PDA

View Full Version : My Heroine

ramanth
11-01-2001, 12:06 AM
I just recently adopted Kia (a Husky/ACD mix) about 4 months ago. We are still feeling each other out and Kia tries to bend the rules much to my dismay. But I digress as I wander off topic.

I had been experiencing some pelvic pain and been seeing a multitude of doctors to try and resolve the issue.

Seems noone knew what was wrong.

But Kia did.

As I napped one day, she began to prod my right abdomen side ever so gently, then she'd sniff. She did this a few times and when I saw my doctor I told him.

He was intrigued and decided to schedule a laparoscopy.

I just had the procedure done this past Wednesday. They found my appendix covered in masses and scar tissue and it was promptly removed. Scar tissue was also found behind my left ovary as well as a discoloration on my organs and tissues. A biopsy was taken of that. I'll get the results of the biopsy later this week.

Kia may have well saved my life. And she'll never realize how much I love her for it.

She is my heroine.

Pics of Kia (http://ramanth.tripod.com/kia.html)

~Kimmy

aly
11-01-2001, 12:55 AM
I am speechless and crying. What a beautiful story and what an absolutely amazing dog. The love of a dog can never be explained in words. I really hope you get better soon, but how could you not with that amazing dog at your side?

delidog
11-01-2001, 05:11 AM
what a great story...never underestimate the power of a dogs love and intuition!!!! kia is beautiful!!!!what a great combo of pound puppy!!!! congrats and enjoy and love each other!!!! the deli dog

Logan
11-01-2001, 07:02 AM
How wonderful that your companion was able to help you in this way. Bless your heart...your bond will get even tighter, I'm sure. Good luck with your test results...something tells me God is on your side. :)

Kia sounds as if she is a perfect nominee for Dog of the Day! :D But you would probably say Dog of a Lifetime, and I'd have to agree!!! :)

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

AdoreMyDogs
11-01-2001, 08:15 AM
That is SO touching. Dogs are truly a miracle, and Kia has proved herself to be a blessing to you. Bless you and your intuitive friend, Kia. And please heal quickly.

Kind of off subject but I do believe this is my 1000th post! Wow...I'm getting up there aren't I? :D

Dixieland Dancer
11-01-2001, 08:32 AM
Kimmy, Give Kia a big thanks from us for helping the doctor detect your problem. Dogs are very special in being able to detect things with their noses that we humans could never smell. There are dogs that actually are used to detect when someone is going to have a heart attack (before anything happens)! And dogs to detect abnormal body cells. It is truly amazing!

You are in our prayers for good news on the biopsy. Be patient with Kia in the sometimes doing things to push the limit. She probably started out on a rough start in life and was never taught just what her limits are. With patients and love you can help her become the great dog you knew she was when you adopted her in June! Her picture is precious! :D

jackiesdaisy1935
11-01-2001, 09:36 AM
First of all, good luck with your tests. What a wonderful dog you have, that story is amazing and I can see she is a one hundred percent Hero.
Jackie

mugsy
11-01-2001, 10:12 AM
We'll be thinking of you for good results of the biopsy. Aren't dogs wonderful beings? I've read stories like that. I remember one where a poodle who kept hitting her elderly female owner in the chest and the woman didn't know what to do. When the woman went to the doctor she told him about it and to make a long story short, they discovered breast cancer. The dog saved her life!!! Please let us know what happens with the biopsy...again, our prayers are with you...consider yourself added to the prayer list.

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-01-2001, 11:06 AM
What a story! I am very glad that Kia helped. Dogs are great, aren't they?

Good luck on your biopsy results. Let us know what is going on!

Albea
11-01-2001, 11:32 AM
What a wonderful story Kimmy! I've read and seen on TV about dogs who could detect incoming heart and epileptic attacks and was always in awe of their incredible super sense. This is the first time I hear of a first hand experience and I'm so happy for you that Kia is that special kind of pup. She is indeed a heroine!
Good luck with the biopsy, our thoughts are with you.

11-01-2001, 11:57 AM
Absolutely amazing!!! WOW! This is why dogs are such important parts of our lives. There is so much more to them than a lot of people realize (not anyone here of course ;))!!!!!!

