PDA

View Full Version : I finally found the perfect dog for my home...

wolflady
07-25-2003, 10:47 PM
...and he was adopted right out from under me! :( I know this will probably seem trivial for most of you, but here is what happened today at the shelter.

I went in as usual and helped take pictures of the cats for the shelter website. Later, I went through the kennels, and there was a dog that I have been eyeballing for a couple of weeks now that I decided to take out in the yard. I guess I should have done it sooner.
Anyway, I took this dog out in the kennel and I tell you, it was absolute love! This dog sat in my lap (well, he tried, as he's a GSD he's a little big for lap sitting). He just sat there and let me love him. When I initiated play, he just followed me...almost as if he were glued to my leg. It was the most heartwarming thing. He was so calm, and quiet and non-dog agressive. I went inside and asked the shelter director if he knew if the dog was cat tolerant. They told me to bring the dog inside and test him on the shelter resident cat, Bob. I brought the dog inside on leash and he could have cared less about the cat! I brought him into the adoptable cat room, where there are a couple of resident free roaming cats, and still no reaction. Just a sniff and that was all! I couldn't believe my luck! Here was a GSD male, that was quiet, got along with dogs and cats and was calm with people! What a perfect addition to my home! Sue (one of the directors) told me to fill out "foster" paperwork, so I could take him home and test him out. I knew I had to get agreement from my husband first (and I really felt it in my heart that if Aaron would have seen this dog, he would have agreed to give it a try under Foster conditions. I've never felt it so strongly as I did today). So, I told Sue I would bring him in tomorrow (saturday).

So, anyway, I took the dog back outside in the yard, and these people ended up coming in. Now, usually it's shelter policy that if you're interested in a dog, you get a kennel attendant or volunteer to take the dog out with you. Well, I already had this dog out in the yard, and these people didn't even ask if they could come in. They just did. They were like, Oh! It's the German Shepherd! They didn't even inquire if I was interested in the dog. There were like 6 unruly kids and 2 women. They tried to get the dog to come to them, but it stayed with me and tried climbing into my lap. The lady got up and said, Oh my gosh! What a sweet dog! I have to have it, and before I knew it, she was inside filling out the papers. I don't know why this has really affected me so much, but I just think that was so rude. I did say I was interested in the dog (and I was first), but they didn't care. I don't know if I'll ever find a dog that compatible for my home again, and just the fact that Aaron agreed to coming in tomorrow is amazing. I have been wanting a dog for years, and it simply got away. On top of it all, after she took my dog from me, I was so mad that I went back in the cat room and all 6 of the brats that were in the yard came into the cat room and starting taking out kittens and spraying them with the cage antiseptic cleaner!!! Kids aren't supposed to handle kittens unless their parents are present, and trying to watch 6 unruly kids grabbing kittens and dropping them was really tough. Of course I was more edgy than normal because of the dog situation. But, the woman could have come in and watched her brats. I'm not there to babysit.

I cried all the way home tonight. Am I overreacting? I know this probably isn't a big deal, but I think it's just the fact that this lady didn't ask to come in the yard or if I was interested in the dog before rushing in with her checkbook, that really rubbed me the wrong way. I can't believe that my husband was actually in agreement to let me try the dog here at all! He just couldn't get in there until tomorrow, but that's too late. Too bad for me. That temperment was so wonderful! The dog clearly liked me better too, when it was staying by me in the yard and not going to those people. Ugh!! Sorry, I just had to vent. Maybe it's not meant to be for me to have a dog. I'll never find one like this ever again...:(

**sad**
Karen

Pam
07-25-2003, 11:24 PM
:mad: :mad: Boy this story made me mad! I know how much you have been wanting a dog. I can remember posts from long ago when you mentioned that. This dog truly sounded like a great match for your family and the fact that your hubby was willing to give him a try was such good news. I got such a sweet mental picture of you interracting with this dog and really was hoping it was going to work out. I can't figure out how that woman was able to snatch him up so quickly! Wasn't he considered "on hold" for you? :(

In the shelter where I got Ripley the adoption couldn't have happened that fast. Prospective adopters had to fill out an application and then wait 7 days. That was because most of the animals there were strays and there had to be ample time for their owners to come and claim them. Was this dog a stray or a turn in?

This woman and her 6 kids sound awful! I am so sorry thinking that he will be going to such a home. I know how loved he would have been with you. I keep going from sad to mad here. Maybe she will get him home and decide she doesn't want to keep him.

