PDA

View Full Version : How many have had to put a pet to sleep, or take it to the pound

puppygrrl4eva7
07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
How many of you PTers have either put your pet to sleep or have had to take it to the pound? I don't want this to turn into a mean debate because no one here knows everyones circumstances.....

puppygrrl4eva7
07-30-2003, 10:37 AM
A few years ago we rescued a Labrador from a lab rescue orginization, but after about 2 years of owning her, she was put on 3 medications from the vet, and they made her have terrible bladder problems and she had tons of accidents everywhere, she was just too much to handle for our family at the time, and no one had the time to pitch in to care for her, one day my mom took Jessie to the Humaine society:( I miss her though and I wish we still had her, and I feel so bad that we took her to the pound like I'm a disgrace to pet talk. But in my future I hope I never have to take an animal to the pound:(

apcrs5122
07-30-2003, 11:26 AM
Our old dog Luther had cancer very, very badly, so he couldn't walk or eat very well. We put him to sleep because it was the best thing for him, instead of letting him suffer.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-30-2003, 11:37 AM
One day when I came home from school, I found my old Dachshund, Todo just lyng on the patio. We tryed to pick him up to see if he could walk, but everytime he would just flop over. :( So right then and there we hurried him to the vet. They told us to go home and get some rest and they would call us with whatever results they had. Well, a couple hours later we got a call from them. He had a "slipped disk". They could have done surgery on him, but there was a 20% chance it would work, otherwise he would spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. So, we chose to put him down. :( So, we went to the vet to say our last goodbyes. I brought him down and just started petting him. Then he gave me "the look" and I knew it was time. I'm always going to miss him. :(

Then one day as my mom and I were driving home from the market, and we pulled into our driveway. On the porch what we saw will haunt me forever. My cat, Babs was getting attacked by a Chow Chow. There was a lady there also. She just stood there and watched it happened. :mad: I was 7 years old at the time and had no idea wat was going on. My mom went in to try to break them up but with no luck. Finnaly that dog let go of her, and she lay motionless on our porch. :( We rushed her to the vet but it was too late..she died in my moms arms. :( I don't blame the whole breed for with what happened, but I will always be very cautous around them and no not to underestimate them.

Sorry this was so long. :o

cocker_luva
07-30-2003, 12:50 PM
my dog Jesse is the first dog i've ever had. I know for a fact we will never take her to the pound. also i hope we don't ever have to take her to be put down. :(

puppygrrl4eva7
07-30-2003, 01:20 PM
My first dog was also named Jessie, (Ringo is my second dog so far). But I feel so bad that we had to take Jessie to the humaine society:( She was just too much for us to handle (not to mention that she was overweight at 110 pounds

tikeyas_mom
07-31-2003, 02:17 AM
we had to put our dog Jagger down *alaskan malamute* because he beat up another dog and the pound took him away :(.

We had to put down his girl friend a couple of years earlier because she had distemper and bit my 5 year old brother.. :( she was also an alasken malamute. :(. I miss them both so much .. :(.

jenluckenbach
07-31-2003, 07:36 AM
I have never had to leave a beloved pet at the pound or any other place for that matter.
BUT
I have had to make the dreaded decision to put to sleep 5 cats who were ill and NOT going to get better.

catlover4ever
07-31-2003, 07:56 AM
I remember growing up, my mom and I lived with my grandparents and my grandmother was dead set against ANY animals. This little kitten showed up and she made my mom take it to the human society....I vowed from that day forward I would NEVER do that.

I did have to make the heart breaking decision to have Cleo put down this winter. Cleo was a feral who showed up in my front garden, I fed her and provided her with a doghouse for shelter. She was in such bad shape when she showed up, so I tried to make friends with her but she wanted nothing to do with that, just feed her and give her shelter was all that she wanted. Well, we had a hard winter here in Connecticut. I came home early from work during a bad snow storm and she was in Tucker's doghouse (Tucker was inside the house) and she was not moving and when I looked into check on her, her eyes were swollen shut and all she could do was cry. I knew that she needed to move on to Rainbow Bridge where she could have all the luxuries in the world. I stayed with her at the vet's office as she was so alone in this world that I wanted her to pass to the otherside being held and knowing that at least someone loved her.

