PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Roxy is really spayed.

Tonya
07-27-2003, 12:24 AM
I don't think Roxy is really spayed.

When I adopted Roxy, they told me she was spayed. -But she still has periods. None of my other female dogs ever had periods after they were spayed...Any ideas?

Fox-Gal
07-27-2003, 12:34 AM
I had that happen with one of my cats....now I have Kittens!!
I'd have to say no....Roxy has not been spayed. Take Roxy to the vet...and ask though.

Koneko_kokoro
07-27-2003, 12:56 AM
dogs aren't suposed to get their periods after being spayed are they?
hmmm.... maybe they made a mistake.

wolfsoul
07-27-2003, 01:01 AM
Sounds like it may be tubal ligation. The act of snipping the falopian tubes, not allowing sperm to be passed through the the eggs, but still allowing her to have her heats. The problem with tubal ligation in dogs is that is can reverse itself in the future -- A dog can still become preggers.

I'd take her to th vet and see if maybe she had tubal ligation. Either way, she needs to be spayed the better way. :)

CathyBogart
07-27-2003, 02:41 AM
I agree. For health as well as reproduction reasons she needs to have it dome right. :)

puppygrrl4eva7
07-27-2003, 09:40 AM
I didn't know dogs had periods

CathyBogart
07-27-2003, 01:01 PM
They do. Star was in heat when we got her and she left little red drips everywhere. -_-

wolfsoul
07-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by puppygrrl4eva7

Yeah, they bleed...It's very annoying lol. We didn't spay Leather until she was 7 years old, and so that's what we had to deal with for seven years! :eek: Blood on the carpets, blood on the couch. It's not terribly convenient..

lovemyshiba
07-27-2003, 03:29 PM
Tonya,
I would take Roxy in to be checked--I doubt you want puppies!

Also, maybe it is something else--wouldn't hurt to get the vet's opinion.

popcornbird
07-27-2003, 07:08 PM

Me neither. :eek::eek::eek:

Do all mammals have periods? :confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do they sell pads for dogs? :eek:

CamCamPup33
07-27-2003, 07:21 PM
lol pcb yes they kinda sell these dippar (SP) things to fit over the dogs butt and a tail spot and everything its kinda like a doggie pad.. lol the package looks ssooooo funny tho :D

Wolfchan- thanks for sharing that lovely information ;) :p im just joking.. lol

wolfsoul
07-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

lol, nope. :) That's another reason why most people don't think of altering their rodents. ;)

puppygrrl4eva7
07-28-2003, 12:47 PM
lol who'd want to change a doggie pad.:rolleyes: how old are they when they start, I mean do they have periods since they are born and how ften do they get them ? once a month?

wolfsoul
07-28-2003, 01:16 PM
lol who'd want to change a doggie pad.:rolleyes: how old are they when they start, I mean do they have periods since they are born and how ften do they get them ? once a month?

Most dogs don't get them until about 5-6 months. (giant dogs will have them later, as they mature alot later). Timber had hers at six months, and that's when we got her spayed.

tikeyas_mom
07-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Do they sell pads for dogs? :eek:

lol yers they have these diper things that they sell in pet stores for dogs who are in heat, Tikeya only bleed when she first went into heat and after that she only discharged.

I have lil period stains all over my duvay thanks to her. :rolleyes:.

no not all animals get their periods, rodents like hamsters and rats and gerbils dont bleed when they are in heat.

Tonya
07-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Here is the email that I received from the rescue lady...word for word, spelling for spelling. lol. I'm thinking...what do you mean, don't tell the vet she was supposed to be spayed? I already thought that paying $250 for a rescue dog that is filthy and cooped in a cage was shady enough...now that little comment? I swear, if Roxy isn't spayed, I am shutting her down. I had emailed her and asked her who the vet was that spayed her. She didn't give me a name in her response. (It really doesn't matter, I'm taking Roxy to my vet anyways.)

Hi Tonya

Yes, Roxy was spay, check the floder I gave you. It will have her spay cerf in it. Do me a favor, when you take Roxy in, don't tell them she was suppost to be spay. Then let me know what they say.

lovemyshiba
07-28-2003, 06:50 PM
weird!!!

I will be interested to hear how this comes out--let us know what happens with dear Roxy and the crazy lady!!

kingrattus
07-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Maybe the lady really did send Roxy in to be spayed & the vet didn't do it. Maybe shes had other complaints too & is trying to figureout things.

sabies
07-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Good luck Tonya in getting to the bottom of this. Best wishes to Roxy and when the procedure (if needed) is done you can find out who made the mistake. Something sounds shady, whether it be the vet or that lady.