Karen I feel so badly for you. I know how it is to "click" with an animal, as I remember how I felt when I first saw Ripley. If someone else had gotten him ahead of me I would have been just as upset as you are. In fact the day I went to pick him up I was afraid right up until I walked outside with him. Even then I was worried that his real owners would be walking in as I was leaving and claim him back.

Maybe she will change her mind. Oh this story has me so sorry for you and so concerned for the poor dog. I hated reading about how those brats were treating the kittens. :mad: Oh I hope she changes her mind. ((((hugs))))

sabies
07-26-2003, 05:17 AM
That is very upsetting. I lost a dog at a shelter once too. I went in one day on my way to work, found a great dog, and asked to put him on hold til the next day. They didn't have a way to do that so I took my chances (I couldn't leave a new dog alone while I was at work). I called when they closed, the dog was still there. I had asked when they opened the next day and was there waiting when they opened (with someone turning in her dog of 11 years :mad: ) only to find out the dog I wanted was selected to go to a FLEA MARKET where he was given away to someone. They could have taken a different dog or simply told me to go to the flea market when I inquired!!! It was the same people working there and they recognized me right away!

Anyway, I found Sadie at a different shelter shortly after that, and of course we would not be together if that had not happened. Sadie is a quiet mellow dog too and I know she would not be happy in a house of unruly kids. Keep an eye out for the dog to return to the shelter - it does happen a lot. It's a shame the people there who know you and know you have been responsibly looking for the right dog would not hold the dog for you.

I wish you the best in finding your dog! You will find one if this one does not return.

Sevens
07-26-2003, 05:46 AM
I'm am so sorry this happened to you! I kind of wonder though, if she couldn't handle her 6 kids, how is she gonna be able to handle a dog too?

I hope you find what you are looking for again soon. It'll happen.:)

pitc9
07-26-2003, 06:51 AM
I am verry sorry!! I feel bad for you, I know your sad and upset.

But I have found out that the saying:

"Everything happens for a reason"

is soooooooo true!!! Hold tight!! I'm sure another dog will find you!!:)

anna_66
07-26-2003, 08:13 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about this:(

It sounds like this dog would have been perfect for you. I just don't understand how someone could just come in like that & take this guy right out from under you:confused:
I know you must feel bad for the dog seeing as how the mother didn't even care about how her children were acting:mad:

Again, so sorry:(

MaxandSpike'sMom
07-26-2003, 08:56 AM
I feel so bad for you! But hang in there...Maybe there is a different plan for you and that certain dog who really needs you will find his/her way to you. Don't give up on looking for that dog that will suit your household I'm sure he/she is out there somewhere!

Just pray that the dog that got adopted is going to be well taken care of!!!

wolflady
07-26-2003, 12:51 PM
Thanks everyone. I just felt I was being so overemotional over a dog I had only known for 45 minutes. I literally couldn't sleep last night either. :( I'm still so upset by this...jeesh!

I guess I should have gone ahead and filled out the papers. They couldn't put him on "hold" for me, because there usually is a dog I'm interested in and the fact that I have to convince Aaron first made me halt. I should have gone with my gut instinct. For some reason, deep down, I knew Aaron would agree to let me try this dog if he came in today and saw him. I can't believe that Aaron agreed to give it a go!! I have been waiting for like 5 years for the perfect dog! I guess it's my fault for not acting sooner. I have been eyeing that dog for 2 weeks now. If only I had gotten him out sooner. I can't believe what an instant bond I had with this dog. I've been working at that shelter for a little over 2 months now, so I've seen lots of dogs come and go. I've taken out quite a few, and many have been nice, but they all have been too much for a family like mine. Aaron wants a calm, quiet dog that likes cats. This definitely was it.
Does anyone want to call the shelter for me and mention they should let me take the dog and not the rude woman? ;) :P
I know this dog is too sweet for anyone to give up. I know the inconsiderate lady will keep him. If the dog hadn't been intact, they would have taken him yesterday, but he has to be neutered, so they have to wait until Monday to pick him up. :(

Pam, I'm so glad that your shelter has a holding period. It's just better for possibly background checks and also to see how serious a person is about adopting, ya know? I think this dog was just picked up somewhere. We usually have a 4 day holding period right when the animal first comes in, to see if any owners step up to the plate. After that, it's first come first serve. If an animal is already fixed, anyone can just come in there, see an animal for 2 minutes and then go home with it that same day!!

I agree, we do seem to let animals go too quickly. There should be background checks for the animals, because I don't know how many times we've seen cats or dogs returned. It's just the fact that this lady knew I was interested in the dog and didn't care that bugs me. Just because I had to wait until today to have Aaron look at the dog made me lose out.

