PDA

View Full Version : Overweight guinea pig

apcrs5122
07-29-2003, 11:24 AM
Yes that's right, Scooter is getting fat. The last 2 times we've boarded them, they both gave them way too much pellets, which is what piggies can get obese on. I don't give them enough to make them overweight, or at least I don't think so. Also lately, they've been wanting more than their normal amount of veggies. Does anyone know why they're doing this? I'm cutting down on their food, but they just scream for more, and I feel bad not giving it to them (although I toughen up and don't). Is there anyway to exercise them to get weight off?

Thanks!

wolfsoul
07-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Do you have an outdoor run where he can run around in?

Maybe you could give him less pellets are more veggies? Try giving some watery veggies so he'll fill up faster.

Also, don't give too many carrots. Carrots are very sugary. ;)

Good luck!

MammaMangorin
07-29-2003, 02:53 PM
Veggies, grass, hay :rolleyes:

ChloeLove
07-29-2003, 04:05 PM
My Scooter is overweight as well. . . Maybe it has something to do with the name. ;) :p We try putting her on a diet, and she did lose some weight by taking her out every day and putting her in a play-pen and putting a piece of a baby carrot on the other side, and she'd run fast to get it. It works, but takes a while, but it is worth it. :)

apcrs5122
07-29-2003, 04:12 PM
I do have some grid things that I hook together to make a little pen to run around in. I have been cutting back on the pellets, too, and pushing the veggies (well, actually there's no need to push, lol). Thanks, Jordan, I didn't know that about carrots. Those are Rolo's favorite, and Scooter likes kale. I'm going to start doing those things with them:)