Pam
07-31-2003, 08:03 AM
Yes, I have had to send 3 loved poodles to the Rainbow Bridge due to age/illness. It is a gut-wrenching experience and the worst part of owning/loving an animal, as their little lives are so short. I have never taken an animal to a pound.

pitc9
07-31-2003, 07:33 PM
I have never had to put an animal down, and I'm sure that will not be the case for the rest of my life.

wolfsoul
07-31-2003, 10:42 PM
Yes. Both.

When I was 10, my siberian husky Cheeko was dropped off at our house by my grandma. We weren't ready for him, and we didn't know anything about the breed, let alone did my family want to have anything to do with him. So he stayed tied in the back yard for a very long time. I was his only friend. Finally, my mom got tired of him and took him to the shelter :( I thought it was because she hated him, but she told me just a while ago that she cried when she took him there..

When I was about 8, my rabbit, Nibbles, was PTS. Her back legs were paralyzed and she had to drag them when she walked. My mom called the vet, and they told her to come in and they would put her to sleep. It was best for her. :( She was very very old.

I think it's odd that people press "no" and not "no but maybe in the future." You can NEVER know that you might not have a suffering animal in the future that might have to be put down.

MammaMangorin
08-01-2003, 06:04 AM
My 3+ year old Hamster and some sik animals have we put in to sleep.. :(
And i take my rabbit female to the "pound" (pet cere) and we send 2-3 guineapigs to them..
My rabbit female was aggressiv.
And the guineapig was white whit red eyes and males (no body wanted buy them :( i love red eyed animals)

Tonya
08-05-2003, 01:59 AM
I had to put my childhood dog, Christy to sleep. That was somewhat easy because it was her time.

I had to put my pit-sharpei, Rosco down for his aggressiveness. That was the hardest decision that I'd ever made in my life. I don't think that I will ever get over it. I think about would have's and could have's everyday. Deep down, I know I didn't have a choice, but I sure wish I could have worked out his aggression.

I sold three chinchillas if that counts as giving up. I'd had a chinchilla once before and it was a fairly clean pet. I got those three and they were so so so messy and gross!

WWFanz
08-05-2003, 02:58 PM
I've had to go through 2 dogs being put to sleep. The first was a Cocker Spaniel, she was the dog of my grandmother's friend who had died. We kept her for about a year, but she started to go blind so we had to put her to sleep.
The second was a Beagle named Buster. I had him since I was 2, but at the end of 9th grade he got really sick and had to be put to sleep. Me and my parents went to the vet when he was being put to sleep so he knew we were there.

krazyaboutkatz
08-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Yes to both questions for me. I had adopted Storm and since he needed a playmate, I decided to adopt another cat. Storm was the first cat that I ever owned on my own so I didn't really know what to expect by adopting another cat. I adopted another male adult cat and Storm wanted to be his friend but the other cat wouldn't give in. :( They growled and hissed which I expected but then I also noticed that Storm's personality changed and he became very shy and scared to live in his own home. The other cat also started spraying everywhere including my pillow. :eek: I tried everything to try to stop the spraying but nothing worked and Storm was also very unhappy so I had to make the decision to take the cat to a shelter because the rescue organization was full and couldn't take him in at that time. I always wonder what happened to him but I think that he was put to sleep.:(

