PDA

View Full Version : What kind of digi camera do you have?

NoahsMommy
07-31-2003, 03:48 PM
We are getting a new digital camera this month and I wanted to see what everyone had and what they thought of them.

Also, if you've heard of a good one, mind telling me about it?

Thank you!! :)

wolfsoul
07-31-2003, 03:57 PM
Congrats! :) I hope you find a good one!

All I can say is on't get the kind I have LOL. I have a Blue Jamcam 3.0, and it sucks. :( :o

Tina
07-31-2003, 04:02 PM
We have a Olympus Camedia D-100 Digital Camera. We've had it about 2 years now. And we like it. I want to get another one maybe later on. But it will be another Olympus if so. Our's is just a 1.3 megapixel. I'd like to have one that least as 2 or more megapixel's.

Rob's parents just bought one too and they got a Olympus. It has 2 megapixels its really nice. It is faster then ours at taken pictures.

And the best part is you can buy different memory cards for them. We just bought one for our's and it holds up to 1200 pictures.:)

popcornbird
07-31-2003, 04:13 PM
We have a Sony and LOVE it! You can buy different memory cards for the Sony too, and it takes wonderful pics. They have much better ones out in the market now, but if we ever get a better, more expensive one, Sony's the way to go.

boscibo
07-31-2003, 04:20 PM
I have two - a Sony Mavica FD-91 that is a few years old, but I keep it because I like the 14x zoom. It takes floppies, which are quickly going out of style, but the Mavicas are good beginner's cameras, super easy to use and transfer pictures. It is also a HUGE camera, so I got a Sony DSC-S85. I love this camera, it is 4.1 MP and takes great closeup macros and the extra pixels help.

I would love to get a Sony DSC-F717 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/f717.html), but that is a larger camera. I have been thinking about a Sony DSC-V1 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/v1.html) too, 5.0 Megapixel, but I'm still pretty happy with my S85.

Kona & Oreo's mom
07-31-2003, 04:21 PM
I have a Canon PowerShot A60 and I love it. It is easy to use and lightweight. It has a great zoom, too, and macro function for extreme close-ups. It is 2 megapixel, but the new Canons are known for giving quality higher than the number suggests. It uses a compact flash card for the memory. It came with a 16 MB card, but I bought a larger one for about $30 that fits 225 pictures on one card! Last year's model (the A40) is the camera Consumer Reports chose as a best value ($250).

Three people at my work also have this model (we all shared the Consumer Reports issue!), and everyone loves it. Good luck shopping!

binka_nugget
07-31-2003, 04:23 PM
I have the same one as Jordan, the jamcam 3.0. Stay away from it..although I don't think they sell them anymore.

I've been using my cousin's digicam for the past few days. I really like it. It's the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-P31 and 2 megapixels. It's not so great without flash though but with flash the pictures are great. The only thing I don't like is the fact that when I record a movie, it doesn't have sound. But even the movies are good quality.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-31-2003, 04:45 PM
I've got the Canon S400. And as you know, it takes great pics, closeups and up to 3 minutes worth of video with sound. It was about $450.00 though, so kind of expensive, but I absolutely love it! If something happened to this one I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

But my main reason for replying was because I was talking to someone who is really into cameras, photo software, pics online, etc. And he said that for general consumer usage, 2.0 megapixels are just fine and there is no way anyone except a professional photographer would need 5.0 or more. I just wanted to get this out there because when you go to someplace like best buy, they always try and tell you that 2.0 is no good and you absolutely must have the newest latest 5.0....that is also the most expensive. He personally has a 2.0 that he uses all the time and a 4.0 that he uses when he wants to do more things with it with the software - he has the full blown Photoshop, and uses it like a whiz! :eek:

So for what it's worth, you can save yourself some money by not going with the newest latest hottest craze of more pixels is better. I chose my camera because I like the small, compact size of it, and because of the 3 minutes worth of video with sound. My brother has the next one down the S300 (?). Basically the same camera with video with sound, just not 3 minutes worth. I liked his so much I went out and bought mine.

I have friends who have the A60 and is there an A40? and they love them too. I really think Canon makes an excellent camera. The only thing mine doesn't do that I would like it to is put the date on the picture on the computer screen. There is an option to add it if I print the picture, but not just to show it on the screen.

