PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, Sweet Pea- what's wrong!?!

Desert Arabian
08-02-2003, 12:23 PM
Ok, so I just got back from camp to come home to a very sick rat.

Sweet Pea has a bloody nose, and is open mouth breathing and heaving really hard. She doesn't have any rice crispies though, but she was making weird squeeking type noises. I gave her a dose of Baytril and steamed her in the bathroom.

Does anyone have any advise on what it could be/what I should do. I have her seperated from the others in case it is another round of pneumonia, so the others won't get it.

Her Mom is also doing so-so, since she has those tumors. She is nowhere as bad as Sweet Pea.

Help!

:(

Aspen and Misty
08-02-2003, 12:46 PM
O no I am so sorry! I have no advice! The poor baby! ::hugs::

Ashley

luckies4me
08-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Well if she has Poryphorin staining then she is sick, obviously lol. I am so sorry she is feeling awful. :( It could be Myco, or a virus, or pneumonia. I would take her to the vet and see if they can give her a Baytril/Doxy combo. :)

Hope she feels better soon.

Desert Arabian
08-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Ok, thanks for the info.

She doesn't open mouth breath all the time, just once and a while. Other wise she just seems to have labored breathing. I have some Baytril left over from the other ratties, it doesn't expire til 2006. I think I am going to give the left over Baytril to her myself, before spending $100 on a vet visit to give me the same stuff that I have now anyways. If she gets worse/appears to be in pain, then I will take her in.

Kater
08-02-2003, 04:02 PM
I will be keeping Sweet Pea in my prayers. I hope the Baytril gives her some relief or better yet knocks out the infection all together.

luckies4me
08-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Ok, thanks for the info.

She doesn't open mouth breath all the time, just once and a while. Other wise she just seems to have labored breathing. I have some Baytril left over from the other ratties, it doesn't expire til 2006. I think I am going to give the left over Baytril to her myself, before spending $100 on a vet visit to give me the same stuff that I have now anyways. If she gets worse/appears to be in pain, then I will take her in.

Yep I hear ya there! I am taking FOUR of my boys to be neutered monday, ouch! :eek: I am lucky that I get a discount though.

I have a Myco girl here who just started showing symptoms not to long ago who showed no relief on the Baytril alone, but with the Doxy she is on her way to recovery. :) I hope you do not have to take her back to the vet though and hopefully she can recover at home where it's more comfortable. I sure bet they missed you!:D