PDA

View Full Version : shopping can be dangerous..............

carole
07-24-2003, 08:53 PM
I guess this is my week for raving and ranting about things that really bother me in this world today, so folk's bear with me.

Today I had a lucky escape from serious injury.

Let me explain, we had a frost here this morning, so everything was kinda white and crisp.

I decided to visit our large warehouse shop just up the road, I was walking across the car park, and not visible to me was Ice on the tarseal, you know how ice can sometimes not be visible, and I nearly fell, I was extremely lucky to not have, sure gave me a scare though.

I thought I would do the decent thing, and tell the shop, so they could put a warning sign up and prevent some person having a serious, painful injury.

On leaving the shop, I noticed nothing had been done about it, I thought to myself why did I even bother.

Now I know in America, one could probably sue, if you were injured in these circumstances, but not here in NZ.

The shop owner's do have to have public liability insurance, but I wonder, as this was outside the shop, would anyone pay If I had been injured.

We do have ACC which cover's so much, but not everything.

Has this happened to you, and what do you think?

Airedalekisses
07-24-2003, 09:16 PM
In Indiana we have a law about cleaning the ice and snow off of sidewalks and such and if the merchants don't- they can be fined. They, also, have the merchants' association so they all have to pay liability insurance. Of course a lot of Americans are sue happy-there was a TV show about people staging falls on wet floors in hospitals to get money-the insurance investigators followed them to see if they really were hurt-most of them weren't- it was all a big scam. Glad you're alright-wish it would be crisp here-blech-85F and the humidity is horrid.