This past February my cat Pepper had to be put to sleep because he was very sick and wasn't getting any better. This was the hardest decision that I've ever had to make in my life. I still miss him very much. :(

soxie
08-18-2003, 10:57 AM
as you all probly know i had to take my beutiful presian prinsess to get put down because she was old and suffering in seriouse cases like that or a pet be over aggression that can not be found out or handled by a professional i say yes put down should be in you r list of yes opptions

now i do not think it is right to take an animal to the pound right off with out looking for a proper home wich could take over a month beacause you should be loyal to your pet as they are to you
mary

cubby31682
08-18-2003, 11:17 AM
When I was about 2 mayby 3 we had a dog, that would let me get on his back and he would take me for a walk around the yard. One day I woke up to my Dad coming home and asked him where O'mally was and he said that O'Mally couldn't walk anymore. A week before we had to put him down I had to stay off his back because he was getting really slow and couldn't handle it anymore. So after I heard the news I felt so bad. He was such a good dog from what I remember. I thought my dad was going to cry while he was telling me about it.

cocker_luva
08-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I think it's odd that people press "no" and not "no but maybe in the future." You can NEVER know that you might not have a suffering animal in the future that might have to be put down.

well the keywords there is "have u" meaning have you in THE PAST. :p

rkabn_2000
12-18-2005, 10:25 AM
I have had to put to sleep several pets during my lifetime for one reason or another. It was always difficult. First to make the decision, and second to actually do it. Only one pet we took to the vets. The rest we did at home. I would like to see a euthanasia service where someone would come to your house when it was time and quietly and calmly administer the medicine while your pet is with you and in his/her favorite place. Going to the vets is so traumatic to my animals that taking them there for their last time on this earth is not my choice. My fear for starting such a business is people would randomly use it just to terminate the lives of unwanted animals and that would not be the purpose. So I do not think it would be possible. :(

k9krazee
12-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Yes to both :( ...kinda :confused:

I've never had to put a dog to sleep but we had to put down 2 of our cats before, one had cancer really bad and the other was poisoned and too far gone :(

My parents adopted a GSD, Simba, from the pound when I was really little. He kept running off and would end back up at the pound. He did it so many times that they were going to charge my parents a fine. He ran away one last time and ended up at the pound and they never went back and got him. So they didn't really take him there but thats where he ended up :(

CathyBogart
12-18-2005, 12:27 PM
I've never taken an animal to the pound, though we rescued a cocker spaniel off the side of the road a few years ago, and when it became painfully clear that he didn't like little kids (my siblings were very young at the time) we found him a home with a retired couple who treats him like a king. :)

I've had to have several pets PTS, and it was painfully difficult every time.

slleipnir
12-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Rufus, my dog. He was around 16-17 yrs old, and he found it hard to get up and move around. :( it was the hardest choice I've had to make!

Also, when I was a kid, I had a hamster. She got a huge lump under her neck (like it was almost as big as her!) Anyway, I was so worried about my hammy, and just had to take it to the vet :o Of course, there was nothing to do but put her to sleep. I can remember talking to my dad and he said something like what do you think we need to do?And I was like, Well, we can leave her here overnight...haha...I was so upset over it

moosmom
12-18-2005, 03:18 PM
I've had to put 2 of my cats down. Casey (Bubba Dude, RB 2002) had cancerous polyps. Marina Mar (RB, 2000) had Pemphagus Aereolus, a very painful skin condition that left lesions on her ears and her nailbeds.

I would never THINK of bringing my pets to a shelter.

.sarah
12-18-2005, 03:52 PM
I would like to see a euthanasia service where someone would come to your house when it was time and quietly and calmly administer the medicine while your pet is with you and in his/her favorite place. Going to the vets is so traumatic to my animals that taking them there for their last time on this earth is not my choice. My fear for starting such a business is people would randomly use it just to terminate the lives of unwanted animals and that would not be the purpose. So I do not think it would be possible. :(
Most vets will come to your home to do it. A lot of people just don't know that this is available. I didn't when we had to put Buttons down, and I work at a vet. I would have preffered he could have died at home, but he also loved the people at work so it wasn't too traumatic for him. You should ask your vet, they probably do it.

