PDA

View Full Version : Digging to Japan

lovemyshiba
07-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Ugh!!!!

We finally have grass and a nice yard, and there was a chipmunk hole out back by the tree. Well, nosy and nosier found it, and won't leave it alone. (Kito and Abbey). Abbey dug at it at first, and got bored with it, but not Kito--I think we should hire him out to dig fence posts for people.
When they go out, he dashes for that spot, and lays on it so the other 2 don't come near it. I have filled it countless times, and today I put some bricks on top of it--he dug around them.

I recently found a website that said Shibas miss their country of origin (Japan), and have a tendency to try to get back!!

That spot will not grow grass, I know because it has been dug up so many times.

Someone at work told me to try cayenne pepper, and I was thinking of getting the stuff that keeps the dogs from digging or chewing (can't remember what it is called)--last resort, I suppose I will get a little fence and put it around there until it grows, and Chip can find himself a new home.

Any other ideas??????????

micki76
07-25-2003, 10:16 AM
None other than what you already said. I'd try to fence it off, that's the easiest way, and it will allow the grass to grow there. We had to do that with Chester, too. We had a mole and he wouldn't leave the spot alone. We finally went to Home Depot and bought a small bale of inexpensive chicken wire and fenced it off with that for a couple of months. We've since used that entire roll of wire for several other places we just didn’t want him in for one reason or another. That was 4 years ago and we’re on our 4-5 roll now! Very handy stuff! :D

CamCamPup33
07-25-2003, 01:05 PM
hehe put some concrete in the hole.. :D ;)

aly
07-25-2003, 01:22 PM
Sometimes putting their poop in the hole works :o Cayenne pepper seems to work a bit better.

You could also buy a kiddie pool and fill it with sand. Put it in your backyard and teach them that the sand is the appropriate place to dig. Since digging is natural for dogs, its easier to give them an appropriate outlet rather than stopping them altogether. They should have fun with the little sand pit. Bury some of their toys in the sand or even some milkbones or something. If you do bury treats, be sure to remove them if your dogs don't find them so you dont get ants.

Good luck!! :)

wolfsoul
07-25-2003, 01:59 PM
I heard that putting eggs in the hole works...

lovemyshiba
07-25-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by aly
Sometimes putting their poop in the hole works :o

It would only make Kito dig more:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions--I thought about the concrete, too, but what about Chip?? I guess he could dig his way out right??

zanzanfergie
07-26-2003, 05:39 AM
I can't remember where I read it, but apparently burying a (blown-up) balloon in the area where they dig can stop them persisting, since they get a fright when it bursts as they dig at it. It sounds like it could work, but I think I'd be a little reluctant to try it unless you were really desperate. It seems like there could be gentler ways of discouraging him.

Good luck!

anna_66
07-26-2003, 08:27 AM
I was gonna say the poop thing works for us, but obviously not for Kito man:o
So sorry I don't have any more suggestions, but all the others were wonderful. I hope one of them works for you.
I know how you feel about the holes, Roxey & Huney did the same thing digging for moles. But sadly it wasn't just in one place....it was all over the yard:eek:

Good Luck!

Pam
07-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Bella used to be a real digger too, and it often was in my flowerbed! :eek: I had actually put bricks and slate in the flowerbed to discourage her and it did help considerably. Since we got Ripley she hasn't dug a thing. I think he helps to keep her out of trouble when she is outside! :p :rolleyes:

Tonya
07-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Roxy was a bad digger, I put poop in the holes. For the first few weeks, she kept digging. But I guess she finally got grossed out and quit. lol.