I am so glad you and Kia are bonding. That is fantastic. Things will be so amazing from here on out. I hope you are on the mend and feeling better. Good luck with those test results too! We are all praying for you :D! Kisses to that sweet amazing Kia too!

Dixie Belle
11-01-2001, 12:05 PM
People have been trying to say that dogs can't really notice stuff like that. They even did tests, trying to prove it. The dogs passed. And it seems that once again, someone's life is saved. Kia will probably never really know just what she has done for you, at least, people would like to think that. I feel that she does know what she has done. She is truly a heroine. Please, keep us all updated on everything that happens. I'm sure I can speak for all of us here, and say that we all will be praying for you.

wolflady
11-01-2001, 12:21 PM
Kim, what an amazing story!! It sent shivers up my spine when I read it. What an amazing dog Kia is! Her 'mug shot' is absolutely precious...what intense eyes!! I've only heard stories like this but have never 'known' anyone to have had it happen. It's amazing the things our canine friends can detect, isn't it??!! I've heard about the heart attack and epiliptic dogs, and have even seen the story about the schnauzer that 'sniffs' for cancerous portions of the human body. You and Kia are in my prayers, please keep us posted on the biopsy!! God bless you and Kia!! :D :D :D

Rottie
11-01-2001, 12:25 PM
All I can say is WOW! :eek: Kia is a marvelous dog. That is so wonderful that she may have saved your life. :) :)

ownerof3dogs
11-01-2001, 04:06 PM
That has to be the most wonderful story. You must be one happy mom. Just think your dog probably saved your life. Also your lucky your Docter took Kia seriously.

I think you should summit this to the show "Miricle Pets" or something.

Golden Smiles
11-01-2001, 05:45 PM
AMAZING!!! Dogs are just so amazing!! I don't doubt for a minute that she could smell something was not right! They can detect melonomas, seizures before their onset, heart attacks, etc.......Thank God for that blessing!You will be in my prayers! :)

lbaker
11-01-2001, 07:25 PM
perhaps I'm jaded, and I don't want to offend anyone....but after several events in my life I no longer thank god - I thank Dog. I think someone just got the spelling wrong. You get better my dear and Dog bless.
laurie

Logan
11-01-2001, 07:28 PM
Why not thank both, Laurie......can't help but think that God has a hand in all of it..

lbaker
11-01-2001, 07:32 PM
Point well taken Logan, thank you.
laurie

Daisy's Mom
11-01-2001, 08:39 PM
Wow! What an amazing story! Thank you so much for sharing it with us. You saved Kia's life by adopting her, and she returned the favor. Good luck with your results, Kim! I am sure that you will get better in no time with such an amazing dog!

zippy-kat
11-01-2001, 09:00 PM
wow! I always hear these types of stories but never 'knew' anyone who experienced one!

You are both so, so lucky!

yorkster
11-01-2001, 09:05 PM
Thanks for sharing that story- I will be passing it on to friends and family! Oh, and beautiful dog too!

ramanth
11-01-2001, 09:58 PM
Thank you everyone! Your prayers and thoughts are most appreciated.

I've read all your replies aloud to Kia and she barked back a blushing hello and thank you. :)

Recovery is slow but steady and I think I'll be able to make it back to work tomorrow. As you can imagine, I'm anxious to get those biopsy results back.

I haven't been able to walk Kia and it makes me sad, but I think she understands.

I'll stay in touch. :)

*LabLoverKEB*
11-01-2001, 10:44 PM
That is a wondeful story! It made me just cry! I'm sooo glad you're ok!!! :) That's so wonderful that your dog saved you're life! ;)

Sarah & Sadie*

RachelJ
11-02-2001, 05:54 AM
Everyone has already said it, Kia is amazing and BEAUTIFUL. How blessed you are to have each other. Do let us know when you get the results of your biopsy. We are a bunch of worry warts here! And we certainly want to hear more Kia stories, especially the ones where she *bends the rules*. Here we call them NAWTEEDAWG tales. Maybe one day you will even let Kia take paw to the computer and tell her own stories. ;)

kobieeli
11-02-2001, 11:32 AM
Kim, I'd been wondering where on earth you'd got to lately--I recall that we joined the board at roughly the same time this past summer, and we both have adopted female ACD mixes with big ol' ears! Now that I know what happened, I'm so sorry to hear about your health...but so grateful that you have that beautiful girl Kia! Get on the mend soon, okay? :)

ramanth
11-02-2001, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by kobieeli:
<STRONG>Kim, I'd been wondering where on earth you'd got to lately--I recall that we joined the board at roughly the same time this past summer, and we both have adopted female ACD mixes with big ol' ears! Now that I know what happened, I'm so sorry to hear about your health...but so grateful that you have that beautiful girl Kia! Get on the mend soon, okay? :)</STRONG>

