PDA

View Full Version : Pet Talk going down hill? I don't think so.

gini
08-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Do you really think Pet Talk has gone down hill? I for one, do not agree.

While we may have been absorbed by our dead or alive Jessica, there are a whole week's worth of wonderful pets that have been shown. Let's see, three a day times seven days.........

Just two weeks ago I was having a BBQ at my home for Pet Talkers. It sure didn't go down hill at my house.......and that was only two weeks ago.

There are so many caring, loving, honest, truthful members on this board.......why would you let just one bad apple ruin the whole forum for you?

I encourage you to go back and read all of the posts that you missed in this past week. Maybe you could have made a difference by making a kind and encouraging comment. Maybe somebody out there needed a Pet Talk hug (don't we all?).

All of us have learned a lesson about the internet this week. It has caused most of us some anguish.

But all of the GOOD is still here - all of the laughs, silly pictures, beautiful pictures - belly rubs, jokes, recipes and on and on.

And most of all - most of the GOOD people of all ages are still here too.

Gone down hill???.........I don't think so!

Kfamr
08-02-2003, 11:37 AM
There's more than one bad apple.

It's been slowly going down, alot of new members which alot I have become good friends with but others are just iffy.

I did enjoy the group at the PT meeting in Ohio. I do enjoy most Pet Talkers.. There's just the few that make it stressful for me to come on.

It's still my favorite site, of course! :) :) :)

rg_girlca
08-02-2003, 11:45 AM
VERY WELL SAID GINI.

DITTO!

Logan
08-02-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm not going anywhere!!!!! No one is going to get rid of me that easily!!!! :) :) :)

momoffuzzyfaces
08-02-2003, 12:19 PM
FOR THE RECORD: I AM NOT GOING ANY WHERE!
As I've said many times: I love this site and it will take more than a handful of childish individuals to get rid of me. Just because some have not been taught it's wrong to lie, doesn't mean I'm going to let them ruin this site for me.

Where else can we see tons of tummies to rub and ooh and ahhh over? What other cat has the fashion sense of our Lady Edwina? What other pupsters seem to have a direct prayer line to God like our Cinder and Smoke? Where else can you laugh your self silly over "klamz juice"? or Frito Feet?
I feel you gain a lot more by staying and lose more than you'll ever know by leaving. If people don't like me, they are free to ignore me but I won't be driven out of a place I love.
(now getting down from my soap box ... whoops...
excuse me, I tripped.):eek: :D

Aspen and Misty
08-02-2003, 12:29 PM
LOL.

DITTO

Ash :D

rg_girlca
08-02-2003, 12:33 PM
(now getting down from my soap box ... whoops...
excuse me, I tripped.)

Oh gosh, I needed a good laugh today, thank you very much momoffuzzyfaces.:D

shais_mom
08-02-2003, 12:39 PM
I don't think we should judge our beloved PT with the 'peck of bad apples' that have been around lately.
I for one love PT and love all my FRIENDS I have met here! If I didn't I wouldn't be here everyday!

Aspen and Misty
08-02-2003, 12:51 PM
I just got proof that Pet talk is not going down hill!!

ENJOY!

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31563

Ash

jenluckenbach
08-02-2003, 01:01 PM
***APPLAUDS*** for Gini.

And for those who think it is going down hill, well, there are a lot of other places for YOU to go.

Pam
08-02-2003, 02:06 PM
As in day-to-day life, there are ups and down here as well. There have been times I have been annoyed with people but I have taken a couple of deep breaths and moved on. Also there is the neat little 'gadget' called the Ignore button. It is really quite useful, and I know because I have used it! :) I know there have been some really terrific "oldies" go and at times I get sad thinking of 'how it used to be.' I have met some really super new people though, so I think things pretty much have balanced themselves out. When I see a thread by a member who I know is a "chat type" poster I just don't view it.

Could I ever REALLY leave 100%??? I really doubt it. I would worry about all of the kitties and doggies with medical problems and how they are doing, and who is getting a new furkid and of course the pictures!! There are some days that I really NEED to see pictures! There is nothing like a story of a beloved pet, complete with pictures, to turn a bad day around by plastering a big smile on my face. I also have made some very treasured friends on here and frequently respond to their e-mails and PMs quicker than those of friends whom I have known for ages. The reason why? The bond that we have as pet lovers! Pet Talk people understand me! LOL! There is always a listening ear here or a word of encouragement or a funny story. Who could ever forget all of the Pet Talk adventures, with the kitties flying all over the world to meet other Pet Talk kitties. I have laughed with folks and cried with folks. These are the things that keep me here. For the most part I feel like you are family. :) (((hugs)))

carole
08-02-2003, 03:03 PM
There are some very caring, kind compassionate individuals on Pet-talk, life is full of ups and downs.

I for one am proud to be a member, sure I have had my differences with one or two members, I usually say my peace, get it off my chest and then move on, in general and on a whole everyone is GREAT, and I have learned many things,sometimes its best to keep ones mouth shut lol, but seriously I enjoy my time with you all and hope I make some sort of contribution to the site.

Cataholic
08-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Gini- as usual, very well said. I am not going anywhere. Even though you all voted to exclude me from petsville, I am here for the duration.

I think PT is like any other 'group', a microcosm of the world- the good, the bad and the ugly. I have some weirdos in my real life, that lie, cheat and steal (shoot, who else do you think I represent??). I have people in my life that aren't over the top about cats (hello Dog people), people that are hypocondriacs (hello people that post about their cat do-doing twice in one hour), people that think fitness is just fat related (can't link that one to PT). Ignore the ones that get to you, laugh with the ones that humor you, cry with the ones needing to be consoled, learn from the ones that teach you, and most of all, love your pets to peices!

Life changes. Roll with it, do something about it, or pass over to the other side.

luckies4me
08-02-2003, 06:18 PM
I know this sounds weird, :o but I always hear mention of Frito Feet? Do pets toes really smell that way? Should I go sniff some toes? :confused:

hehe I really want to know though lol. :p

gini
08-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I know this sounds weird, :o but I always hear mention of Frito Feet? Do pets toes really smell that way? Should I go sniff some toes? :confused:

There is a whole thread about Frito Feet and it is very funny. You will have to go to "search" to find it though....it is a year or so old.

Yes, they DO smell like Frito's......but you will have to verify that for yourself with a good sniff.

gini
08-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I am not going anywhere. Even though you all voted to exclude me from petsville, I am here for the duration.

I must have missed the thread where you were excluded.

But all you have to do is take Binx with you - go through the gates and kinda hang low along his side - and YOU ARE IN!

Everyone will be checking out Binx and will never notice:D :D

Freckles
08-02-2003, 06:40 PM
I know this sounds weird, :o but I always hear mention of Frito Feet? Do pets toes really smell that way? Should I go sniff some toes? :confused: hehe I really want to know though lol. :p

This has been the official poll for several days now, (right there next to the Pet of the Day, etc.) so I start this thread.
Frito feet poll (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30735)

Kfamr
08-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

And for those who think it is going down hill, well, there are a lot of other places for YOU to go.

Could you please show me these places? I'd love to check them out! :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
08-02-2003, 09:24 PM
I also agree with Gini. There are far more good people here at Pet Talk than bad. If this wasn't the case then I wouldn't be here either.

Felicia's Mom
08-02-2003, 09:42 PM
I like it here at Pet Talk. I should be posting more now too. I couldn't use my last computer too long or it would shut off.

zanzanfergie
08-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Pam
I know there have been some really terrific "oldies" go and at times I get sad thinking of 'how it used to be.' I have met some really super new people though, so I think things pretty much have balanced themselves out. When I see a thread by a member who I know is a "chat type" poster I just don't view it.

See, this is the part that worries me. What do you mean by a "chat type" poster? Am I one, just because I use emoticons and am a teenager?
I know that the 'old' (not as in age, as in time spent at this board) members are very close, as well as the late night AIM group. That closeness is what makes this board great, and it's wonderful to see, but at the same time it makes it very very difficult for 'newbies', like myself, to make any kind of impression on this board. I try really hard to be nice, and fair, when I'm posting but to break into that close circle of 'oldies' it seems you have to be one of the originals.
And I don't know what else I'm supposed to do to be accepted by everyone.

Aspen and Misty
08-02-2003, 10:10 PM
Zanzanfergie- Please do not let the comments on this thread affect you. I know how you feel. Actaully, I almost left pet talk tonight because of some of the comments that have been made at "me" (a teenager). Just keep thinking to yourself, someone in this big website loves hear and read about your stories. I know I love you two adorable little bunnies! So keep the post coming, I can gerentee you not everyone will like you, I'm sure there are TONS of people on here who dis-like me. But think of all the people who DO like you, I am one.

Ash

micki76
08-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Zan-Zan - It is hard to feel that you belong here sometimes. But remember that you do and that there are people here that like you, your posts and the fact that you LOVE animals. :D

Ash - don't you dare let anyone run you off this board!
I'm fed up with people being mad at you kids and saying you're ruining "their" old Pet Talk. It's yours, too. Pet Talk is everyone's, not just the originals, longtimers or us old farts.

bnormal
my $.02

This web site is a community of members from all over the globe. Generally speaking I think we all get along great! I would say that the majority of folks here are very kind, considerate and mature. The 2 things we have in common are we love pets and we are human. Loving pets is very easy to do...so lets talk about the difficult part...being human.

As humans we all make mistakes. Some mistakes are worse than others and we don't need to be reminded of those. However, lets be generous with understanding and give each other some slack and when you see someone who has obviously made a mistake remember that you too have made them yourself...so don't be so harsh.

I don't agree with everything I read on this site. In fact, I think a few people on this site are absolute morons. But I would never tell them that. Why rub it in? It is not worth my energy so I just ignore them. (unless someone says something disparaging about Dobes)

As for the young/old debate...I think us old folks can learn something from the young folks and I think that the young folks can learn something from us old fogeys!

Take from this site what you can...leave something good and fuhget about it!

:D :D :D ;)

Cookiebaker
Very well said, Gini!! I certainly hope that not many more people will leave. :( Yes, even though this board might change, it will *hopefully* remain the same, a fun place to chat about a love for your pets!!!! That is what I enjoy the most about it!

Fox-Gal
08-02-2003, 11:04 PM
I have not been here long, so really have no idea how PT use to be. I also have not made any real connections with anyone here, as of yet. As zanzanfergie said it is hard to "break into that close circle of 'oldies' " But I will stay at PT, there are some bad points to PT but the Good out weighs them.

As is our everyday lives, there is good and bad and as long as the good out weights the bad, we should not complain. And If the bad starts to out weigh the good....just as in your daily life.....you do your best to turn it around.

To assume the worse is asking for the worse.
To assume the best is getting the best.

Like I said I haven't been here long to know what PT was like before, but I do belong to other forums, pet & non-pet, and they all have their good and bad. PT has there's.... but who doesn't.

That's just my $.02...for what it's worth.

Worth about $.02!!!!! ;)

PJ's Mom
08-03-2003, 12:11 AM
I don't think Pet Talk is going down hill. Does it need help? Maybe.

