PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your dog?

allanimalswelcome
07-27-2003, 06:54 PM
I'm curious does anyone do any of these activities with their pooches?

Abker
07-27-2003, 08:14 PM
I do agility with my BC x!!!!:D

iceyshiver21
07-27-2003, 08:21 PM
I wish there was multiple choice :(
I do Agility, Obediance, Showmanship, and Show them. :)

Kfamr
07-27-2003, 08:23 PM
I Love them, that wasn't on the poll though.:p

ChloeLove
07-27-2003, 08:30 PM
None of them, lol! Chloe is just too lazy and too old. We got her when she was about 5, so she was well past training to do any of those. :( I wish I could though. When we bring her to the dog park though, she DOES love running as fast as she can! Does that count? ;):p

Crikit
07-27-2003, 08:42 PM
I do agility with my dogs and we all love it.

Glacier
07-27-2003, 09:03 PM
None of those activities--we sled, skijor, & weightpull.

RogueFerret
07-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Non of those. Valientine is seven years old, so she's a little bit lazy in her middle-age. (Not that she was that active anyway);)
And Max...well, he's a little TOO active right now. LOL! I'm still working on the house-breaking thing with him.

Sevens
07-27-2003, 11:33 PM
We don't do any of those things, but we are thinking of starting both of them in weightpull.

The local dog park has something called RDOG...Richmond Dog Owners Group. One of the members has two malamutes and he is going to set up a fully sanctioned weight pull here in October hopefully.

I think Bailey and Guinness both would be good at it. The way they pull when we go for walks almost pulls me over. Bailey is on a Halti, but Guinness isn't. If Bailey wasn't on the Halti, the combined pulling would probably pull me over and they'd drag me down the street! :rolleyes:

There's this page for this lady who does harnesses for these events...www.harnessesbycarol.com and there is a picture of a Jack Russell who is pulling 415 pounds! It's under Weight Pull Pictures.:eek:

doglovrforevr
07-28-2003, 12:52 AM
We are going to train Rusty in agility. His trainer says he is a natural agility prospect and she is a judge in showing.:D

wolfsoul
07-28-2003, 01:27 AM
None . :( But when I'm older, I plan to do agility, conformation weightpulling, carting, and diving and obedience. If I can only choose, one, then I'd pick agility. Muchly fun. :D

Dobiegirl24
07-28-2003, 06:21 AM
i need multiple choice, lol, i haven't started anything yet with my two, we are still training, but i'm going to do obedience with both, agility prolly with both, and flyball with pepper:D

lovemyshiba
07-28-2003, 07:32 AM
We were thinking of doing agility with Kito, but his stubborn nature would make it pretty tough.
Riley seems like he would be pretty good at it though, I just have to find somewhere to go for it!!

cloverfdx
07-28-2003, 09:03 AM
FLYBALL as you can plainly tell ;)

but also obedience, thought about agility but only if i joined a different dog club for that one (most of the agility people at our club are not the nicest)

i would love to do herding on day, and also go to a fun day for lure coursing with clover.

oh heck id love to do everything:o but just dont have the time or money for that matter :D

dobiegirl may i ask what breed of dog pepper is? just wondering

Dobiegirl24
07-28-2003, 09:27 AM
Pepper's a Doberman:D

pitc9
07-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Neither of my pups do much of anything like that!!!
Buddy's fav thing to do is spend every waking second touching me to make sure I don't leave him!!! (silly silly boy!)

And Sierra, she ... umm... sleeps......howles at passing fire trucks ... yeah....that's about it!!!

cloverfdx
07-28-2003, 09:56 AM
dobiegirl Awwww dobermanns are an awsome breed :)

we dont seem to see dobies doing flyball over here in Australia, but i have heard they are great at it :) so good luck with your training

Dobiegirl24
07-28-2003, 10:14 AM
lol, they are;) :D

Tina
07-28-2003, 12:39 PM
None. But Ginger does like to play "fetch" with the ball or one of her stuffies. Sometimes Ginger runs around the yard like crazy when she is really hyper.

Ruff doesn't do to much anymore sometimes he likes to play fetch though.

Airedalekisses
07-28-2003, 06:21 PM
Used to show all the terriers- a lot of work-grooming-the stripping of the hair; the trimming; the chalk to make the hair nice and wiry. Whew, one year I lost 19 pounds just running with them in the ring.

allanimalswelcome
07-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Just curious,

My mom told me that show dogs can't be fixed or otherwise they can't compete. Is this true?

lovemyshiba
07-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by allanimalswelcome
Just curious,

My mom told me that show dogs can't be fixed or otherwise they can't compete. Is this true?

Yes

I believe someone more knowledgeable can provide you with the reasoning (like Airedalekisses perhaps), but from what I was told, it was because the dogs couldn't be "altered" in any way, however I could be wrong.

wolfsoul
07-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by allanimalswelcome
Just curious,

Yes this is true. :( Too bad really. They like them to show as much "masculinity" and "femininity" as possible.

Dobiegirl24
07-28-2003, 08:56 PM
they don't alter them b/c the whole purpose of conformation(showing) is to chose breeding stock, so an altered dog would not be of much use;)

iceyshiver21
07-29-2003, 12:02 AM
I show in 4H. An they allow Altered doggies :)

ParNone
07-29-2003, 11:59 AM
I do agility with my Collie, Oz and we're having a blast!

I wish I'd have discovered Earthdog trials, when my terriers
were young enough to participate. I know they both would
have loved that.

Par...