PDA

View Full Version : Finch

tikeyas_mom
07-26-2003, 09:07 PM
I took Spankys passing hard, I know it has only been 3 days or so since he has left this world and went to the Rainbow Bridge. I miss him much.

I look at his old cage and feel so sad with it empty. I would wish to add a birdy addition or two, to my house and fill my room with the cherping it once had.

Cheeko and Spring are fine by the way, they havent had any contect with Spanky *while he was alive* for around 2 months, I dont feel it nessisary to take them both to the vet at this time.

Cheeko and Spring would come into my room but it isnt a good inviroment for them, they are used to being outside and having the wild birds and the cool breeze always around, *wild birds never come in contact with Spring or Cheeko*.

Since I kinda dont have the best of luck with tamming birds, though Cheeko is much better, I this I want to go for a bird breed that is less complicated to care for then a budgie or cockatiel.

So I did some research and I was thinking about getting two male Finches, what do you think????

please try not to critisize, thanks ;)

info: Want a "low maintenance" Parrot? Finches make great pets for bird fanciers that do not have the time or space for larger pet bird species. Small and beautiful, Finches will delight their owners as they flit about their cages, chattering to each other and displaying interesting bird behavior. Finches can be kept alone in a cage, or in groups in a larger aviary. These small and colorful birds are quiet as birds go, with their noise level closely matching their diminuative size. Finches are a good choice for beginning bird fanciers and breeders.

They are available in and array of colors, the most common being Zebra (Poephila guttata) and Society (Lonchura domestica) Finches.

magcpen
07-26-2003, 09:32 PM
If getting a finch helps you deal with the loss, than you should get one. Just don't try to replace Spanky, you won't be able to. But if you recognize these birds as a pet independent of Spanky, then it's a great idea and you should use it. I hope that helps, and I wish you the best of luck. :)

magcpen
07-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Oops.... I posted the message twice, sorry.

tikeyas_mom
07-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by magcpen
If getting a finch helps you deal with the loss, than you should get one. Just don't try to replace Spanky, you won't be able to. But if you recognize these birds as a pet independent of Spanky, then it's a great idea and you should use it. I hope that helps, and I wish you the best of luck. :)

thanks for the advise.

CathyBogart
07-27-2003, 02:33 AM
It depends on the type of finch. The two most common named in your original post are the easiest to care for, but Zebras do not always mix well with other species. My co-worker has a society finch and a canary that re wonderful cagemates. :) They love each other, and the canary still sings!

When you start getting into some of the more unusual finches the care can be more specific. Gouldian finches, for example, are much more finicky about their general environment, and not nearly as hardy as a society or zebra finch. However, if you can giv ethem the environment they need....WOW!

http://vbspcawildlife.com/gouldian.JPG

tikeyas_mom
07-27-2003, 01:06 PM
they are very beautiful :eek:.

unfortunitly they dont sell they beautiful bird here they only sell zebras and beigh colored ones.