As a former admin of a BBS, my suggestions would include:

Delete zero-post members every 60 days
Hire more mods and admins to help take care of this place. It's enormous! :D
Delete same subject threads. If the board gets too cluttered, it's not fun to navigate around. Also, move topics that don't get posted in their appropriate forums.
Keep members from regestering if their IP address matches that of another member. (Members can only register one user name)
Be a little more strict with the rules. (although it's not too important around here)

Just some ideas. ;) I think Pet Talk will be around for a long time to come. :)

Miss Meow
08-03-2003, 01:20 AM
I think Pet Talk will be better if we have a new Mr Fish thread - I missed the first one ;)

IttyBittyKitty
08-03-2003, 01:50 AM
What Pet Talk is suffering is the phenomenon that you see as a forum (or indeed any group of humans) gets larger - as more and more people join, you start to see extremities of behaviour that you may not see in a smaller group. Fortunately, you will begin to see extremely good behaviours as well as bad!

Pet Talk belongs to both young and old people who love their pets. As a 21 year old, sometimes I feel left out as I am considered to be neither, chronologically a changeling between childhood and adulthood. This seems to be irregardless of the fact that I have lived independantly for 3 years and pride myself on a mature outlook on life. Despite this, I am not going to stop coming here because ...

I'M ADDICTED

Why am I addicted? Because of all the lovely, wonderful people who are on Pet Talk! Just look at the threads about Bassett to see what a great community this is.

wolf_Q
08-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by bnormal

I don't agree with everything I read on this site. In fact, I think a few people on this site are absolute morons. But I would never tell them that. Why rub it in? It is not worth my energy so I just ignore them.

Ahh see you need to teach me NOT TO tell them....:o Actually I hold myself back quite a bit, otherwise I might be the one banned! :eek:

I go in PT posting sprees.....then I have those times where I read stuff...but it's like entirely too much effort to respond...which is what it is now. I think I've missed too much lately, I'm just now figuring out what's going on.

Anyhoo, as I'm missing the point of the thread.....I'm not sure if you want to lump me in the "young'uns" or "oldies" catagory, but I really wish we wouldn't have those at all. It's not a matter of age or how long you've been here, it's a matter of how you present yourself to the forum. You can be mature (and immature) at any age. As far as PT going downhill....I still love PT even when I'm ready to strangle people from PT. :) It's all about the pets...just think of the pets.....:D ;)

Kfamr
08-03-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Ahh see you need to teach me NOT TO tell them....:o Actually I hold myself back quite a bit, otherwise I might be the one banned! :eek:

Someone's gotta tell em. :p

jenluckenbach
08-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie

I know that the 'old' (not as in age, as in time spent at this board) members are very close, as well as the late night AIM group. That closeness is what makes this board great, and it's wonderful to see, but at the same time it makes it very very difficult for 'newbies', like myself, to make any kind of impression on this board. .......but to break into that close circle of 'oldies' it seems you have to be one of the originals.
And I don't know what else I'm supposed to do to be accepted by everyone.
Guess what, I have times when I feel this way too. When I read a thread about "who is your favorite pet talker?" (for example) I read all about those people that broke off into groups: The younger ones, the late night AIM ones.....etc....and I feel quite left out. But still, it is GOOD to have been able to find a group to relate to.
Since I have not even been posting on pet talk for a full year yet, I am not an OLD-timer, so maybe I missed a lot of what you say is gone. But I don't see anything GONE. Those things that I like about pet talk are still here.
I do have one wish though, that we could stop debating so much and get back to the PETS. the PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

neko1
08-03-2003, 08:09 AM
I agree with Jen:)

mugsy
08-03-2003, 08:20 AM
For me, and just me, Pet Talk is not as much fun as it used to be. There is far more "junk" to sift through. There are a couple of people on here that I will never speak to again for hurting me and Mike so badly. But, on the whole, most people on here are great. If we didn't think so, we would not drive 2 hours every 6 weeks to meet at the dog park. Those meetings are something we look forward to as soon as we leave the park. I love seeing the pictues of the dogs (sorry cat people, knowing that I am never on that side, I assume you know I mean you no disrespect;) ), hearing stories, etc. Just my opinion. Will I leave PT? No. Am I posting less? Yes. But, part of that is because I have, basically, 2 full time jobs.

neko1
08-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Smile!:)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p8a85959686ff44167bb448a239b62a8d/fd05e6ba.jpg

Pam
08-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie
See, this is the part that worries me. What do you mean by a "chat type" poster? Am I one, just because I use emoticons and am a teenager?