Suki Wingy
12-18-2005, 04:44 PM
My parents returned my Layla to the shelter, she was at the point of insanity, she was mentally unstable, and we should have never adopted her in the first place.
EDIT: when I was 9 my cousins moved to england and I took care of my cousin's hammy. (named Hammy, I was sooo mad at his for naming him that)
He was about 3 when he developed a cancerous tumor. My mom took him to every vet she could go to and they all said he was too old to have anethstisia for the surgury so we finally euthenised him :( My mom was bawling all the way home, she could barley drive. The vet sent us a simpathy card the next week because he was so worried about my mom.

carole
12-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Let me see, I had to take our mouse to be PTS, and also our budgie , he was my son's pet and he was at health camp at the time, he was only like 8 or so and he just got too sick and i knew it was time, I had to take the little stray that was injured recently to the vets, knowing the outcome was to be PTS, even though I knew it was for the best, i cryed myself to sleep that night thinking about its sad short life.

I absolutetly dread the day I ever have to have my cats PTS, it does not even bear thinking about. :(

IRescue452
12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
If you ignore all the strays I've taken to the humane society, then all I've taken in was a gerbil. She was a college prank, some students let her run free in the campus center. I found her and had her for over a month before bringing her in. I wasn't supposed to keep her that long, but I milked my time. My mom has taken in all the other animals that had to be put down. I'll probably be taking Sonny in the future but I don't like to think about it.

areias
12-19-2005, 01:04 AM
I had a beagle mix probably when I was about 5 years old, I think we had her until I was 6 or 7. She was absolutely the greatest dog, got along with everyone and was well behaved...until you left her home alone. She had severe seperation anxiety, literally would tear the house apart. If you put her in a crate, she could open the clips, or she would hurt herself to get out. We tried muzzling her too, and she managed to rip the muzzle in half. It got really bad, so my mom took her to "a new home". It was only a few years ago I found out she had her put to sleep. I know it was for the best, but I wish I had that dog now, and maybe we could of helped her. :(

We did have a cat that we had to bring back to the humane society...she was sweet at first, but the longer she was with us, she got very aggressive. Would really tear your feet or hands up, if she saw them move, and got the point she was literally attacking us.

grybai
12-19-2005, 02:01 AM
I would only go to the pound to get a pet, not leave one, no matter what. However, I had to put down my last dog Dewey after just having him 2 weeks because he had distemper. :(

JenBKR
12-19-2005, 02:02 PM
We put my beautiful RB Lady to sleep becuase she had cancer - it was one of the hardest things I ever went through. I am sure the day will come to do the samne for the ones I have now, but I cannot bear to think of that now :( I will do it, because it is better to end their suffering.

Corinna
12-19-2005, 02:40 PM
I have had to put several dogs (old age) and a cat. But Merlin (this spring ) Pandora (my teenshow dog) and Patsy my childhood pal were the hardest.
Most of you know Merlin's story ( for those how don't ) he was my springer he developed cancer at 7 years old.He taught himself to be my alert dog for my diabetes.
Pandora was a pup I kept from a litter my dad raised ,she had an eye infection before the eyes opened. had to put meds in the eye with a small tummy tube . She was raised in a box on the kitchen table. When the eyes opened she had afloating mass in each eye. Vet described her sight as she could see the out line of the dog house but not the door. (she needed a crash helmet always ran in to the trees ), when running with her sibs.
I trained her as a tracking dog she had a terrific nose. The week before her first trial for her titlre some one left the gate open and one of the other dogswent in and chewed her up so bad Mom had to have her put down. I almost killed the other dog. (teenage hormones )
Patsy was a cocker I got at age 2 she was my sib even after we adopted my brother. When I was 17 I had to take her in as she was a proud dog. She was incontant and did not deal with it well she would be come embarrased. She hadn't barked in a year and was blind. (yes 2 blind dogs at once. )I miss them all 3 every day.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Wow, This thread is really old.