Sabies, that's horrible! :mad: Why on earth would a shelter give a dog to a flea market when you clearly wanted to adopt him/her and were there whey they opened?? That's just awful. I can imagine how you felt. :(

Yes, I guess I should accept that everything happens for a reason. Maybe there is another furry friend that needs me. I just hope I find a dog of my dreams with that temperment again someday... :(

gini
07-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Oh Karen, I am so sorry that you did not get this dog. You have mentioned how badly you would like to get a dog.

Perhaps he will be returned to your shelter! Ask them to let you know immediately if this happens.

Hugs to you

wolflady
07-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Thanks Gini. Well, I just remembered this morning that I had left my sunglasses outside at the shelter, so Aaron and I swung by there today to see if they were still there. I don't know why I torture myself, but I had to see that dog one last time. I wanted Aaron to get an idea of the personality I am looking for in a dog. I took the dog out and it loved Aaron! It did the same thing with him, he put his 2 front paws in Aaron's lap and pulled himself up as far as he could get and licked Aaron's face. Aaron actually laughed and seemed to have a good repoir with the dog. I got depressed and had to put the dog back in its kennel. His kennel card has the big word ADOPTED written across it. :mad: I think I'm just more mad at how rude that woman was. She knew I wanted that dog but couldn't do anything about it until today. She even had enough nerve to tell me yesterday "Oh, I'm so upset I can't take him today but have to wait ALL weekend for the surgery"! I just rolled my eyes and said, well, imagine how I feel, I've only waited 5 years for the perfect dog. Her response was, oh well, I've had people adopt dogs right out from me too.
*sigh*
I don't know why I'm so upset! I hate this!! :(

Sorry, I know I'm sounding childish here. I guess it's because nobody else will understand, but you all! ;) **hugs**
There are worse things going on in the world. I guess I just don't want a sweet dog like that to get a home with a rude inconsiderate woman and 6 brats! Ugh!
:(

doglovrforevr
07-26-2003, 06:32 PM
:( :( Karen, I'm sooo sorry! I can't believe that person would even consider having a dog with the way her children act. It would only make things harder for her. Serves her right if you ask me. Maybe it will be to much and she will give the dog back. Rusty and I are hoping.

wolflady
07-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Thank you doglovrforevr, I'm kinda hoping she does return the dog too :o But, I know she won't. That dog is just too darn sweet! *sigh*

**hugs**
Karen

aly
07-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Karen :( I'm going to email you.

KYS
07-26-2003, 08:41 PM
Karen,

I am so sorry,
This lady certainly did sound very pushy and rude.
(6 unruley kids does sound dreadful) :(

This GSD sounds very special indeed.
If their is no possible way you can have him at
this point, I hope this family will give him a good home.

Karen

wolflady
07-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Yes, I hope he at least bonds with them like he did with me in the short time I knew him, and ends up having a good family despite their rudeness to me. I just couldn't believe how he didn't want to go over to them, but stayed in my lap. The rude lady just kept telling her brats "oh, well, he just needs to bond with us like he did with her". I just still can't get over how rude she was! Clearly the dog liked me and I wanted him and she could have cared less:( :mad: Ugh!

A neighbor wants to go over to the shelter today, so I am going to take her. She'll get to see my dream dog, and I will too one more time. I don't think I will take him out though. I would probably break down! :( *sigh*

NoahsMommy
07-27-2003, 04:04 PM
I'm so sorry Karen. When I talked to you on Friday, I knew how much you wanted that baby boy. :(

It makes me mad that they just took the first one that said they wanted him, especially after you told them you wanted him. What is it with shelter-volunteer disloyalty?? Don't think they don't like you, it happens at our shelter too...remember my meezer kitten? :mad: :mad: :mad: It just sucks so much sometimes. :(

Hey, did you show Aaron your kitten??? Maybe he'll feel bad the dog didn't work out and let you have that amazing kitten!!

wolflady
07-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I thought that was really strange that they didn't ask me before signing the dog over, especially after all the volunteering that I do.
Yes, I showed Aaron that kitten yesterday when I went to find my sunglasses. He wasn't interested, especially with Sergei being so rambunctious. LOL We figure we need to add a young cat every 3-5 years to keep our older cats active! LOL

There was also a meezer girl kitten there and I thought of you! She was just precious! :D

Rachel
07-27-2003, 05:02 PM
This thread does have me so upset. As a volunteer at this shelter, they could have given you the consideration of holding the dog until you talked to your husband. Also a quiet sensitive dog like this may not take well to rowdy children. I would asj them to put a special note in the file somewhere that if this dog comes back, you should be called immediately. Maybe they will even change their minds before the dog is picked up. This could be a situation of her wanting it just because she saw you wanting it. :(

gini
07-27-2003, 05:08 PM
Karen, I totally agree. I have kept quiet about this, but it has me upset too.