Good luck and I can't wait to see the results once you get it! ;) :D

Miss Meow
07-31-2003, 04:56 PM
I've had a Canon G2 for more than a year and still love it. Apparently the newer ones are even better. KAK has the same camera, too :)

dukedogsmom
07-31-2003, 08:46 PM
I just got this one: http://www.buy.com/clickfrom/emailafriend.asp?sUrl=http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=70010228&loc=15638
I know it'sa good one because my sister in law has it. It's refurbished but comes with a good warranty and it's only $134!

tikeyas_mom
07-31-2003, 09:04 PM
I have a stupid webcam and I donot recomend it at all. get a good digital camra, and love it to death for me :D/ :p

krazyaboutkatz
07-31-2003, 10:31 PM
Yes, as Miss Meow said I have a Canon Power Shot G2. I love it. :D It was kind of expensive and is a 4.0 but it's well worth it. It's also a very sturdy camera too. Miss Meow told me about it and I liked the way her pics came out so I had to buy one. :D Good luck with your digi cam search. :)

AmberLee
07-31-2003, 10:57 PM
I'm a not sure which features to look for in a camera -- would you mind saying what your favorite feature is in your camera and which feature you don't like and why?

*blush* :o My two biggest reasons not to buy yet are 1) being confused over the complexity of the features/cost ratio and 2) this sounds SO LAME -- whenever I have a camera I seem to drop it. It's not that big a deal with one of those little cheap-o disposables, but I CRINGE at the idea of doing my clumsy stunt with an expensive piece of gear.

Which of them (if any) are clutz proof?

Kfamr
07-31-2003, 11:20 PM
I have a Canon PowerShot A60 as well, someone mentioned it. It has great options (a few i'm still finding out!) and even have video record.

My old camera which I LOVED way better than my new one was a FujiFilm FinePix 1300. I know a few Pet Talkers had bought one after I had got mine... Leslie(AdoreMyDogs) has one! :) She said she loves it, as well as I did.

I only got a newer one because I wanted to Recording option.

Both of my cameras were farely low price, both were under $300.

The Cat Factory
07-31-2003, 11:25 PM
I have a Kodak DC240 with a 20 MB memory card...it's OK for taking indoor pictures, but if you take outdoor pics they suck :)

Kfamr
07-31-2003, 11:37 PM
I want to suggest you this camera: OLYMPUS C740 DIGITAL CAMERA (http://www.infinitycameras.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=3699) .

My friend Brian has it and it takes awesome photos. Close and far away.

If you don't mind, I'm going to post a few pictures of his.

His reflection in a window, I love this one.
http://www.cascadenscale.org/Evergreen/files/P7280194.jpg
http://www.cascadenscale.org/Evergreen/files/P7280301.jpg
http://www.cascadenscale.org/Evergreen/files/P7260047.jpg

I could post more if you'd like.

boscibo
07-31-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by AmberLee
I'm a not sure which features to look for in a camera -- would you mind saying what your favorite feature is in your camera and which feature you don't like and why?

I can't help you with the clutz part - I've dropped mine once but it was OK.

What I like about Sony cameras is the batteries they use. They are Infolithium batteries and they last a long time. With my camera fully charged I can shoot all day without having to worry about my batteries going dead. I shut the camera off between shots to save power, but some digital cameras can go through a set of batteries after 10-20 shots, that would be a hassle.

I like a smaller camera. My Mavica is so big (the lens is huge) and it is no fun to carry around.

I like the fact that my camera takes good pictures in the automatic mode, but if I want I can switch to manual and get full control over focus, shutter and aperature.

I like the recording mode, I can record small movies for as long as my memory stick can hold, with sound, but honestly I don't use that feature very often.

I like using the memory sticks, but some people don't like them because they can be more expensive than other storage media. But I waited and when I found a good deal (128 MB for $30, with rebates) I jumped on ot and got most of my memory sticks very cheap.

What kind of camera you buy depends on what you plan to do with the pictures - if you want to print out larger prints, like 8"x10", you will want a larger Megapixel camera. My 4.1 MP prints out great 8"x10"s. If you only plan to use your pictures on websites or in emails, the extra pixels will be wasted, as you will need to size down for those purposes.

Overall, I would say do your research -
Steve's Digicams (http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm) is a good place, also DPreveiw (http://www.dpreview.com/) is another good place.

Spend some money and get a decent digital camera - I have seen so many people turned off by digital cameras because they bought the cheapest one they could find and were disappointed when the pictures look bad. One thing to remember about digital cameras is by design they are not good in low light situations, and people who are used to taking pictures indoors are often disappointed when they start taking indoor pictures with digitals - they get grainy, dark pictures and often that is just the nature of digital cameras. The trick is to shoot in the most light you can, turn on all the room lights even if it is the middle of the day, open curtains, shoot by the windows.

Kfamr
07-31-2003, 11:49 PM
I use rechargable batteries and they last for almost two or so days. :)

NoahsMommy
08-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. :)

Anyone have an opinion on Olympus vs. Sony??