What I mean by that is that some threads are nothing but a bunch of people chit-chatting back and forth and usually about nothing remotely involving pets. As I have said before in another thread where this has been discussed (and overly discussed I think at this point) age is not the issue. The use of emoticons is not the issue. The issue is maturity. Some of the teens here are great contributors to this site and I would have never even known they were teens if not for them saying so.

Zanzanfergie just look at the post you wrote about this now. It is not a chat-type post. You are stating an opinion and it is well written and well thought out. I just get tired of the conversations that go back and forth that probably should be going on by PM or instant message instead of in a post. Hope I have explained myself. :)

Cookiebaker
08-03-2003, 08:32 AM
What really bothers me is when 2 people get into a personal conversation (that nobody else can even enter into) and takes over somebody else's thread. Private messages are wonderful things and where such conversations belong.

shais_mom
08-03-2003, 09:23 AM

I think the Thread was started by Sandra and it has been around as long as I have been. :D

Cataholic
08-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Pam and Cookiebaker- what I am wondering if more spcific examples would help emphasize your point, one I happen to concur with, btw. I am going to try, after first making an explanatory introduction (do I really talk like this???).

The old vs. the young....yuck, I know which category I belong in, too. This isn't a straight old v. young issue, but, one of maturity. BUT having said that, I think it is fair to say the ones that do the objected to posting, for the most part, are young. That raises the issue of 1) what is the objected to posting, and 2)who is objecting to it. I can only speak to what I think it objectionable postings, and TRY not to read into things...I am NOT singling out anyone, really. If you know anything about me at all by now, you know I will tell it to you directly if I am taking issue. I can use PCB as an example- she and I do not see feather to fur on some issues, but, she and I both know where we stand with one another. I used her as an example because I know she will not take offense with me for singling her out, and it won't start a war.

To me, objectionable posts-ones with absolutely no purpose, i.e., "I'm bored".

Ones that start a topic that has no less than five other recent threds on it already.

Seeing five, or even ten threds started by the same person in less than twenty minutes- it seems like it is a game...who can start more threds.

Threds that start with "I just want to apologize", or threds that have posts that read, "well, if I offended someone I am sorry....."

Posts that are nothing but inflammatory in nature- use vulgar language, etc.

Again, I recognize that what I consider objectionable may not be what you consider objectionable. But, majority rules, here, and in life. We have noise ordinances to keep neighbors from playing guitar at 2 am...admittably, the one playing the guitar doesn't see the problem. I think if you go back and look at General-Other, you can see a pattern of what might be called nonsensical threds. And, it is usally the younger set that starts them. While it isn't scientific, it is somewhat factual.

That takes us to 'who is objecting to the threds'. It seems like the older set is the one doing the objecting. I don't know if it is the members that have been here the longest or the older members. I am in the older members set, but, not the been here the longest set.

I think we need to come to some sort of agreement about what is objectionable. I am not saying we have the 'right' to do it...and that it can be easily clarified. But, everywhere there are rules. I think they belong here, too.

bnormal
08-03-2003, 09:44 AM
"We have noise ordinances to keep neighbors from playing guitar at 2 am"

Gee Cataholic, that hurt!

:D :D :D

Cataholic
08-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by bnormal
"We have noise ordinances to keep neighbors from playing guitar at 2 am"

Gee Cataholic, that hurt!

I should have said, "that play guitar POORLY at 2 am..."....he he he

bnormal
08-03-2003, 09:50 AM
"I should have said, "that play guitar POORLY at 2 am..."....he he he"

thank you;)

Freckles
08-04-2003, 11:22 AM
I'm staying here.

aly
08-04-2003, 11:33 AM
I haven't read all the replies on this thread, but here is my opinion..