The shelter should have considered your thoughts and wishes FIRST! Is there anyone there that you can talk to?

tatsxxx11
07-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Oh Karen...my heart breaks for you:( I know that shelter placement criteria might not be as strict as it is with private rescue groups, but surely, as a shelter rep., they might have given you a bit of extra cnsideration, taken the time to consider the BEST possible home for this deserving pup. Perhaps it may be unkind to say, but this famiy does not appear to be appropriate candidates for this dog. And while I may be wrong, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that within weeks, this dog will be surrendered. As Rachel has said, should that occur, I surely hope the shelter would place him with you. I'm so sorry.:( {{{HUGS}}}

lizbud
07-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Karen,

That's got to be a big disappointment to you & probably to
the GSD as well. Is there any way you could get the Shelter
to call you the minute he should happen to be returned? This
sounds so unfair to you & the poor dog.I do agree that that
family does not sound like the place for any animal. I hope
they bring him back soon.

wolflady
07-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will talk to the shelter director tomorrow and ask that if the dog is returned, I want to be contacted ASAP so I can take him. I'm curious as to what Sue and Phil's reactions will be. I really don't think they thought I was serious, so they went ahead and adopted the dog out. Rachel, I have to wonder if that is why she was so quick to run in and adopt the dog. As soon as I said that I wanted him, she ran inside and left me outside with her friend and the brats. Nice, huh? It sure does look like she did that because of my interest in the dog. Nice, huh?

I went in today with my friend and neighbor because she had never been there and wanted to see what I do. So, we went over there and I showed her around the shelter and all, and of course I showed her "my" dog. There was a new GSD mix that was picked up yesterday, so my neighbor asked me if we could take that dog out. That dog was nice, but really not interested in people. While we were in the yard, "my" dog started howling and crying from his kennel! Poor guy! :( I decided we should put the other dog away and leave, because that was just too heartwrenching. My neighbor couldn't believe it! She said she looked over to where the kennels were, and saw "my" dog standing up on his hind feet to see what we were doing in the outdoor run, and he was howling! *sigh*

I will let you all know what happens tomorrow.
**hugs**
Karen

lizbud
07-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Karen,

Do you mean those people don't actually have "your" dog
yet? He's still at the Shelter? There might still be hope that
the family with the bratty kids won't pass a home inspection.
If it's up to an evaluator at the Shelter, make your desires to
Shelter management known LOUD AND CLEAR. Very best of
luck to you. Liz & Smokey.:D

pitc9
07-28-2003, 10:23 AM
Oh how I hope and pray that this woman ends up not getting "your dog"

I hope for the best for you!!!
Sierra and Buddy do as well!!!:D

apcrs5122
07-28-2003, 11:25 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry that you didn't get him. That woman made me mad:mad: How rude can people get? And about her kids in the cat room really ticks me off. I've seen little kids do that too, and the parents start yelling at me because I nicely said to the kids that you wern't supposed to handle the animals without a volunteer or staff member. So I just left and told someone at the front desk about them.

I really wish that you could have gotten him. He sounded like the perfect dog.
Let us know what happens.

ramanth
07-28-2003, 03:06 PM
OHHHHH!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

I agree with what Liz said. I'd call or go to the shelter and implore them to do a house check or make sure that family is compatible with the GSD (which it sounds like they are not)

When I was interested in Kia, I asked if they would hold her for me and they said they couldn't. I couldn't get the day off work, so I made plans to get her as soon as quitting time arrived.

Just before I left, I called to find out if Kia was still there and they said, "Sorry she's been adopted." and I started bawling... and the woman seemed shocked and asked for my name. I gave it to her and she said... "Oh hon! Don't cry! YOU'VE adopted her!"

and then I did cry with happiness and rushed right over to get her. :) Despite what someone else at the shelter told me, they had held her for me.

KYS
07-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Liz had a great idea.
A home inspection!!!

Ramanth, my heart sunk when I was reading your post,
but than I started grinning from ear to ear.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Just before I left, I called to find out if Kia was still there and they said, "Sorry she's been adopted." and I started bawling... and the woman seemed shocked and asked for my name. I gave it to her and she said... "Oh hon! Don't cry! YOU'VE adopted her!"

aly
07-28-2003, 11:21 PM
Karen -

I was thinking about you today. I hope everything has worked out for the best. I hope you got my email too :(