PDA

View Full Version : Help on looking good

wolfsoul
07-29-2003, 06:38 PM
As most of you know, I have a dermotologist appointment coming up (August 8th). I know that someone is going to be staring at my face, so I would like to be clear of any blemishes...My face is nice right now, no zits or anything, but it will rarely stay that way before I actually have to go out somewhere (my body hates me).

Does anyone have any special things they do to keep their face free of any blemishes or anything? I get self-cautious when people are staring at my face and so I want to look good.

Thanks in advance. :)

slick
07-29-2003, 07:15 PM
To be honest, my face is very clear but I've never used makeup and never sunbathe. The only thing I use on my face is Vitamin E cream. You can get the generic brand at London Drugs. Works wonders. It's not a magical fix, but more for long-term use.

koxka
07-29-2003, 07:30 PM
I went through for several years on a extremely severe case of Dermatitis atopica. I'll save you the details.

Keep as calm as you can, stay away of distresfull situations. Take sunbathing ten of fitsteen minutes a day is enough , keep you skin well hydrated.

Ask to your deramtologist to have blood test on your Immunoglobulin E (IgE). High levels of IgE can often lead to a dermatitis

Keep us posted and good luck! :)

Tonya
07-29-2003, 08:28 PM
I have really really bad skin. It was fine in highschool, but once I had my son it got horrible. I'd tried everything under the sun, and nothing worked. I finally broke down and tried Accutane. It has a bad rap, but it works wonders. I should have done it a long time ago! For temp emergency fixes, try Visine to get rid of the redness and swelling. Also, cortizone will dry it up fast. You have to use it liberally though, because it sometimes causes scaring.

Kfamr
07-29-2003, 09:09 PM
Wow.... I never knew you guys cared so much about "looking good". Lol.... I could care less how I look or how other people think I look as long as my babies love me. =P

Twisterdog
07-29-2003, 09:37 PM
I have really really bad skin. It was fine in highschool, but once I had my son it got horrible.

Me, too! I thought I was the only one!! All through junior high, high school and college my skin was almost perfect. Then, once I got pregnant, my skin became a MESS. I thought it would clear up once my son was born, but it actually took like ten YEARS for it to clear up! Talk about hormones from hell!!! Also, once I got pregnant, I couldn't wear my contact lenses anymore, and I had worn them since the 8th grade. I never have been able to wear contacts again, and my son is twelve!

wolfsoul
07-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Wow.... I never knew you guys cared so much about "looking good". Lol.... I could care less how I look or how other people think I look as long as my babies love me. =P
LOL, yeah, I'm that way with what I wear, but when it comes to my face...:o :o :p

Thanks everyone! :)

Slick, I'll definatly go to London Drugs and take a look! It's right across the street! :p

Ask to your deramtologist to have blood test on your Immunoglobulin E (IgE). High levels of IgE can often lead to a dermatitis
Blood test? Heh...heh...heh...:eek: :o Needles scaaaaaary :o

Airedalekisses
07-29-2003, 09:59 PM
oh, Accutane works wonders;but, the long term effects are just lovely-there's even a class action suit against Hoffman La Roche! I was the very first person to ever use it. I'm 51 and look about 30-I have never worn makeup and just use good old Noxzema. Sometimes zits hurt-it's not so much how they look; but, they can cause serious infections! Ah the inconvenience of hormones.Oh and proven fact-talked to my dermatologist- for all of the chocolate lovers-chocolate does not cause zits-bigger thighs maybe;but not zits!

popcornbird
07-29-2003, 10:35 PM
Vitamin E oil helped clear up my skin. I use it everyday on my face, and its just great. Works wonderfully!

kingrattus
07-29-2003, 10:42 PM
Whats makeup?? :D
All I can say is that all sunbathing is bad for you, if u tan urself thats bad. I was watching a sun show on discovery & they said all tans r bad, its damaging ur skin permently. The whiter the better. but the fake tanning is ok, its not killing ur skin like the sun does.

wolfsoul
07-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus
Whats makeup?? :D
All I can say is that all sunbathing is bad for you, if u tan urself thats bad. I was watching a sun show on discovery & they said all tans r bad, its damaging ur skin permently. The whiter the better. but the fake tanning is ok, its not killing ur skin like the sun does.

I don't wear much makeup :D I only wear eyelinner and eyeshadow. :)

And I don't tan -- Infact, I couldn't. I don't tan, I burn! :eek:

I'll have to get some of that vitamin E oil. :)

Kfamr
07-29-2003, 10:51 PM
The sun is evil. I hide in my hoodie all day.:D

wolfsoul
07-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
The sun is evil. I hide in my hoodie all day.:D

That's like me...:rolleyes: I've always hated the light lol. Mmmmm, daaaark...

kingrattus
07-29-2003, 10:58 PM
And I don't tan -- Infact, I couldn't. I don't tan, I burn!
============

hehehe same here, I'm way way too fair to stay in the sun longer then a few mins, unless I'm wearing my 70spf, then I last 30 mins & then I'm burned to high heck. & now when I burn I get horrible scaring all over my skin, I look horrible now. I'm a ghost with brown spots :( :(

Kfamr
07-29-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
That's like me...:rolleyes: I've always hated the light lol. Mmmmm, daaaark...

