PDA

View Full Version : Flouride in the water

wolfsoul
07-31-2003, 01:07 AM
I think having flouride in the water is pointless. Studies show that places that don't have flouridated water have the exact same rate of tooth decay as people whos' cities do have flouridated water.

Flouride is also not reccomended for pets, and it is found in lots of other foods. Dentists put flouride on your teeth. And it can also have bad affects if it is consumed too much. I read that if you have to much it can actually make your bones more brittle rather than stronger. And you know those annoying white spots on your teeth? My friend has those and my dentist says it's from too much flouride from the water.

I can't think of any Pros to flouridated water. That's just my opinion...:confused:

What do you think? Do you agree with flouridated water?

Kfamr
07-31-2003, 06:04 AM
I though the white spots are from a calcium deficiency?:confused:

catland
07-31-2003, 10:21 AM
I did not grow up with fluoridated water. Also, the water here has very few minerals (its some of the best tasting water here in the states). Anyway, back to the fluoridated issue - I've had like a zillion cavities and have spent $$$$$ on dentists so yea, I wish I had had fluoridated water when I was a kid.:(

slick
07-31-2003, 01:24 PM
Don't know about water but all through my childhood years my Mom had us put a few drops of liquid flouride in each glass of milk every day.

To this day our family has the strongest teeth ever. Can't see worth a darn because of weak eyes, but boy can we chew......

binka_nugget
07-31-2003, 04:34 PM
I saw something about "doggie water" on the news the other day. My first thought was a bad one because just like you said, isn't it bad to consume the flouride at the dentist? I just went the other day and they made sure maybe 5 or 6 times that I had most of the flouride out before I went home.

wolfsoul
07-31-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I saw something about "doggie water" on the news the other day. My first thought was a bad one because just like you said, isn't it bad to consume the flouride at the dentist? I just went the other day and they made sure maybe 5 or 6 times that I had most of the flouride out before I went home.

Yes, that's true. Flouride can actually poison you. My dentist had to wait until this year to give me the flouride mouthwash instead of the things you bite down on, that's how serious it is. She didn't consider that I was old enough when I was 14 :rolleyes:

Airedalekisses
07-31-2003, 10:12 PM
We had to switch to bottled water- the 'dales got sore tummies when they drank tap water-maybe it was all of the other junk they put in water to purify it. I just know after they tasted the bottled stuff-they turned up their big noses at tap water. Oh, it wasn't Evian, by the way.

Tonya
08-05-2003, 01:36 AM
I am 25, my brothers are almost 21 and almost 19. None of us have ever had a single cavity. We were all on flouride pills as kids. My 21 year old brother has spots on his teeth, but I think that's cause he didn't take care of his teeth when he had braces.

wolfsoul
08-05-2003, 01:56 AM
I still don't like it. Go to this site. It's shocking what you'll read about fluoride.

http://www.holisticmed.com/fluoride/

Tonya
08-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Have u ever read about vaccinations, wolfsoul? Or about the additives and dyes in our food? It's unbelievable how much extra crap we put into our bodies these days. Then we wonder why there are so many more cases of cancer, add, autism, etc...

wolfsoul
08-05-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
Have u ever read about vaccinations, wolfsoul? Or about the additives and dyes in our food? It's unbelievable how much extra crap we put into our bodies these days. Then we wonder why there are so many more cases of cancer, add, autism, etc...

Yes, and I think it's discusting. :(

I was reading an article the other day about how they put carmine --- a juice found in female beetles --- into pops, yogurts, and some other things.

And then how hair --- from factories in China where actual people sell their hair --- is used to make breads and other pastries softer.

It's so gross. And don't even get me started on the pet food....grrr...

Airedalekisses
08-06-2003, 11:59 AM
I know-food additives yuck-ever see the words chicken digest on a bag of food-well not to make you ill;but that's the stuff that's in the chicken's tummy when it's slaughtered. Oh, and another good one is protein additive-it's ground feathers! They feed ground feathers to cattle-all in the name of money! !