When Justin and I first got married we lived with his parents for 3 months. During those months I had to take a couple strays I found to the pound because justin's parents wouldn't let us foster them. Since then I've never taken any animal to the pound.

I've had to euthanize a few pets though. The first was a bunny that I had as a teenager. When I adopted her she already had a bum leg that was never right after that. Eventually she needed to be PTS because she started to have trouble in her other back leg and was in a lot of pain. I've also had to have 2 cats PTS. Scampers because of kidney failure and Roxy because of a neurological disorder.

Allecto
12-20-2005, 03:34 PM
I have had to put pets to sleep before.

I have found a puppy before that I could not take in (I had three dogs and two fosters, and I only am licensed to keep 5 dogs). I put him in the local (kill) shelter, but also signed up to sponsor him if he was not adopted during his grace period. Luckily for us both, he was adopted very quickly.

Vette
12-21-2005, 05:30 AM
We had to put Muffin to sleep. she could hardly walk and she yipped when she went sit down or get up. it was heart breaking.. and she lost her balance and would fall alot too.. so i think it was for the best.

ramanth
12-27-2005, 01:49 PM
Took Sable (cat) to the vet to be euthanized. He was 15 and cancer got the best of him. :(

chocolatepuppy
12-27-2005, 02:53 PM
I've had to put two dogs to sleep. My RB Casey and Corey. Both were old and both were sick.

dream_dog1234
01-23-2006, 08:39 PM
No. Never will take one to the pound... but if the dog was in pain I would put him/her to sleep. But I'd cry for all my life after it.

sammy101
01-23-2006, 09:06 PM
i could NEVER take a dog to the pound,i wouldnt be able to handle it.
My RB dalmatian was pts because she had severe kidney disease.RB Bear was recently pts this past november at the age of 21. :(

todd
01-24-2006, 12:37 AM
yes I have

Jessika
01-25-2006, 11:21 AM
We had to take a previous kitten of mine, Mochi, to the pound because of his aggression. Well, my parents did anyway. I came home from work one day, and he was just gone. :(

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-25-2006, 04:25 PM
My family has had to put a few dogs to sleep, we've never taken a dog to the pound though.

Taffygirl62
02-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately I have put pets to sleep and I recently put a cat that I had for 8 years to sleep a couple of years ago as he got kidney failure. I even buried him as well as two cats before that. I'm not a stranger to doing that painful event but if it has to be done I always think about the pet first and how they are feeling before I make that decision. I have also put horses and ponies down as well.

Shortie
02-16-2006, 06:17 PM
My old neighboors hit my cat Gilbert with their car. I instantly took him to our Vet, but it was a Sunday and every place i took him to was closed. Finally i found a place and they said his spine was broke. I was crying so hard i couldn't stop. We had to put him down. The vet said he wasn't going to charge me for the "Emergency Fee" because he felt so bad.

dab_20
02-28-2006, 09:41 AM
No I have never done either. Although in some circumstances it may be nessacery to put a pet to sleep, if they are suffering.

I woulden't take a pet to a shelter.

Sudilar
03-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Within a seven month's span, I had to release two beloved GSDs to RB. Both were suffering, both had incurable diseases. I was devastated. I still miss them.

I have never sent a dog to the pound.

Catty1
03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
Our old family Siamese made it to 19 1/2. We hoped he would go in his sleep, pass on naturally. But he just kept hanging on and deteriorating...by the time we took him to the vet, he was so out of it on his own, he just stood looking at the back of the carrier all the way there, not moving at all when the carrier door was opened. He just got slower and thinner and stiffer...mom had taken him to the vet to be PTS a month before, but just couldn't do it, she was crying. I went with her the second time...it was time...

