PDA

View Full Version : Black Nails?

magcpen
07-26-2003, 07:44 PM
I was reading some old posts and everyone seemed to dread clipping their dogs black nails and someone commented on a white nail. What's special about black and white nails? Thanks, I'm just curious.

Kfamr
07-26-2003, 07:51 PM
Black nails it's hard to see the dog's vein in the nail, therefore some people are afraid to accidently clip too far and hit the vein causing their dog pain and bleeding.

White nails most of the time you can easily see the vein so you won't clip it.

magcpen
07-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Thank you, I never knew dogs had veins in their nails. My aunt has two dogs, but normally I'm thinking more about their cuteness than their nails, lol. ;)

Kfamr
07-26-2003, 07:55 PM
You're welcome. :)

I hate trimming their nails because even with white nails i'm so afraid of cutting the veins. I just trim them a little tiny bit then let the vet deal with the *big* cut.

puppygrrl4eva7
07-27-2003, 11:39 AM
I've never trimmed Ringo's nails, but the last time we went to the vet they trimmed his nails, ever since then they have been kind of scratchy:rolleyes: I think I need to file them down some

iceyshiver21
07-28-2003, 12:13 AM
All Annie's are Black and Odies are black and white

[b] TIP- For a dog with black nails- Take your finger under the nail and feel for the quick before cutting. Look at your dogs nails often memorising about the area of the quick is, it makes it easier to find.

binka_nugget
07-28-2003, 12:34 AM
:DThank god Kai's are mostly white. His nails on his two front paws are white but his back paws have a couple of black ones. I try trimming every week during our big grooming session. So far, I've been lucky and not hit the quick yet.

puppygrrl4eva7
07-28-2003, 08:25 PM
What's the Quick?:confused:

sabies
07-28-2003, 08:42 PM
The quick is the flesh in the nails that will bleed if you cut too close. Sadie's nails are way too long, they seem to grow right back the day after I cut them.

wolf_Q
07-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by sabies
The quick is the flesh in the nails that will bleed if you cut too close. Sadie's nails are way too long, they seem to grow right back the day after I cut them.

If she's good about it try cutting them every 1-2 days for a while...eventually you will get them back to the correct length. The quick receeds when the nails are clipped. Reggie's nails used to get really long when my dad clipped them (like every 3 months :rolleyes: ) but now I clip them as much as I do Nebo's...about once a week...and they are the right length now.

For black nails the easiest thing to do is to just clip a little bit off at a time.

pitc9
07-30-2003, 07:28 AM
Wolf_Q is so right!
Both of my pups have black nails, and all I do is clip a little bit off at a time. I clip nails every week!

binka_nugget
07-30-2003, 02:52 PM
:D Yep, I find it best to cut frequently. I heard that cutting it more frequently will help make the quick receed a bit.

kingrattus
07-31-2003, 09:43 AM
I have been cutting Max's black nails for 9 1/2 years now & never have I hurt him. He always lays in his side & I take his paw & turn it so I can see under the nail & I cut right at the tip of the quick, except for the broken toe, I but the clipers on & ever so slowly start to cut & if he twitches I'm hurtimg him & if he doesn't move Then I'm dead on.

I even cut bunny nails. when we had Zoe