Heya Kobeeli! Sorry about the dissapearing act. Work was nuts on top of the health issues. Glad to be back though.

Kia got a bit excited when Michael got home the other day. She has a way of springing from couch to couch and unfortunately I was napping on the couch. She didn't pull open any of the incisions but I'm very sore again and I'm waiting to hear from the doctor to see if he wants me to come in to make sure no internal damage was done.

I think everything is fine but better safe than sorry.

Poor Kia was a wreck keeping busy with licking my tears for the next 15 minutes. "I'm sorry mommy!" WHIMPER, Lick, Lick... repeat.

~Kimmy

purrley
11-02-2001, 12:46 PM
Kim - never ceases to amaze me how perceptive these canine dear hearts are. I've heard all the stories and how they use dogs to sniff out medical maladies. WOW is there anything these super guys can't do? :)

sammi
11-02-2001, 02:36 PM
Kim, you have a wonderful dog! I think sometimes are pets are more sensitive than we are.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: sammi ]

tatsxxx11
11-02-2001, 04:46 PM
Oh my, where to begin!!! Kia, you are a glorious God given gift to your beautiful Momma! Bless you sweet girl. You are truly a hero :) And I have a feeling that a very, very special, life long friendship has only just begun!! I loved your photos. And congratulations on winning the "look a like" contest :) Yes, you both ARE beautiful!! I wish you the best as you await your test results. I know for sure Kia will be there at your side, supporting you every step of the way! Hope you stay with us! And thank you for sharing the story of the magnificent Kia with us!!

ramanth
11-02-2001, 07:14 PM
Awww!! Ya'll are going to make me cry!

The doctor wanted to see me after I told him about Kia trying to use me as a trampoline. LOL! Well there is no damage done but I now have a cold on top of my recovery. The doc said coughing will not help so he put me on more antibiotics.

And my biopsy results came back. I do have Endometriosis. *sighs* I think from the sounds of it, it was caught early. Lord only knows how bad it would of gotten. *HUGS KIA*

She's my angel.

~Kimmy

ktreva52
11-02-2001, 07:42 PM
Man! A blue-eyed Cattle Dog -- fantastic! I agree, you ought to post this story on the "It's A Miracle" site. If this isn't an example of God working in someone's life, I don't know what is. All the dogs you COULD have adopted and you get one that saves you tremendous amounts of pain and, potentially, your life. Lots of hugs and kisses to beautiful Kia and to you and your doctor for "listening" to her. A lot of medical people would have blown it off. Good going, Doctor!

Please keep us posted on how you're doing and what Kia is up to.

crow_noir
11-06-2001, 12:17 AM
OMG ! ! ! *HUGS* your story is like one of those in the Chicken Soup books. my thoughts are w/ you and you family.

ramanth
11-06-2001, 09:03 AM
Awwww thanks guys. I'm glad you think so.

I'm doing alright... I have a cold now and two of the three incisions have healed up. :)

I need to get that pic of Kia scanned so I can submit her for Dog of the Day. :D

~Kimmy

karen israel
11-07-2001, 12:57 PM
Hi, Kim..too bad you have Endometriosis but the good thing is that you caught it before more damage was done. I've had it for years, so if you want to Email me, please do, but I guess everyone will try and give you advise!
Anyway..Kia is a beauty! They say the eyes are the mirror of the soul! I know you are so proud of her! Not only are they wonderful, loving, fun and smart, they possess an incredible 6th sense-it's amazing!
Take care of ALL of you!! My email at home is [email protected] if you want it.

Sudilar
11-08-2001, 07:23 PM
Kim, so sorry that you are ill. I'm glad you have Kia to help you through all this. I'll be thinking about you. Get well quick!