And a stray I had rescued - turned out he was dumped because he had some kidney failure. He flourished under good home and vet care for a few weeks - then the disease caught up with him. I am glad he had my bed to sleep on...and cuddles and catnip...but he got in so much pain I couldn't touch him. Dear ginger Dave...he was PTS at the vet's - and I cried for days...I was in shock for two of them...

I love my two healthy babies now...and I hope they go in their sleep when it is time. But I may have to make the awful decision too one day.

Rest in peace, all sweet furry and feathered babies.

Lori Jordan
03-08-2006, 02:40 PM
I just had to put my one year old Australian Shepherd Bandit down November 2005,He was hit by a car both his back legs were broken and he was bleeding internally,worse decision i had to make he was just a year old i'll always miss him

dogzr#1
03-08-2006, 04:14 PM
I had to put a puppy down because he had Parvo. Also when I was little I had to put my dog Max (dachshund) down because he was old. I have never had to take a dog to the pound, and don't intend to.

lute
04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
i've never had to have a pet PTS or taken any of my pets to the shelter. other than rescues that i couldn't keep.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-15-2006, 08:49 AM
We had to pts our 13 year old Yellow Labrador, Teal, because she had a stroak, and could barely walk.... I will always miss her... :( :(

cyber-sibes
04-15-2006, 09:08 PM
I had to have my cat, Chow Chow, put down last November. It was very sad, but he'd been sick for a long time, and his kidneys shut down. He was around 17 yrs. old. I miss him. :(

animal_rescue
04-16-2006, 10:36 AM
We've put down a lot of rescues that couldn't live. I've held a lot of babies that didn't survive and went onto the bridge. It always breaks my heart but I know it's for the best.

My pets I remember were Simon he was 12 and had cancer. He was my boy, I grew up with him and definitely had a strong bond with him. He was very special to me and I will always remember him.

Hannah was 7 and she was Simon's half sister. She attacked Maggie, my mom, and my brother. She was put down. This was a year after she killed my min pin and she had attacked Maggie multiple times before that one nasty attack.

Chester, he was a good cat. We found him in the road and brought him home. A couple of years later, we found out he had Gingivitis and got some of teeth pulled and a shot for the pain. Sadly nothing helped and he stopped eating. We really did keep him alive longer than he should have been but finally after my mom found him lying in the basement, she decided it was time to have him put down. We buried him under his favorite rock in the backyard, he loved sunbathing on that rock.

Salemn, she was a foster we got with kittens. I quickly fell in love with her and when her kittens were old enough to find homes for themselves. My mom decided to let me keep Salemn. One day I came home and Salemn wasn't around, I asked my mom where she was and she told me she got a call that all of Salemn's kittens dropped dead in their cage at the HS. So she took Salemn in to get tested and found out she had FIP. So she was put to sleep as well. I'll miss that girl, she was really special to me.

Eddy, he was the neighbor's cat that they left behind because they didn't like him. I'm sure he was abused because half his tail was missing. He was an awesome fat boy though. He was MY cat and I loved spending time with my boy. Honestly I don't even remember what happened to him but my mom had him put to sleep too.

Jack-O-Lantern, truly a special cat. His mom abandoned him and his sister and a wild rabbit found them and raised them. One day a little boy found the momma rabbit and the kittens and took the kittens him. He kept Jack's sister and my aunt got Jack for us. Jack had stomach problems that couldn't be fixed and he was put to sleep around the age 4.

All my rats were PTS. Blue had to many tumors in her body at only 8 months old. Cotton was 3 years and had lung cancer. Cotton and Candy went together which in a way made me happy, because if one went without the other, they would have been so depressed and more than likely passed on anyways. They were bonded sisters and together from day one. They got their tumors together in the same spots too.

I know this seems like a lot of pets but we did a lot of rescue and sometimes the rescues were sick when we got them and they couldn't get better.

Sevaede
04-17-2006, 01:07 AM
I never have and never will take a pet to the pound.

I have had to PTS five pets (that I can remember). In this order:

Rowdy was a cream coloured cocker spaniel that developed skin problems and, later on, cancer when I was still fairly young. He was sent to the RB to eleviate his problems.

