PDA

View Full Version : Whale Rider

babolaypo65
07-30-2003, 11:25 PM
Has anyone seen Whale Rider? I saw it today with some friends and their kids. GREAT movie.
I recommend it.

carole
07-30-2003, 11:27 PM
I am really glad you brought this film up , because it was made in my country , the actor's are from New Zealand as well, I actually have not seen it yet myself, but I heard it had rave reviews in L.A.

Tell me what you liked about it most?

babolaypo65
07-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Oooh, hard to say what I liked most. The actors were all great, and the story was well told. I thought it did a good job of portraying the culture as well. Didn't dumb it down, or make it about cliches.

lizbud
07-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Soledad tipped us off about this movie back in Feburary with
this post;

Soledad
Pillar

Wellington, NZ & Minneapolis
WhaleRider
My husband and I just saw a great movie called Whale Rider. It's a New Zealand film that has been winning awards like mad. It cleaned up at Sundance, and it's really worth the watch.

It's a great story about a young Maori girl that will definitely touch you. I recommend that you take the opportunity to see it. Although, it will most likely not show at mainstream theaters. Check some of the 'alternative theaters' around to see if they're showing it. It's worth the extra effort.

It also made me very proud of NZ.

I've never seen it being shown anywhere around here, but it
might be on video. I would like to see it.

lizbud
07-31-2003, 09:40 PM
Hey, this flash site still works.:) You can see parts of the movie.

http://www.whaleriderthemovie.com

It has a flash site with movie trailers & music.Sounds like a
great picture & story. It received rave reviews & awards.

carole
07-31-2003, 09:40 PM
Whale Rider is currently showing in my local theatre, but its the last few days, I should go and see it really, since it is a film as a New Zealander I should be proud of.

allanimalswelcome
07-31-2003, 09:45 PM
In case you didn't know,

I am crazy about marine mammals especially whales so when my dad said we were going to see it I was excited.

Well it was a good movie I suppose but I was really there to see the whale scenes and the movie barely had any.

But I agree it was pretty good.

~Rachel