PDA

View Full Version : Last year...

Cataholic
08-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Jen's picture of Bonnie reminded me of Minnie. Minnie was 'captured' last April, came to live with me last July, and as most know, it has been slow, but steady since then. On very rare occasions, I will see Minnie in the am. I always see her in the pm now, and the last few nights, she creeps out of her hidey hole in the closet, and meanders down the hall!!! I saw her in the kitchen last night, where the other cats dine. I saw her in the corner of the dining room the night before that. Unfortunately, I don't get many shots of Minnie. Once she sees me up on my feet, and coming towards her, she runs away. I really try to ignore her. I acknowledge her, of course, but, then, I go about my business. I don't want her to think everytime she sees me, I am coming after her.

Two pics...one from before November of last year, when she still lived in the basement only.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p411b541823e3acd68f67fa47893d772c/fcc81c79.jpg

This pic is from a month or so ago, maybe May, upstairs in the back room. I always see her here at night, at the window, or underneath the chair in the same room. Just hanging out.

Notice the difference in her eyes and stance, amazing, isn't it?
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p2238a38657618edcdc00e6f72f95f7c9/fbd0e8f5.jpg

Steffi N
08-02-2003, 05:57 PM
I see the change, hopefully Minnie will become more confident and
in time allow you to approach her and pet her. She is a beautiful flufy kitty.

gini
08-02-2003, 06:04 PM
What a beautiful cat she is...........it must be difficult to leave her alone. In her own time she will come around.

Nomilynn
08-02-2003, 06:12 PM
And how sweet it is to see her with spending time with her family, too! :)

That's great :)

jenluckenbach
08-02-2003, 07:27 PM
You can most definitely see the difference. The "ignore" routine worked quite well with Fern. That combined with a certain amout of petting, even if that meant laying on the floor reaching into inaccesible places. Keep in mind that it took Fern 4 years to come lay on my lap. And even though she still scurries away 7 out of 10 times I reach for her, she also demands her morning pets atop of the fridge.
Go Minnie, Go. The best is yet to be.

moosmom
08-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Johanna,

What a beautiful cat Minnie is!!! Eli is the same way as Minnie is. Once feral, Eli runs when I approach him. But once I'm in bed, he'll come up on his own for some loving.

It takes time. You're doing a great job with Minnie. I do the same thing with Eli. If he's laying around, I just go about my business to let him know that I'm not going to approach him.

God forbid I should have to get him in a carrier and take him to the vet. It's a chore. Fortunately I haven't had to do that in QUITE some time :D

I've had Eli since November. He used to let je come up to him and pet him, but then I had to get him in a carrier and since then, he's taken a couple of steps back. I hope that time he'll learn to trust me again.

Good luck with Minnie! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
08-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Johanna, I think you're doing a great job with Minnie. I can also realte. My Cirrus is semi-feral and I can't pick him up. He also runs from me if I get too close to him or make a sudden movement. He loves to get his daily pets and to be groomed though. I've had him for almost 5 months now so hopefully in time he'll become more relaxed. I'm sure that in time Minnie will also become more relaxed around you. Good luck. :)

Miss Meow
08-03-2003, 12:56 AM
You're doing a great job with Minnie. Who's that she's relaxing with in the second pic?

She's a beautiful, elegant looking girl :)

Ally Cat's Mommy
08-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Minnie definately looks more relaxed and at ease. It's so rewarding to see how, with enough love and attention and PATIENCE these "stressed-out" kitties become the most contented and happy pets.

HUGS to all of you for your patience and perseverance!

bisi.cat
08-03-2003, 03:09 AM
Johanna,
you are doing such a great job!!!
It's amazing what love and patience have done to Minnie!
She looks great in the second pic and I'm sure she's happy in your home and enjoys the life...so great that you accept the relationship on her terms!!!:)
Eye-blinks to Minnie!!!

Cataholic
08-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
You're doing a great job with Minnie. Who's that she's relaxing with in the second pic?

She's a beautiful, elegant looking girl :)

That would be Tenny, the most laid back one of the bunch. All the kitties pretty much ignore her. That really isn't the right word...they just don't interact with her. They all use her litterbox in her private closet...and I always laugh when I see one of the others walking out the door. So, I know all the kitties are fine with each other.

catland
08-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
All the kitties pretty much ignore her. That really isn't the right word...they just don't interact with her.

That you know about. :D My Sidney who is my undersocialized boy - pretends not to play with the other kitties. But sometimes if he thinks we're not looking he will. Its so funny because the moment he notices that we are there - he stops what he's doing so we try not to get caught.:p

ramanth
08-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
What a beautiful cat Minnie is!!! Eli is the same way as Minnie is. Once feral, Eli runs when I approach him. But once I'm in bed, he'll come up on his own for some loving.
Logan is the same way.

I think Minnie and Bonnie are both slowly coming out of their shells. Great job!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-04-2003, 04:46 PM
I think this is the first "full-frontal" pic we've seen of Minnie and she is beautiful!!! You can most certainly see the difference in her, and it's so great that she is finally wandering about more freely. Amazing how the other kitties have gotten to know her well enough - and she them - that they have no problem being around her - or her around them - but she is still so leery of you. She must have really had some bad run-ins with people to be sooo distrustful. Poor girl. :(

But with your love and patience she is coming around and that is just so wonderful to see. :)

Oh, and on a side note, you said the window seat in Tenny's thread was saggy. Well, now I see why it's saggy - because he's in it all the time!!!! ;) :D ;) :D

PS - I know Tubby would just love one of those, but I just don't have the right kind of windows - drat! :)

Felicia's Mom
08-04-2003, 08:09 PM
You can see a big improvement with her, congrats.

shais_mom
08-04-2003, 08:45 PM
She is beautiful!
I am so glad she is having a coming 'out'!
You are a very patient and a great kitty mom!

rg_girlca
08-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Aww Minnie is such a beauty. You can really see the difference in her in the pictures. What an improvement.:)

NoahsMommy
08-04-2003, 09:30 PM
She looks great Johanna!!! :) I'm so glad!

Vermontcat
08-05-2003, 12:45 PM
It is so nice to see Minnie hanging out with one of her tux brothers.:)