Kfamr
08-01-2003, 04:51 PM
I already told you my opinion of the Sony on AIM. :)

jenfer
08-01-2003, 07:25 PM
I have a Olympus Camedia D550. I am not too picky, and this one is pretty good. :)

ILoveReptiles
08-01-2003, 07:59 PM
If you really want a digital camera that's rated as one of the best out there, the Nikon Coolpix 5700 is it. I just got mine and I shopped around for a while comparing features and price.

While the Coolpix 5700 is a bit pricey, (around 800-900.00), it's a 5 megapixel camera, with an 8x optical zoom. Zoom is pretty important. The Olympus models all came up short in that area, and I was dissappointed. All in all I've only had the camera about 2 days now but my old digicam was an Olympus D600L, and I've got a 6-in-1 media reader on the way for the new camera.

So far I LOVE it. Here's a picture I took with it.. (It's my Blue Hawaiian that my boyfreind was sweet enough to make for me when I came home from work)... As you can see the quality and detail are quite good. Granted I haven't gotten my tripod yet and my hands aren't the most steady...

http://www.caicos.org/linkedpics/bluehawaiian.jpg

cloverfdx
08-11-2003, 10:48 AM
i have a kodak EasyShare CX4200, 2.0 MP and would not recomend it at all (in other words it is CRAP) it is very slow in taking pics so no good for action shots :mad:

i am looking to upgrade at the moment (going into the city later today so hopefuly i will find somthing suitable) im going to check out the CanonA70 and see how much they are going to charge and also a few others

good luck in your search, oh and i also dont recomend anything less than 2.0 MP

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-11-2003, 01:59 PM
I have a Casio Exilim. It's wonderful It takes good quality pictures and is tiny!! It is the size of a credit card!!

Click Here For More Info! (http://exilim.casio.com/)

http://exilim.casio.com/images/s2_mainpage.jpg

primabella
08-11-2003, 02:06 PM
We have the Olympus Camedia D-560. It has 3.2 megapixels and I love it. It takes nice pictures and silent, short films. I'm not sure how much we paid for it because it was on sale and then my dad bought extra stuff like more batteries, a recharger ect...Anyways, good luck Hehe :D

Uabassoon
08-11-2003, 04:08 PM
I have the worst digicam ever, but for the price I can't really complain. It's a Bell + Howell, I got it at target for around $30. As you've all seen it doesn't take great pictures, sometimes with perfect lighting I can get a pretty good picture. But like I said for only $30 it works.

CamCamPup33
08-11-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Tina
We have a Olympus Camedia D-100 Digital Camera. We've had it about 2 years now. And we like it. I want to get another one maybe later on. But it will be another Olympus if so. Our's is just a 1.3 megapixel. I'd like to have one that least as 2 or more megapixel's.

Rob's parents just bought one too and they got a Olympus. It has 2 megapixels its really nice. It is faster then ours at taken pictures.

And the best part is you can buy different memory cards for them. We just bought one for our's and it holds up to 1200 pictures.:)

We have an olympus camedia too.. Im not sure how many megapixels it has but its a really high quality one.. my dad got it for my mom on christmas.. i love it.. hehe its gonna be mine when my mom gets a new one.. she says its too confusing. .:D :D

GoldenRetrLuver
09-16-2003, 07:11 PM
I have a Canon PowerShot A70. It has 3.2 megapixels, and takes excellent pictures. I LOVE it! It's sooo easy to use and downloading the pictures is a breeze! I highly recommend it. :)

captain
09-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by boscibo

I would love to get a Sony DSC-F717 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/f717.html),

We HAVE that camera - it is really good. It takes videos too - which is great. I took some great pics with it on holiday (yes, yes, I still have to POST them up !!!)

We also have a Fuji FinePix - which is a 3megapixel - and a great, easy to use camera.

Both of ours are not the small digital cameras ....... some of them are realy good too. Depends what size you want really .... but I can happily recommend either one of ours.

slleipnir
09-16-2003, 07:16 PM
I have a kodak DC3400. I like it, takes good pics if you set it right lol. I also have a Canon Optura 10 digi camcorder..it also acts as a digi cam though and takes still pics. It's also good :D

binka_nugget
09-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Since I've last posted here, I went out and bought the Canon A60. I LOVE this cam. It's easy to use (after a bit of reading) and the picture quality is great. The thing I love most is the macro feature. I've never seen one that takes great close-ups like this one does. The only I kind of don't like is that it takes a second or two to take the pic after pressing the shutter button.

Kfamr
09-16-2003, 07:37 PM
We need to figure out if there's anyone to make it faster.... I'm not about to actually READ the manual though! :rolleyes: :eek:

binka_nugget
09-16-2003, 07:56 PM
lmao me too! I just figured everything for myself..I dont' feel like straining my eyes lol

slleipnir
09-16-2003, 08:05 PM
Make chip with instructions and insert it into your head to transfer data..you instintly know everything..