PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion to ZippieKat re: the Fund

gini
07-29-2003, 11:09 AM
Here is just my suggestion.........some may agree, some may take offense.....

Since there seems to be an open discussion regarding the Jessica situation I would like to suggest we do this.

Could we start the FIRST ANNUAL PET TALK DONATION?

It would be generic, and in the name of all of our beloved pets that may have passed to the Rainbow Bridge in the past year. It could also be in the name of loved ones we may have lost.

We could do it annually - and give to a different group each year. Having just one place to donate would make it simpler for everyone. We could track the donations and then let everyone know how much has been donated (not how much each person gave, but the total).

This is just an idea...........and the intent is not to offend anyone.

moosmom
07-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Gini,

I think that's a wonderful idea!

apcrs5122
07-29-2003, 11:18 AM
I also agree that it's a great idea.

allanimalswelcome
07-29-2003, 11:21 AM
That's a great idea!

~Rachel

Albea
07-29-2003, 12:29 PM
It looks like a great idea.
Where would the fund be established? "Best Friends" seems to be the ideal place because they rescue all kinds of creatures, not only pets.
When people send donations to Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue, in memory or in honor of a dog or person, we let the family know that a donation has been received and who sent it (never the amount).
I don't know if "Best Friends" has the staff or time to do this on an individual basis but, since I do it for YGRR, I'd be willing to do it for our fund if I get the information.

tatsxxx11
07-29-2003, 12:38 PM
LabMed does that too, Albea...sends out lovely cards to those, in whose name, (or their pet) a donation has been made. The sender can also write a small note. I think it's a great idea, Gini and your offer to help, Albea, so sweet. (No surprise!;))

robinh
07-29-2003, 12:46 PM
Perfect! It makes sense to donate in honor of everyone (fur and/or skin) we lost during the year. And I can't think of a better place. Great ideas both of you!

:D

lovemyshiba
07-29-2003, 12:51 PM
That sounds like a wonderful idea!!!
What better way to honor those we have lost than by making a donation to such a great cause.

I'm in:)

ramanth
07-29-2003, 01:04 PM
I like. :)

Nomilynn
07-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by gini

We could do it annually - and give to a different group each year. Having just one place to donate would make it simpler for everyone.

I really like this idea, but these statements confuse me... Don't they contradict each other? Or are you saying having ONE place each year makes it simpler?? (Sorry.. my brain is farting today! :eek: :p)

Also, I think if we do something like this, we need to make sure to donate to places outside the United States as well. Since we have so many countries represented here, I think it would be great to include other places.

gini
07-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I really like this idea, but these statements confuse me... Don't they contradict each other? Or are you saying having ONE place each year makes it simpler?? (Sorry.. my brain is farting today! :eek: :p)

Also, I think if we do something like this, we need to make sure to donate to places outside the United States as well. Since we have so many countries represented here, I think it would be great to include other places.

What I meant was that each year we select a NEW (or different) organization, shelter etc. to donate our funds to. This way we could track with them how much was given and it could be an incentive for people to really give!! It would become our mid-summer Annual Pet Talk Donation Drive.

Great idea to include other countries and their organizations!

(brain farts:D :D ?)

Barbara
07-29-2003, 01:21 PM
If an animal can be saved it would make no difference for me whether it is a German cat or a US cat -the important thing for me is

that the organization is good,

that it does not have too many administration overheads,

that they are strictly no-kill,

that they rescue different types of animals (I love all animals but I feel I have to concentrate -so I wouldn't like to donate e.g. to a dogs-only institution (which doesn't mean the dogs shouldn't get all the help they need -but among the many very good purposes on earth I want to choose the ones that are closest to my heart).

RubyMutt
07-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Great idea!

Please count me in :)

2kitties
07-29-2003, 01:28 PM
I think the gesture is noble and kind. But, I hope that people will remember their local rescue organizations. I think Best Friends, etc are wonderful organizations, but it is so important that we support these kinds of efforts in our own backyards- any time we can.

micki76
07-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
I think the gesture is noble and kind. But, I hope that people will remember their local rescue organizations. I think Best Friends, etc are wonderful organizations, but it is so important that we support these kinds of efforts in our own backyards- any time we can.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. A large donation to an organization yearly would be nice, but what about the other organizatons that won't be getting a donation if we do that? I mean, I know my funds are limited and I can only give so much. I'd hate to take away from the places that I donate to now regularly. :confused: :confused: :confused:

wolfsoul
07-29-2003, 01:32 PM
Great idea! :)

In the next few years, sometime atleast soon, could we donate to the BC Spcas? They are laying people off because they don't have any money, and although they are a no-kill organization, I heard that they are going to have to start PTS if they don't get the money they need. :(

gini
07-29-2003, 01:40 PM
My idea is meant to be entirely voluntary. By all means, if you have a favorite shelter or organization that you have donated to.....don't stop.

My own happens to be D.E.L.T.A. a no-kill shelter here in California for dogs and cats.

Just rummaging around in my brain (without farting:D ) maybe we come up with a list of say half a dozen worthy shelters each year and then we have the members read up on them and take a vote.

We already have so many resources just with our own members and their affiliations. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with an organization that would appeal to all of us.