I don't think Pet Talk is going downhill at all. I do think it is getting bigger and with that comes problems. There is no way to have a large community with absolutely no "bad eggs".

I am ready to move on from the lies. It won't stop me from trusting other people, but I may be more cautious before I let my emotions feel so strongly again over something online.

BIG HUGS to you all :)

Soledad
08-04-2003, 11:38 AM
It seems to me that the idea that PT is going downhill or is "not what it used to be" gets floated regularly. :rolleyes:

catland
08-04-2003, 11:47 AM
For newbies - the best way to get a friend is to be a friend. Compliment people on their cute pets. We're all suckers for that:) Ask questions about your pet - a bunch of us are know-it-alls that love to give advice.

Talk about your pets - we love to listen. That's how we ultimately identify with you.

Soon you'll start to recognize the names of the people who you find fun to read. Read those posts. You don't have to comment on every single one, but comment once in a while just to get your name out there.

Once you've established yourself as a presence - feel free to become more outspoken if that is your style - but you may want to visit the Doghouse for that.

Don't take it personally! When someone makes a comment about something - don't assume that they are talking about you - they may be talking about someone else.

and have fun. You know you're a PT member when one or more of your wonderful pets does something cute and you think to yourself "I can't wait to tell the people of PT about this.

:) "

(ps - hey Cataholic - was I asleep the week they tried to run you out on a rail?)

Cookiebaker
08-04-2003, 12:43 PM
I don't think it is either!!! :)

iceyshiver21
08-04-2003, 01:02 PM
I dont think pettalks going do hill. But I do think some peoples patients are running thin, towards the newbies.

Karen
08-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by catland

(ps - hey Cataholic - was I asleep the week they tried to run you out on a rail?)

I think she's talking about someone deciding there'd be no need for lawyers in PetTalkville!

Barbara
08-04-2003, 01:12 PM
I don't think PT is going downhill. We are many people here and so not everyone is everyone's closest friend. I have noticed that most people I became closer to were my age but I do not know the age of all my special friends.

As in any bigger group (at the office, at the university) you'll meet people whom you like more and others which you don't meet so often.
But if I compare to the office e.g. I find that with any person here I have one thing in common: we love our pets and the pets of all the others. And this leads us to helping each other: Look at Bassett - we all can be proud of that.

And now Jessica: I think it is incredible how much compassion and help started from that. It showed how many compassionate and caring persons can be found here. It was a bad cause -as it was a hoax- but what came out of it was good!!! Compassion is never wasted.

I had dreamed that after a certain time, even Jessica could have been a member of this forum again. I am still convinced that she was a mixed-up teenager who was scared after she saw what she did to us.

But we who stay here should look at the great things we have achieved together -like the frito fun or Bassett's surgery- and ignore the rest.

I am glad that I am not interested in ALL the threads -my day would need 48 hours then.:D

PayItForward
08-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by PJ's Mom
Keep members from regestering if their IP address matches that of another member. (Members can only register one user name)

Steve & I share an IP address and I bet many other couples on PT also have two logins for one IP address.
But I agree the jist, which is there should only be one login name per person. Why would anyone need two names, unless they want to cause mischief.:eek:

ramanth
08-04-2003, 02:22 PM
I think the fur kids would rebel if I left Pet Talk. ;) :D

You don't want to make Kia mad.

http://kia.cutestsandgirl.com/images/crazykia.jpg

:eek: ;) :D

moosmom
08-04-2003, 05:04 PM
Kim,

That picture is a HOOT!!!! I think we've all learned a valuable lesson in everything here. The lesson is when the going gets tough, everyone here pulls together.

I myself, am very pround to be a member of such a great community. I have met MANY wonderful friends who got me through alot since my move to Michigan (a year ago next month, can you believe it???). Why else would I go hang out at a dog park with a bazillion dogs in sub-zero temperature??? - EEEEWWWWWW!! (Just kidding :) )

I'm staying put.