Dark and Cold, My favorite. I want to move to Alaska!

wolfsoul
07-29-2003, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I have fair skin too. My fiend works for Mary Kay, and when she gave me a makeover she said that I have the fairest type of skin...:o

S'ok...all the models are pale! Right? ;)

shais_mom
07-30-2003, 12:25 AM
I would talk to your mom about trying Proactive, I have used it and it works wonders. But better yet, a friend of mine has HORRIBLE HORRIBLE acne and she has been using this for a couple years and has really nice skin now. Be careful of Accutane I think, it helps dry out your oil glands or something, but it can also dry out other area too, Like your sinuses, mouth and ahem other areas. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Sorry but I don't know how else to say it!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wolfsoul
07-30-2003, 02:11 AM
I'll have to try proavtive. Lately I've been having this bad oil problem on my face, especially my forehead :confused: It's odd, because I usually have the mosy dry skin! It always peeled and drove me mad! But now that I've experience oily skin, I'd rather have dry!

I've been rubbing alcohol all over my face, just trying to dry it out. Apparently it happens to every maturing teenager :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas! :)

Uabassoon
07-30-2003, 03:48 AM
I would talk to your mom about trying Proactive, I have used it and it works wonders.

I would second that. I used to have perfect skin in high school, then I turned 18 and the zits started. I tried everything possible. I went to the dermatologist and nothing seemed to work. Not only that but it became very expensive to visit him, then get the medicine. I've been using proactive and my skin has really cleared up.

Logan
07-30-2003, 04:25 AM
Proactive does work! My only complaint when I used it was that I ran out of the cleanser much sooner than the other stuff and usually had to do a separate order for that and it is not inexpensive. But to have clear skin is so very worth it!

Good luck!

Logan

Uabassoon
07-30-2003, 01:12 PM
I always run out of the toner first.

Ally Cat's Mommy
07-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Want to hear something CRAZY. If you have an important date / event etc and you have a HUGE ZIT, dab a bit of haemmeroid (sp) cream on it - it takes away the redness and tightens the skin so the zit isnt so easy to see. I had a booking for formal photos with my kids and I had a zit on my chin that looked like a second nose taking root. The pharmacist told me abouth this and it worked! (Just don't tell anyone what you've got on your face LOL);)

2kitties
07-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Like many of you, I didn't start to have skin problems until adulthood.
I think that a good cleanser and an oil free moisturizer are the best defense. Wash your face both morning and evening. If your zits are caused by anything other than basic hygene, then you'll probably need a doctor's prescription anyway.

For me, just being more concious of washing my face and keeping my hands off it (your hands spread oils) helped alot.

I will also suggest, though, that it is a good thing if your "problems" appear when you go to the doctor. That way, he or she can see them first hand and help you treat them, rather than have to go on descriptions. I find that my problems is I have zits all the time *except* when I have a dermatologist appt!

wolfsoul
07-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Ally Cat's Mommy
Want to hear something CRAZY. If you have an important date / event etc and you have a HUGE ZIT, dab a bit of haemmeroid (sp) cream on it - it takes away the redness and tightens the skin so the zit isnt so easy to see. I had a booking for formal photos with my kids and I had a zit on my chin that looked like a second nose taking root. The pharmacist told me abouth this and it worked! (Just don't tell anyone what you've got on your face LOL);)

Really? I always put haemmeroid cream under my eyes before I go to bed lol. Stops them from being all puffy. I'll have to try it on my zits. I always put alcohol on my zits because it dries them out.

Has anyone tried those little blue sheets that absorb oil? They are like these blue semi-transluscent square sheets, and when you rub them on your face, you can see how much oil it takes away, and your skin feels so much dryer and softer afterwards! Ican't remember what they are called, but I reccommend them :)

apcrs5122
07-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul

Has anyone tried those little blue sheets that absorb oil? They are like these blue semi-transluscent square sheets, and when you rub them on your face, you can see how much oil it takes away, and your skin feels so much dryer and softer afterwards! Ican't remember what they are called, but I reccommend them :)

Yeah, I stole some from my sis:o lol I reccommend them too, they work really well:)

binka_nugget
07-30-2003, 03:04 PM
aw....now I want to try proactive. I see the infomercials frequently but I never order it cuz I don't have a credit card or I just don't feel like mailing in a cheque/money.

I tried oxy..lol. It worked okay...it just took a while to show the results.

robinh
07-30-2003, 03:32 PM
I've had bad skin all my life. Teenage years were horrible. I did the Accutane years ago and that helped some.

Now I use the Proactiv and I believe it really does work. I wish I had tried it sooner.

HoRsELUvR
07-30-2003, 03:42 PM
I just wash my face and use a little Clearasil.I still get some zits though,but its not too bad.

shais_mom
07-30-2003, 03:58 PM
There is a new stuff out that is supposedly just like Proactive but doesn't have the celebrity endorsement, so it is like half the price, I just can't remember the name of it.
Jordyn:
Don't use alcohol on your face!!! Take if from someone who has been there, it will make the problem worse!!! If you feel you must use something, try witch hazel, or Noxema or Sea Breeze.
Granted I still sometimes use alcohol on my forehead ONLY and my neck, chest and the back of my neck, but I don't use it on my face anymore!
Your dermatologist might pass out if you tell him/her that!!
;)