Woofer was a black field spaniel that belonged to my maternal grandparents. Woofer was very old even when I got old enough that my memories stuck with me (so, when memories as early as I could remember stuck with me). She was about eleven or twelve when I was four. She was completely blind and was starting to lose her hearing. When I turned twelve, my grandparents woke up one day to Woofer not being able to walk or hold her potty. She was PTS to stop her suffering.

Mimi was a tiny, sweet, little girl ferret that had been given to my mom. She was about six when we had to have her PTS a year and half ago due to a cancerous growth on her mouth that had gotten cut open on her cage.

Treasure was a purebred, AKC registered (KennelsnameIforgot's Precious Treasure), German Shepherd. Treasure started acting funny and a couple of days later we woke up and she had passed away on the floor of the kitchen. So, that doesn't count. But it was still upsetting.

Tier was my husband and I's first furkid together. He was a massive sized tuxedo cat. I mean, just HUGE. We had to have him PTS because of a rather lengthy something that I would rather not delve into at this point. It was a back problem that had an 80% chance of not working. That was about ten months ago.

G.P.girl
04-17-2006, 08:32 PM
We had to put our rotweiler puppy down when he was about 4 months old i think he had distemper, i dont really remember because i was only 4 years old at the time. It was sad. his name was Kodiak

molucass
11-24-2006, 12:41 AM
We had to have our chihuahua puppy Sara put to sleep last year the day before Christmas Eve. She had parvo.. We were staying with Robin's family in Tennessee and she hadn't shown any signs of being ill until that evening when we had to bring her to the emergency vet.
She only weighed 1.3 lbs and was 3 months old. The vet tested her to see what was wrong and it came back positive for parvo. He said as small as she was, it was very unlikely that she would even survive the treatment for it.

So, instead of us putting her through all of that, we let her go.. That was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. She was our baby and Deebo loved her so much.. We were really lucky that Deebo didn't get sick too.
I was planning on holding her until she fell asleep, but I just couldn't.. I held her at first, but couldn't stop crying and shaking so I finally called the nurse to come in there and get her.. She said she just sang to Sara, rocked her and held her until she took her final breath. :(

I've never mentioned Sara before now, I don't think. It's too hard to talk about her.

She was such a beautiful little girl.

GreyhoundGirl
11-24-2006, 07:54 AM
Houblie was.. well, sorta stolen, :mad: but no doubt she'd be put to sleep by now. And Phoebe was hit by a truck. Well, no none of my pets have been PTS.

Zippy
11-24-2006, 07:56 AM
Yes I have had to put Zippy's brother Tiger to sleep.He was really sick and nothing could be done. :(
I have had to give away pets. :( My beloved Emmy Lou(my peekboo tiel)she know lives with Kari.

critter crazy
11-24-2006, 08:09 AM
I have had to put Two Dogs to sleep. My rotti girl Zoey, had to be PTS due to severe arthritis in her spine, she couldnt walk very well, and was suffereing so much, it hurt us all to see her like that. We also just last year had to put our Rotti Boy Zues to sleep, due to Cancer in his stomache and his throat. It was very hard on us! They were both such great dogs!:(

luvofallhorses
11-24-2006, 11:45 AM
we would NEVER ever take our pets to the pound! the last time we had a pet pts was 10 years ago. He was a basset hound/beagle mix and when we were living in Nevada, he got loose. A kid found him and fed him lunchmeat in front of his dog! :mad: We had to rush Buddy to the emergency vet clinic and he had a lot of stitches put in his back. :( we cleaned him up good everyday but in 1996, he was going down hill so we had to make the tough decision of putting him down 2 weeks before Christmas. :( He was the best dog ever.

