PDA

View Full Version : Cat bath advice please

Lorraine
07-31-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone! I am still happy as a clam(where that expression ever came from,I have no idea?!) that I am back again to my FAVORITE place on the net PT!! Now that I have collected myself,:o , I need some advice about giving cats baths.
I have never given Sammy or Romeo a real bath before.
The first day I brought Sammy home, he decided to roll in his litter box, after he took a poop:eek: , so of course I immediatley took him to the sink, where I hosed him down,lathered him up, and he was nice and clean.which was better anyway, because he was Very STINKY when he came home with me.
Romeo never had water poured on him, he just would get wiped down with those kitty bath wipes,or I would just hosedown his backside under the water,when he was sick. (I mean the kitchen faucet sprayer, when I say "hosed down!") lol

I am sure it would be good for them to have a nice bath, but I worry about them getting a chill, or scratching my face off or something. On the other hand, I'm sure it would be good for their skin, and coat! Should I get real cat shampoo, or use mine?
I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!!
BTW, I am keeping this thread on the down-low, I am sure Sammy &Romeo would freak-out if they knew what I was asking about!!:p ;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-31-2003, 02:39 PM
How easy the task will be depends very much on the individual animal. Some take it quite well others (like Ally) howl like they are being murdered and fight TOOTH and CLAW (literally) to get away.

Due to this I dont really bath Ally much, unless she has something GROSS in her fur, or occasionally if she is shedding way too much....but here are a couple of tips:

Only use cat shampoo

I dilute the shampoo in warm water in a jug first - it is easier to pour over and get even coverage, and it lathers up quicker too

Make sure they can't get to the litter box (or outside) until they are TOTALLY dry,

and last but not least...... clip their nails before hand - no sense in making it more painfull than it need be.

Good luck - and try have someone handy to take a couple of photos!!!

RICHARD
07-31-2003, 03:01 PM
lol.....

just don't use your favorite beach towel to dry them off, they may take a liking to it!

catland
07-31-2003, 04:05 PM
If possible, have a second person there to help.

Have all of your stuff lined up and ready to go - the shampoo, the towels - bandaids for yourself:p

Make sure the water isn't too hot or too cold.

Talk to your kitty in a soothing voice but hold him firmly. Show any sign of weakness and you are done for.

BastetsMum
07-31-2003, 04:31 PM
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/bathing.htm

I don't think I need to say anymore ... :D :D

wolfsoul
07-31-2003, 04:42 PM
My cat, Sara, HATES baths. So I have to be mighty quick.

I use cat shampoo. First I fill the bath tub so that atleast her tummy can get wet. Then (keeping a firm hold on her scruff lest she escape), I take a cup and pour water all over her back and shoulders. I part the fur on her tummy, and make sure it gets all wet. And I grab a huge amount of shampoo and lather all over, very quicky (as she tried springing from my grasp of course). I pour more water on to wash her off. Then I let go. This is the part where all the towels on the floor come in handy. A long haired wet cat running loose tends to wreak havoc. I chase her around with the blow dryer for a while, lol, wring her fur out good, then let her into my room. I leave her in there for a while, ecouraging her to dry, than I open my window and ket her decide for herself if it's too cold to go out. Most times, she doesn't care, just says "Get me the Heck out of here!!!" lol

moosmom
07-31-2003, 05:23 PM
From my own personal experience, I find the best way to bathe my cats is to get into the bathtub with them. Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds gross, but it's really not.

I put about 3 inches of water in the tub. I put the cat in front of me, facing away from me. That gives you ALOT more control over the cat. Use a cup to wet the cat. Lather, rinse and towel dry!! :D :D :D

RedHedd
07-31-2003, 05:28 PM
I let the pros do it. The hard part is getting the cats into the carriers. :rolleyes: