know. Show his picture to Peanut and see what she thinks.:)

To Kona & Oreo's mom: Hi Neighbor - I'm in Escondido! Kona is so pretty. I especially like her clean, white bib. How old is she? Oreo, you're pretty, too.

Candy

Kona & Oreo's mom
08-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Rocky is so handsome! I'm glad that we'll get to see pictures of him. Kona and Oreo thank you for the compliments. Kona just turned 10 years old and she will always be my first baby. Oreo will be 5 years in a few months, and she has learned to be a good "little" sister to Kona. It's good to see another San Diegan on here--I'm in Rancho San Diego.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Candy
I don't think Rocky is much interested in being anyone's beau, but you never know. Show his picture to Peanut and see what she thinks.

Oooohhh, Rocky is beautiful!!! I'm sure Peanut will be thrilled to see his picture and I'll have to dig out some of her most provocative photos to capture his attention. ;) :D

Denyce
08-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Welcome Candy!

I grew up in Encinitas. So I also feel like a San Diego native although I gave it all up for the beautiful mountains of Central PA. I love the change in seasons.

Denyce

Denyce
08-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Awwww...Rocky is a pretty boy!:D I am sorry Chucky is gone..he was beautiful also.

Uabassoon
08-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Rocky is so beautiful! I have such a little soft spot for siamese cats. One of my cats is a siamese mix.

krazyaboutkatz
08-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Rocky sure is gorgeous. :D Chucky was very handsome too. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Peanut says Rocky is a "hunk." :rolleyes: ;) :D

She made me drag out the camera last night for some pics to see if she could get Rocky's attention, but I haven't had a chance to get them off the camera yet.

Chucky was a cutie too. I'm so sorry, but I guess he was needed at the RB. :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-07-2003, 02:43 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. I'm glad you managed to get up-and-running on Imagestation so quickly - it took me months!:o

Looking forward to seeing more of Rocky - he is a handsom guy!