JuniorxMyxLove
11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Sadly...2 times...=[

The 1st one: my cat Zsa-Zsa didn't act like she was sick, she was getting old and thinner[Hyper Thyroid] but was still active and such. She was 14, though. Suddenly she dropped maybe 5lbs off, not eating, barely drinking. Everytime I would hand feed her or give her water, she would just throw it up again. Sadly, my mom decided to call the vets and make that dreaded appointment noone wants to make. My mom gave me time to say goodbye to my furry baby andthen tok her to the vet, leaving me to the sympathy of my friends at school. Zsa-Zsa was the sweetest cat, and I will never forget her. Her official death was October 3, 2005.

Then, 3 weeks later, my beloved Freddie started going downhill. She had been battling cancer for a long time[2-3 yrs] and now the lumps on her stomach were bursting and oozing. My mom and I had to clean it everyday to keep the open areas from infection. Even though she layed in one spot all day and had to be forced to start eating, Freddie still purred, showing she still felt good enough to love. But she kept eating less and less,no matter how much we tried, and my mom started talking about calling the vets once more. I pleaded and my mom postponed the call until Thursday[it was Monday, if I remember correctly]. On Wednesday night, I just sat there, holding Freddie, knowing it would be my last chance to for a long, long time. I talked to her and pet her and she did her best to comfort me, purring me to sleep like she used to. Thursday morning was the worst morning I will ever have. Saying goodbye to freddie was so hard. I noticed one thing though, she didn't purr. She knew it was her time and was ready to go. I don't remember anything about school that day, but I remember running home, looking for Freddie. I hoped it was all a dream. It wasn't. Even now, a year later, I still get teary-eyed thinking about Freddie. Only a few days ago I wrote a poem about her. It's nothing to write home about, but here it is. "It's been almost a year, without a tear, it's been almost a year, your purr I can't hear, it's been almost a year without you." She was put to sleep November 9, 2005.

Sorry that was soooo long, hope you don't mind. =[

Twisterdog
11-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Lacie, my cocker spaniel, was euthanized when she was sixteen years old. She was blind, deaf, incontinent and senile. It was time.

And, of course, working at a shelter, euthanasia is an ongoing fact of life.

Husky15
11-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't believe we've ever put one of our pets to sleep, but we have given some up.

cameron goring
12-26-2006, 06:45 AM
my hamster was my best freind and had to be put to sleep because his pouch was inside out :(

chocolatepuppy
12-26-2006, 08:35 AM
I've had to put two dogs to sleep. My RB Casey and Corey. Both were old and both were sick.

Add my sweet Mandy who was PTS in June this year. She was very sick. She was only 5 but had a bad heart and got an infection her heart couldn't fight off. :(

xcolbi
12-26-2006, 09:02 AM
3 years ago, we had to put my cat, Sophie, to sleep. We knew something was wrong with her, but we didn't know what. :(
My mom would babysit these twins whose mom worked in a vet's office. She volunteered to take Sophie up to see the vet (We couldn't afford to take her ourselves). Later, my mom called her to see how everything was going, but she told us that Sophie was too sick and had to be put down. :(

CatLuvrs
12-26-2006, 09:11 AM
We had to put our dog Willie to sleep due to her immune system was eating her up from the inside out. She had these awful spots that look like someone too bites out of her sides. It was so sad. The vet said basically is was doggie AIDS. It broke our hearts. I was 7 and still remember like it was yesterday. :(

Kalei
12-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Yes, I have had to put two of my rabbits to sleep before. In the year of 2002 I had to put my dear rabbit Baby asleep because she had some kind of tumour, cancer, or abscess right behind her eye that was making her eye pop out, it was so sad. The vets weren't even sure what it was but they said even if they did surgery that Baby probably wouldn't live through it all.

And then my other rabbit in 2003 I had for about 6 months, I had gotten Baby from a breeder, and this bunny I got from the pet store, and in about 6 months it got what I think was wry neck, its head was literally stuck to the side and it would just role around in its cage. So we had to put it out of its suffering.