PDA

View Full Version : How do your kitties beg??

Cookiebaker
08-01-2003, 09:07 PM
The other night we were eating dinner, and Marigold came to investigate. We were having grilled chicken and I guess she thought it smelled yummy, too. She came next to me, sniffing up into the air, and gently put first one paw up on my leg, and then both paws. I ignored her, and she started nudging her head into my arm. I still ignored her, and she started pacing around in circles around the table leg softly yowling.

She was *so* very cute, that in the end, I gave her one teeny weeny piece of chicken.

So that got me wondering...do your kitties beg?? If so, how do they try and get your attention?? And do you give in to them?

In_love_with_cats
08-01-2003, 09:25 PM
I have three cats and only one that really bugs for are food. Toby loves yogurt and ice cream. To get are attention, he jumps on are lap and almost knocks us over. By the way, yes Sabrina begs for lunch meat and she can eat alot too. Of course, we spoil them by giving humane food but they don't get too much. Only a little bit.

cubby31682
08-01-2003, 09:37 PM
When hubby gets home I always make him dinner. Corey (my hubby) always eats in the living room on the couch, Cubby rubs his head on Corey's feet trying to get some food out of him. With me while I'm eating Cubby will start to cry and bite my let or what ever he can reach. After hubby and I both eat we set our plates on the floor for Cubby. There is never much left on the plate so he doesn't get that much.

shais_mom
08-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Kylie doesn't beg usually for food just her treats. But she sometimes just comes up to me and puts her paws on my legs and MEOWS LOUDLY. When I am eating ice cream, she jumps up on my lap and sticks her head in my dish :rolleyes:

carole
08-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Ash is quite persistent especially if chicken is involved, he will jump up on the spare dining chair and wait patiently, however I make him go down, and I always give him some nice titbits, Lexie really is not bothered , she has impeccable manners.

One thing I have noticed if I have a nice bit of food in my hand to give Lexie she will put her paw out and grab it, along with m finger ouch., whereas Ash will stand up and beg, funny how they are all different.

boscibo
08-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Hanna is the worst beggar ever! Whenever I'm in the kitchen she walks back and forth and squeaks at me - "Mew, mew, mew" the whole time, and tries to trip me. Even if I'm just making a salad, she doesn't like vegetables, but she thinks she wants them.

If I am eating in front of the computer, she sometimes jumps up and she will just dig in if I let her. Usually if it is soething she wants, I'll give her a little bit. If I don't give her anything, she'll be a good girl and leave me alone.

Bo is a beggar too, but he isn't as pushy. He'll wait patiently and usually get a bite.

Abby never begs, ever. She is such a little lady, but the truth is she won't eat anything except dry cat food.

cubby31682
08-02-2003, 01:01 AM
Cubby loves salads!

Fox-Gal
08-02-2003, 01:47 AM
Trouble's way of begging......
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/p620924e20756955cb43b6d879c8099a8/fbf5e1e0.jpg

And if you turn your eyes away for a second....she very quickly paws it off the plate. She has it mastered to perfection. As her sister sits on the floor very nicely....waiting. So of course we have to give her a treat. Good maners should be rewarded. :)

PayItForward
08-02-2003, 06:00 AM
George and the kits love buttered toast. George sits on the floor in front of me and cocks his head to the side, silently pleading with me. The kits just jump on my knee and try and eat the toast from my plate or hand/mouth. Rude Kits.:p

Bramble has a thing for dairy products, she goes insane for cheese esp. soft cream cheese or icecream (another head in the bowl form of begging) or yoguart. Silly Kitty.

jenluckenbach
08-02-2003, 06:13 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/p769f586083df95c48aeb75afa0f3f93b/fcb209d2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p3945fb84fe85d34621b8d77ccbaac7a3/fc908dc2.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/p5b7e521483effce07be4426f31354a33/fcb5dc2f.jpg

smokey the elder
08-02-2003, 07:56 AM
My former foster Mittens would sit up and beg for Cheddar cheese! Mobius will sit on the arm of the couch and s-l-o-w-l-y stretch out her paw and poke at my dish. She usually gets a sample, as long is it's OK for kitties. She's upset that ribs are *not for kitties.*;) :p

krazyaboutkatz
08-02-2003, 07:58 PM
Storm is the begger in the house. He thinks he wants whatever I'm eating. He'll start meowing and if I'm standing up he'll try to reach for the food. :) Sunny likes dairy products and will meow very loudly for them. Cirrus will meow but then he realises that he doesn't like the food and he'll back off. Sky doesn't seem to beg very much. He'd rather eat his dry cat food. I try not to give them any people food but will occasionally. :)

Cataholic
08-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Six cats. Minnie never begs. Tenny and Georgia will wait, patiently, then walk away. Ally isn't interested in people food. Dakky stares at me and makes this sad cry, but won't eat much at all. None of them care for people food, except sometimes.

TEX is AWFUL. HORRIBLE. AWFUL. He not only begs, he steals, too. He inches over, like I can't see a black bean pole moving across a wood table? He just leans over and starts eating. He had a piece of steak the size of Binx's head in his mouth last week. What was he going to do with it, spend an three hours knawing on it? He does know when I am at my wits end, and I start screaming at him. He slinks away, behind me, and comes up on my other side. I usually share dinner with him. I cut the stuff up small, and put it on the edge of my plate, and we eat in companionable silence.

That which doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.

tuxluvr
08-02-2003, 09:51 PM
Ritz doesn't beg for food (we have been pretty good about avoiding the temptation to give her human food - she has a special dietary need due to her prior bladder issues)...BUT

She does BEG FOR PLAY. She will come up to me in my office and drop a mouse in front of me, or bring one into the living room and jump on the foot stool, then drop it and bat it toward me until I relent and join in the "get mousie" game.

LIke I've always said, I've never been sure how Ritzy's training is coming along, but OUR training is progressing nicely! :rolleyes:

RICHARD
08-02-2003, 10:15 PM
beg????

my cat DOES NOT BEG......he demands!!!

;)

Miss Meow
08-03-2003, 01:03 AM
Beg? What's that? Ours just jump on the dining table and stick their heads in the plates and bowls to see what they're missing :rolleyes: It's OK if we don't have visitors at the time :)

Cataholic
08-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Miss Meow,
That reminded me of my dinner last week with my mom. We were having salmon salad, and the salmom was being kept away from the table cause of the temptation for the kitties. So, we are talking in the kitchen, getting ready to sit down, and look over at the table to see her faded creamsicle Washy with his head IN the bowl of salad greens, munching!!! Plain salad greens. Just like a horse with his head in the feed bag!!

Of course, we just sat and watched cause it was so funny. Had 'real' people been there, we would have gone into threatre mood, 'Oh my! Mom! The cat! Quick! Now we have to wash the greens again! OH, I have never seen him do that before!".

Fortunately, it was just us, and away we ate...he he he...

Miss Meow
08-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Miss Meow,
That reminded me of my dinner last week with my mom. We were having salmon salad, and the salmom was being kept away from the table cause of the temptation for the kitties. So, we are talking in the kitchen, getting ready to sit down, and look over at the table to see her faded creamsicle Washy with his head IN the bowl of salad greens, munching!!! Plain salad greens. Just like a horse with his head in the feed bag!!

LOL!!! And all that time you were protecting the salmon from them :)

jazzcat
08-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Ripley has excellent table manners and will wait for you to offer him some food. Since ice cream is all he really likes he usually walks off offended if you offer him something else.

Jazz is in your face until she knows what you have. If it's milk, cheese or any type of meat she will practically steal it from you. I've lost many a glass of milk due to her paw dipping in it for a taste.

Scout has only been here a couple of weeks but so far she loves all people food and is slowly learning a few manners but she will beg and bug you to death for a bite.

Jazzcat

RedHedd
08-04-2003, 10:53 AM
Fox-Gal your Trouble looks a lot like my Mitzi -- that half black, half gold nosie! Too cute! My two don't usually beg, although Mitzi thinks she wants what I'm having and will squeak at me and sometimes paw at my leg. Mishi just boldly stretches up to my cereal bowl in the morning and starts lapping up the soy milk. I will post a pic later -- had a digicam "accident" yesterday and erased the pics before I could upload them! ARRGH!

Lerah021399
08-04-2003, 11:07 AM
Both of my cats beg, but in different ways. Ali is very polite about her begging: she'll sit at your feet and just look at you as if to say, "Are you going to let me have some of that?" Jack on the other hand is a very rude beggar. He is all about being up in your face smelling what you have to eat. He once jumped right in the middle of my dinner plate. He's funny though, he doesn't usually like what we have to eat, he just wants to smell it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
beg????
my cat DOES NOT BEG......he demands!!!
;)

Aahhh...Richard. I see you've meet Tubby! ;) :D

Tubby is very vocal when he begs, and very up-front and in your face. Peanut just stands a little bit back and lets Tubby do all the work knowing she won't be left out when the handouts start. ;) :rolleyes: :D

This is what we get for kitty company every night when we eat.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p9b31a382873cc14968af35118838a497/fb7b9d06.jpg

Tubby sits so close you think he'd get a sore neck! :rolleyes:

And to think.....way back when, when it was just me and Tubby, I taught him to stay out of the kitchen while I was cooking and eating. He learned quickly and would sit right at the very, very edge of the kitchen - as close as he could inch in without me telling him to get back out. I absolutely did not want a beggar kitty. Well....all that went to he.. in a hand basket when Tubby stayed with my parents while I made a temporary move to Florida. "Grandma" just couldn't resist with the handouts, and I now have a professional beggar on my hands. :rolleyes: